Non actors appearing as themselves.

What's not currently on the box
SgtPepper
625 lines

Non actors appearing as themselves.

Post by SgtPepper »

I was sifting through some old VHS tapes from years ago when I used to record the soaps for my late Mother. Ian Botham suddenly appeared in an episode of Emmerdale as himself. I got to thinking about other famous people who had appeared in programmes similarly. I remember Linford Christie and David Bellamy in Grange Hill and Richard Branson and Barry Gibb in Only Fools and Horses. I'm sure people who watch a lot more TV than I do could probably think of loads more ........... so over to you :-) ....

Simon36
HD

Re: Non actors appearing as themselves.

Post by Simon36 »

Paula Yates in Brookside. Graeme Souness in Boys From The Blackstuff. And oh dear... Morecambe and Wise in The Sweeney!

Why do they do it, it never works!

I seem to recall Eamonn Holmes in Brookside once too. Morrissey in Due South, the Brookside spin-off. (Blimey, it really was a Liverpool thing!)

Peter Purves as a tv interviewer in EastEnders (though not specifically as himself, I think).

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Other 1980s Brookside real-life guests include Russell Grant and (after a fashion) the Pope.

Its disconcerting, when you rewatch the celebrated 1994 lesbian kiss within the context of the whole episode, to realise that the famous encounter was originally very much second fiddle to an exciting guest appearance by Bruce Grobbelaar.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Michael Meacher MP in Edge of Darkness.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

ghughesarch
405 lines

Post by ghughesarch »

The Queen in Coronation Street

David Smith
405 lines

Post by David Smith »

ghughesarch wrote:The Queen in Coronation Street
Not strictly true if you're referring to when they shoehorned her Christmas broadcast into the episode on Christmas Day 1991 - all that happened was that Alf Roberts announced he was about to watch it, whereupon the episode cut away to the broadcast. She didn't technically appear *in* Corrie.

However, Prince Charles did, kind of, in the live episode in 2000, via a news clip the Rovers staff were watching, in which he appeared to be being presented to Audrey Roberts - cunningly, this was a genuine ITN clip from earlier in the day where Charles was meeting Sue Nicholls who plays Audrey. Quite how they contrived the "Audrey" meeting into the storyline, meanwhile, I can't quite remember. Was Audrey still Lady Mayoress then, would it have been in this capacity?

Staying with Corrie and titled folk, the Duke of Bedford appeared as himself in 1973, when some of the residents paid a visit to Woburn Abbey.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

Thatcher in Yes Minister immediately springs to mind.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

spflog1 wrote:Thatcher in Yes Minister immediately springs to mind.
Margaret Thatcher never appeared in Yes Minister. I presume you're talking about this.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ludovic Kennedy did appear in "Yes Minister" of course, ( as himself) and very funny it was too.!

There were loads of examples over the years of Actors and presenters appearing as themselves.

David Kossof in "Never Mind The Quality Feel The Width", Arthur Mullard in "Mind Your Language" and Bernie Winters in "Bottle Boys", more or less the same script in all three cases.

Also in "MInd Your Language", Russel Harty and Dickie Davies.

Dickie Davies had also previously appeared as himself in an episode of "Pardon My Genie", along with a load of others, such as Eamonn Andrews, Wendy Craig, Jack Smethurst, Tony Bastable, Susan Stranks and even Puff The Pony ( all Thames stars).

Isla St Clair and Hazel O Connor in "Metal Mickey", and Frazer Hines in "Duty Free".

A very difficult thing to do, in a way, because you appear as yourself, but are saying words written by someone else, therefore speaking and reacting differently than you would in real life...odd.!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Paul and Linda McCartney in Bread.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Graham Souness in Boys from the Black Stuff

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

Brock wrote:
spflog1 wrote:Thatcher in Yes Minister immediately springs to mind.
Margaret Thatcher never appeared in Yes Minister. I presume you're talking about this.
Yes it was a one off special sketch certainly but it did get televised under the Yes Minister banner, complete with appropriately stylised credits. Granted it was just them sat reading from their scripts and not a full-fledged production of the programme. It's one of the most famous examples of 'Non actors appearing as themselves' that sprung to mind though.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs did the trick in America, where the distinction between character and actor is often less well defined.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

spflog1 wrote: Yes it was a one off special sketch certainly but it did get televised under the Yes Minister banner, complete with appropriately stylised credits.
Did it? As I understand, it was written for an awards ceremony at the National Viewers' and Listeners' Association. It was reported on as part of news bulletins but it wasn't a stand-alone part of broadcast schedules. I've just watched the relevant news report with John Humphrys and you're right in saying that they added some credits to the beginning of the item, but it was definitely a news item rather than an actual programme.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

brigham wrote:Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs did the trick in America, where the distinction between character and actor is often less well defined.
If we're widening the remit to actors appearing as themselves, how about Richard Wilson in Father Ted? Or George Hamilton and George Wendt in Birds of a Feather?

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

I think Jonathan Ross also played himself in Only Fools and Horses. He was the compare of a fictitious Who Wants to be a Millionaire type show that Delboy went on in one of the appalling last episodes that I haven't bothered to watch since the original broadcast.

The Lurker In The Shadows
405 lines

Post by The Lurker In The Shadows »

Michael Parkinson, Sarah Greene (okay, she had been an actress but was better known as a presenter), Mike Smith (and Craig Charles, though obviously he's also an actor), all appeared as themselves in Ghostwatch. Parkinson had previously appeared as himself in another horror setting, in the Vincent Price and Peter Cushing film Madhouse.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

There must be more musicians appearing as themselves in America. Johnny Cash comes to mind, although I can't think of an example.
He was thinly-disguised in Columbo, once.

DavidAbsalom
405 lines

Post by DavidAbsalom »

World of Pub got Germaine Greer to come on and do a karaoke version of Stand By Your Man.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Ken Livingstone in Drop the Dead Donkey,
Dickie Davis in Budgie,
Quite a few from Doctor Who: Richard Dawkins springs to mind,
Professor Steven Hawkins in The Big Bang Theory,
Gary Linekar in An Evening With Gary Linekar - that's not a cheat 'link',
Gary Linekar also appeared as a child who wished himself into Gary Linekar in Bernard and the Genie, so I'm not sure that this counts,
Neil Kinnock in Stella ...
... and seeing as I'm currently binge watching this on Netflix, Mariella Frustrup in Coupling ...

All that spring to mind at the moment.

bent_halo
Committee

Post by bent_halo »

Pet Shop Boys were repeat offenders, in Home and Away (Chris only) and The Archers.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Georgie Fame in "Yes Honestly" (he also did the feem toon) I should have remembered that one as I only watched it recently.

Wasn't Lulu in "Ab Fab"..?

Does Kenneth Kendall count...?...did loads of shows (inc "Who") credited as Newsreader.

bent_halo
Committee

Post by bent_halo »

Rather a lot of this in "Compact", I suppose.

ghughesarch
405 lines

Post by ghughesarch »

David Smith wrote:
ghughesarch wrote:The Queen in Coronation Street
Not strictly true if you're referring to when they shoehorned her Christmas broadcast into the episode on Christmas Day 1991 - all that happened was that Alf Roberts announced he was about to watch it, whereupon the episode cut away to the broadcast. She didn't technically appear *in* Corrie.

However, Prince Charles did, kind of, in the live episode in 2000, via a news clip the Rovers staff were watching, in which he appeared to be being presented to Audrey Roberts - cunningly, this was a genuine ITN clip from earlier in the day where Charles was meeting Sue Nicholls who plays Audrey. Quite how they contrived the "Audrey" meeting into the storyline, meanwhile, I can't quite remember. Was Audrey still Lady Mayoress then, would it have been in this capacity?

Staying with Corrie and titled folk, the Duke of Bedford appeared as himself in 1973, when some of the residents paid a visit to Woburn Abbey.
You're right - I was thinking of the "meeting Audrey Roberts" thing, I was quite sure that was HM, not HRH.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

bent_halo wrote:Rather a lot of this in "Compact", I suppose.
You would have thought so, wouldn't you...but I can't spot anyone...same goes for "Emergency Ward 10".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

David Smith wrote:
The Duke also appeared as himself in the 60's film "The Iron Maiden", which was partially done at the Abbey.

Staying on films for a mo, saw Fyfe ("Hellloo") Robertson in "What A Whopper", last weekend, great film.

Xrds1895
405 lines

Post by Xrds1895 »

Larry Grayson made two appearances in Crossroads. Firstly he appeared as an irate Motel guest complaining about the state of his chalet. Apparently he went off script and started improvising in true Grayson style, until a cut to credits was organised. Sadly, as this is one of the two thousand or more wiped episodes, we'll never know what this looked like.
Secondly, in episode 2302 he appeared as the chauffer who drives Meg and Hugh away from their wedding reception, giving a wonderful look to camera. This episode is out there and has been released on DVD courtesy of Network.

David Smith
405 lines

Post by David Smith »

Scraping the barrel here but didn't Hunter from Gladiators (I think he was Hunter - Ulrika's fella) turn up in Emmerdale once, through some contrivance or other?

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

A couple of sporting ones:

Bobby Moore in "Till Death us Do Part" as an irate motorist who the West Ham supporting Alf Garnett had just given a V sign to. (I think Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters were passengers in the car as well)

Tony Jacklin in an episode of Sykes (Eric being golf mad of course)

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Mike Berry in The Olympian Way,
Emma Bunton in Absolutely Fabulous and the last series of Not Going Out,
Numerous appearances in The Goodies: e.g. Tony Blackburn, Michael Aspel, Robert Dougal, Eddie Waring (I'm sure that there are loads more) ...