Non actors appearing as themselves.

What's not currently on the box
Mickey
625 lines

Re: Non actors appearing as themselves.

Post by Mickey »

Liberace turned up in an episode of "Kojak". Very odd cameo! That was the final season of "Kojak" when, after years as a fairly realistic (as these things go) police drama, it decided to try to take a page out of "Starsky & Hutch"'s book, and lob in an element of comedy. This was very much one of the more comedic episodes, and features Kojak taking a lengthy time out in the middle of a supposedly vital investigation, in order to discuss frozen yoghurt with Liberace. One of the odder sentences that I've written this week!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

wittoner wrote:A couple of sporting ones:

Bobby Moore in "Till Death us Do Part" as an irate motorist who the West Ham supporting Alf Garnett had just given a V sign to. (I think Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters were passengers in the car as well)

Tony Jacklin in an episode of Sykes (Eric being golf mad of course)
Talking of "Sykes" there was the 77 Christmas episode, with Sylvia Peters popping up as Eric's dream.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Mickey wrote:Liberace turned up in an episode of "Kojak". Very odd cameo! That was the final season of "Kojak" when, after years as a fairly realistic (as these things go) police drama, it decided to try to take a page out of "Starsky & Hutch"'s book, and lob in an element of comedy. This was very much one of the more comedic episodes, and features Kojak taking a lengthy time out in the middle of a supposedly vital investigation, in order to discuss frozen yoghurt with Liberace. One of the odder sentences that I've written this week!
Bit like that "Sweeney" episode, that Simon mentioned earlier in the thread, with Eric and Ern, reality goes out of the window for a bit of fun.!

ghughesarch
405 lines

Post by ghughesarch »

Xrds1895 wrote:Larry Grayson made two appearances in Crossroads. Firstly he appeared as an irate Motel guest complaining about the state of his chalet. Apparently he went off script and started improvising in true Grayson style, until a cut to credits was organised. Sadly, as this is one of the two thousand or more wiped episodes, we'll never know what this looked like.
Secondly, in episode 2302 he appeared as the chauffer who drives Meg and Hugh away from their wedding reception, giving a wonderful look to camera. This episode is out there and has been released on DVD courtesy of Network.
Arthur Marshall of "Call My Bluff" fame had a bit part in Crossroads too, I think after a TV interview in which he expressed a wish to do so.
(Edit - just found it one of those site we aren't allowed to link to, not the usual one. A stilted performance, I think one could say, but in that company it's hardly noticeable)

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

When Larry Grayson appeared in Crossroads was he actually appearing as "Larry Grayson" or was it just bit part cameo rolls as an "ordinary" person?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

"Father Christmas as Himself" seemed to pop up in the credits of rather a lot of Christmas specials at one time.

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

Anne Diamond as herself in an episode of Filthy Rich and Catflap.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

Brock wrote:
spflog1 wrote: Yes it was a one off special sketch certainly but it did get televised under the Yes Minister banner, complete with appropriately stylised credits.
Did it? As I understand, it was written for an awards ceremony at the National Viewers' and Listeners' Association. It was reported on as part of news bulletins but it wasn't a stand-alone part of broadcast schedules. I've just watched the relevant news report with John Humphrys and you're right in saying that they added some credits to the beginning of the item, but it was definitely a news item rather than an actual programme.
You seem to be mistaken in the belief that I'm stating that it was an actual programme; I'm certainly not. I'm aware it was broadcast as a news item, although a rather strange one that actually featured a special version of the regular programme's titles.

I wasn't aware that it was filmed at an awards ceremony for the National Viewers' and Listeners' Association however. That explains the presence of Mary Whitehouse in the background. Shame really. Knowing that puts a bit of a dampener on the whole thing.

squidney
405 lines

Post by squidney »

Richard Baker in 'Monty Python.'
Richard Branson in 'Friends'
George Harrison in 'Rutland Weekend Television'
Kate Bush in ' The Comic Strip'

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

I keep on returning to Only Fools and Horses, but I remember Mike Read sort of appearing in it as a Top of the Pops presenter on a TV they were watching. Also newsreader Richard Whitmore made a couple of appearances in similar circumstances reading news bulletins on a TV.

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

In the Lucille Ball shows, particularly The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy this happened regularly. But then it often depends on who is considered an actor or a non-actor, it's a bit of a grey area. Are people like George Burns, Ethel Merman, Bob Hope, Paul Winchell, Jack Benny, Johnny Carson and Milton Berle, actors? They're all primarily known for something else (comedians, singers, a ventriloquist and a TV host) but have certainly dabbled in acting.

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

Apparently Parfitt and Rossi from Status Quo were in Coronation Street. It's a world gone mad. :-)

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

Morecambe and Wise in 'The Sweeney' (episode 'Hearts and Minds', s4e11, 23 November 1978)

Boy George in 'The A-Team' (episode 'Cowboy George', s4e16, 25 October 1986)

David Smith
405 lines

Post by David Smith »

SgtPepper wrote:Apparently Parfitt and Rossi from Status Quo were in Coronation Street. It's a world gone mad. :-)
They certainly were - they ultimately brought about the exit storyline for Sarah's mate Candice, who departed to go on the road as the Quo's hairdresser! And there can't be many examples of fictional characters going off with real-life people - get your head round that one... :)

perov
405 lines

Post by perov »

David Smith wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:Apparently Parfitt and Rossi from Status Quo were in Coronation Street. It's a world gone mad. :-)
They certainly were - they ultimately brought about the exit storyline for Sarah's mate Candice, who departed to go on the road as the Quo's hairdresser! And there can't be many examples of fictional characters going off with real-life people - get your head round that one... :)
Didn't Les Battersby go with them as a Roadie?

Mike Read appeared in the Midsommer Murders episode The Axeman Cometh, introducing the band on stage.
He told me it took 2 days filming for a 30 second appearance on screen.

Martin Bicknell Surrey and England cricketer appeared in Heartbeat.
Ian Botham also appeared as himself in Trollied.

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

perov wrote:
Presumably not as himself. Though with the way the 60's dragged on indefinitely in Heartbeat it's not impossible.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

SgtPepper wrote:
perov wrote:
Presumably not as himself. Though with the way the 60's dragged on indefinitely in Heartbeat it's not impossible.
In a similar vein, I believe that Simon Bates made an appearance in the 1960's-set The Royal as a visiting DJ (IIRC). Obviously not as himself, but still a non-actor appearing as someone who isn't a million miles away from themselves.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Cole wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:
perov wrote:
In a similar vein, I believe that Simon Bates made an appearance in the 1960's-set The Royal as a visiting DJ (IIRC). Obviously not as himself, but still a non-actor appearing as someone who isn't a million miles away from themselves.
Ooh...in that case, we can have Fred Trueman in "Dad's Army".

ray lomas
405 lines

Post by ray lomas »

squidney wrote:Richard Baker in 'Monty Python.'
Peter Woods as well (Light Entertainment War).
Lulu and Ringo Starr also appear in an episode, albeit briefly, right at the end of the show and neither speak any lines.

If we're counting sketch shows then, there was a Rivron/Brint sketch in French and Saunders which featured David Gilmour, Ralph McTell, Lemmy, Mark King and Gary Moore.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Corbett Woodall managed to do a Kenneth Kendall and appear as 'Newsreader' in many shows, including a number of "Goodies", and there was also Raymond Baxter's famous appearance in the "String" episode.

Patrick Lichfield in "Keeping Up Appearances".

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

Mark wrote:Corbett Woodall managed to do a Kenneth Kendall and appear as 'Newsreader' in many shows, including a number of "Goodies", and there was also Raymond Baxter's famous appearance in the "String" episode.
Which reminds me - Kenneth Kendall in "Adam Adamant Lives!" (and quite a lot of other things, though he actually is properly involved in the plot in AAL). In the episode 'The Doomsday Plan', he and a few other newsreaders get kidnapped.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, I also liked his brief turn in "The War Machines".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Just put Peter Jones in the 'Actor Writer' thread, and in the 4ex repeated Radio episode of "Were In Business" , it featured Harry Worth as himself.

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

Mention of Raymond Baxter above reminds me that he also appeared as himself in a radio "Hancock's Half Hour" -- Something to do with Hancock competing in The Monte Carlo rally IIRR.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

wittoner wrote:Mention of Raymond Baxter above reminds me that he also appeared as himself in a radio "Hancock's Half Hour" -- Something to do with Hancock competing in The Monte Carlo rally IIRR.
Oh yes...good one, that episode survives, alongside Raymond Baxter, there's Brian Johnston as well.

In both the Radio and TV version, Vera Lynn in "Whacko!"

Another one from "Doctor Who", Courtney Pine in "Silver Nemesis".

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

wittoner wrote:Mention of Raymond Baxter above reminds me that he also appeared as himself in a radio "Hancock's Half Hour" -- Something to do with Hancock competing in The Monte Carlo rally IIRR.
Raymond Baxter was the "go to" man for anything motor racing related. He did all the race commentaries for the 1966 movie epic Grand Prix, but subsequently refused John Frankenheimer's lucrative offer to shoot additional scenes in the USA, choosing instead to honour his commitment to present Tomorrow's World at a fraction of the money. Consequently all Baxter's contributions were removed from the film bar a short appearance near the end.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Ronco wrote:Anne Diamond as herself in an episode of Filthy Rich and Catflap.
And the Nolan Sisters!
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Raymond Baxter was the "go to" man for anything motor racing related. He did all the race commentaries for the 1966 movie epic Grand Prix, but subsequently refused John Frankenheimer's lucrative offer to shoot additional scenes in the USA, choosing instead to honour his commitment to present Tomorrow's World at a fraction of the money. Consequently all Baxter's contributions were removed from the film bar a short appearance near the end.
He's actually referred to as 'The BBC's Motoring Correspondent", in the "Hancock" episode, and he's also in the Stanley Baxter film, "The Fast Lady" ( as is John Surtees and Graham Hill).

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Mark wrote:He's actually referred to as 'The BBC's Motoring Correspondent", in the "Hancock" episode, and he's also in the Stanley Baxter film, "The Fast Lady" ( as is John Surtees and Graham Hill).
That's a good one. My often watched off-air VHS recording didn't contain the motor racing dream sequence, it came as a marvellous surprise when I finally got The Fast Lady on DVD.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Really...got the chop did it?...great scene in a brilliant film.

Talking Pictures TV have shown it a few times, think it's on again this week.