Actor/Writers

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

Actor/Writers

Post by Mark »

With the mention of Actor Richardson Morgan writing the best remembered episode "The Old Banger" in the "Tales Of Unease" thread, it's a good example of Actors making very good writers, and there have been many over the years.

Kenneth Cope wrote for the excellent "Village Hall" series, as did Donald Churchill.

Barbara Clegg wrote for "Doctor Who", and so did John Flanagan and Andrew McCulloch.

George Layton wrote alone and with fellow Actor Jonathan Lynn.

Rio Fanning ( Harker in "Who" serial "Horror Of Fang Rock") wrote many episodes of "Eastenders" amongst other series.

Barbara Angell, who played a frustrated woman in "Doctor In The House" and the even more frustrated wife ( for different reasons) of Edgar Briggs in "Top Secret Life Of Edgar Briggs", wrote for Dave Allen and went on to contribute scripts to "Home And Away" and "Neighbours".

Betty Paul, one of the stars of the Radio show "Up The Pole" ( the one surviving episode on 4ex at the moment) together with her husband Peter Lambda, went on to create "Weavers Green", and write for "Harriet's Back In Town" and "Marked Personal".

Anyone have any other favourites.?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

DavidAbsalom
405 lines

Re: Actor/Writers

Post by DavidAbsalom »

Lesley Sands, familiar throughout 60s and 70s TV as bluff Northerner type, also wrote plays and TV episodes.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Good one, always liked him, he was excellent in the starring role of "Cluff", wouldn't mind seeing surviving episodes of that one.

There was also Glyn Jones, another "Who" writer ( he also went on to appear in it) as well as working on "Here Come The Double Deckers".

Terence Brady, who, together with his wife Charlotte Bingham, wrote episodes of "Upstairs Downstairs" and their own series "No/Yes Honestly", and "Pig In The Middle", ( he took over the male lead from Dinsdale Landen in series 2).

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Terence Frisby wrote the play and film There's a Girl in My Soup and the Jimmy Mulville sitcom That's Love. He was also an actor and appeared in That's Love as well.

Richard Carpenter, who wrote Catweazle, The Ghosts of Motley Hall, Robin of Sherwood etc began as an actor often in live TV of the Fifties and early-Sixties as well as films and film series of that era.

Barry Letts is best remembered as a producer, but he wrote several scripts including episodes of Doctor Who and Moonbase as well as a couple of classics serials amongst others and began as an actor, often seen in the live BBC drama serials and plays of the 50s/60s.

Bob Grant and Stephen Lewis, respectively Jack and Blakey in On the Buses, wrote a handful of episodes for the show.

And Mike Pratt, who died so young, not only starred in Randal and Hopkirk (Deceased) but also co-wrote the episode A Disturbing Case. In his younger days he helped write songs with Lionel Bart for Tommy Steele ("Rock With the Cavemen") and also with Steele himself ("A Handful of Songs") as well as playing instruments in Steele's band. As a result of this, he and Bart co-wrote the story The Duke Wore Jeans, which became a Tommy Steele film with a script by Norman Hudis.

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

Michael Landon wrote (and directed, and produced) a lot of stuff over the years, beginning of course with "Bonanza", and then going on to more or less run the whole show with "Little House On The Prairie" and "Highway To Heaven". He won a few awards over the years for his writing.

Bradley Whitford, who played Josh on "The West Wing" wrote a couple of episodes of that show, which is no mean achievement. Both episodes very well received.

At the other end of the scale. Stephanie Zimbalist of "Remington Steele" wrote an episode of that, but I rather wish she hadn't bothered!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Don't recall the Steph written "Steele" episode, not good eh?...Landon was a clever chap though.

Some good ones there Ross, Mike Pratt was also responsible for the hit "Little White Bull", still have the original single of that.

ISTR Lewis and Grant also contributed to the Look-In comic strip.

Barry Letts is another good one, reminded me of both Derrick Sherwin and Trevor Ray.

Also Patrick McGoohan, of course on "The Prisoner".

David Barry wrote for "The Fenn Street Gang".

Just reminded myself, that Mackenzie Crook wrote "The Detectorists".

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

A friend has just reminded me that Ian McCulloch wrote several episodes of "Survivors". Her least favourite of the bunch, it seems!

The episode of "Remington Steele" that SZ wrote is called 'Steele In The Chips', and it's about the invention of a supposedly calorie-free chocolate chip cookie - inspired, apparently, by her love of chocolate. The humour is very broad, and of the falling over style, whereas usually the show had a more sophisticated air to it, being inspired by the screwball comedies of old. I daresay it's not all that bad really, but it's decidedly not to my tastes!

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Norman Painting, aka Bruno Milna, for THE ARCHERS.

Ray Dunbobbin penned a Z CARS, Julian Fellowes has written a thing or two, DW's MEGLOS writers...

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Colin Welland, of course.

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

Ross wrote:And Mike Pratt, who died so young, not only starred in Randal and Hopkirk (Deceased) but also co-wrote the episode A Disturbing Case. In his younger days he helped write songs with Lionel Bart for Tommy Steele ("Rock With the Cavemen") and also with Steele himself ("A Handful of Songs") as well as playing instruments in Steele's band. As a result of this, he and Bart co-wrote the story The Duke Wore Jeans, which became a Tommy Steele film with a script by Norman Hudis.
Pratt also wrote the music for the stage musical version of Malcolm Hulke and Eric Paice's Armchair Theatre play 'The Big Client'.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

There was the actor and occasional writer Henry Soskin, who became better known for his writings once he started using the name Henry Lincoln. He also co-wrote with Barbara Clegg, who is mentioned above.

Patrick Cargill occasionally wrote: a play he co-authored - "Ring for Catty" - was the basis for the films Carry On Nurse and Twice Around the Daffodils. For television he wrote one episode of Top Secret, a series in which he co-starred.

Wendy Craig wrote or co-wrote a number of editions of And Mother Makes Five and Laura and Disorder using the name Jonathan Marr. I have seen it claimed that the name was a joint pseudonym for Craig and her husband Jack Bentley, or just for Craig on her own. Perhaps, at different times, both are true.

Trevor Bowen, of course, as T. R. Bowen - perhaps the best at keeping both careers going simultaneously.

Jimmy Nail, who wrote Crocodile Shoes and much of Spender.

Lynda La Plante, who acted as Lynda Marchal in the 60s, 70s and first half of the 80s before her writing career really took off.

Terence Frisby, mentioned by Ross, above, was probably most famous as a TV writer for having written the play "And Some Have Greatness Thrust Upon Them" over which he, and the BBC, went to court.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

DavidAbsalom wrote:Lesley Sands, familiar throughout 60s and 70s TV as bluff Northerner type, also wrote plays and TV episodes.

Yes he wrote himself a good part in one of the AT shows.....he played a comatose patient.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Mickey wrote:A friend has just reminded me that Ian McCulloch wrote several episodes of "Survivors". Her least favourite of the bunch, it seems!

The episode of "Remington Steele" that SZ wrote is called 'Steele In The Chips', and it's about the invention of a supposedly calorie-free chocolate chip cookie - inspired, apparently, by her love of chocolate. The humour is very broad, and of the falling over style, whereas usually the show had a more sophisticated air to it, being inspired by the screwball comedies of old. I daresay it's not all that bad really, but it's decidedly not to my tastes!
Oh yes, should have thought of McCulloch, I liked his episodes, but he wrote himself out of the series, and as he was my favourite character in it, I didn't much care for that idea.!

Thank's for Steph info, will have to catch up on that one, supposedly she and Brosnan didn't exactly get on, so it would be interesting to know what he thought of that one.

Again, some other great examples, Simon's mention of Colin Welland, he actually plays a hack writer in one of the "Village Hall" plays.

Mention of "Top Secret", the William Franklyn series...ahh, if only we could see some of that, all gone though, ironically we can still see the Schweppes ads that the brilliant Franklyn did, on the back of his "Top Secret" fame.

There is also Ronnie Barker of course, as well as Pauline Devaney and Edwin Apps ("All Gas And Gaiters") and Phllip Levene, ("The Avengers").

Barry Letts may be a contender for the record of all rounder, Actor, Director, Writer, Producer...there can't be many capable of being a potential 'One man band'.!

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

Mark wrote:Thank's for Steph info, will have to catch up on that one, supposedly she and Brosnan didn't exactly get on, so it would be interesting to know what he thought of that one.
He frequently cites it as his favourite episode. He's always careful to be very complimentary about her. Whatever their "issues" (she's very right wing, he's very left wing; he was very popular with the crew, she wasn't so much; she felt she should have been the break out star, but he was), most of it boils down to them just being two very different people.
Mark wrote:Barry Letts may be a contender for the record of all rounder, Actor, Director, Writer, Producer...there can't be many capable of being a potential 'One man band'.!
Michael Landon, as mentioned above, but yes, it's a pretty small group. Should have mentioned Peter Davison of course: he wrote "The Five(ish) Doctors", which for many of us was the best bit of the recent 50th celebration. He's also written a fair bit of music.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Peter Tilbury: Shelley, It Takes a Worried Man, etc.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Just remembered Gwen Cherrell to add to the list.

Don Lockwood
405 lines

Post by Don Lockwood »

I've been expecting someone to say Arnold Ridley since this thread began - so I'll do it instead!

Wrote The Ghost Train of course, and several other plays including Beggar My Neighbour which I think was the basis for the film Meet Mr Lucifer.

Don Lockwood
405 lines

Post by Don Lockwood »

Oh, and Alan Alda - some of his M*A*S*H episodes number among my favourites, though I realise not everyone feels the same way!

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Mickey wrote:A friend has just reminded me that Ian McCulloch wrote several episodes of "Survivors". Her least favourite of the bunch, it seems!...
Ian McCulloch could easily have written his character up in his three episodes but he didn't. In fact in the second one, 'A Little learning', its the opposite in that a gang of kids get the better of him. So I admired that about his writing. Less pleased that in all three of his episodes he wasn't averse to having Greg carry a gun.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Richard (Ricardo) Montez, Juan in Mind Your Language, wrote 13 episodes of the children series Freewheelers.

Bodie
625 lines

Post by Bodie »

Ian Marter.

David Smith
405 lines

Post by David Smith »

In the world of soaps, Ian Smith who was Harold Bishop on Neighbours also wrote for the show, and Bob Mason who played Renee Roberts' brother Terry Bradshaw for a while in Corrie in the 1970s, also later wrote some episodes.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Dirk Bogarde became a much less prolific actor from the late-1970s onwards, but he devoted his energies to writing and published six novels and an astonishing eight memoirs, as well as writing articles for papers and magazines.

He adapted his second novel, Voices in the Garden, as a Screen Two episode and also adapted a Graham Greene short story, May We Borrow Your Husband?, as an ITV play.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Bodie wrote:Ian Marter.
Didn't he 'just' do novelisations of existing material (e.g. DW Target books) rather than any original material - probably doing him a dis-service but I can't remember him writing anything for tv or film.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Private Frazer wrote:So I admired that about his writing. Less pleased that in all three of his episodes he wasn't averse to having Greg carry a gun.
Really? Far more logical than the way in which the rubbish re-make approached the issue.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Private Frazer wrote:So I admired that about his writing. Less pleased that in all three of his episodes he wasn't averse to having Greg carry a gun.
Really? Far more logical than the way in which the rubbish re-make approached the issue.
I prefer episodes where they don't carry guns but get round them as in 'Gone Away' * where Jenny snatches a gun carried by the vigilanties at the shop.

*apart from Tom Price hunting
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

[quote="Mickey"]He frequently cites it as his favourite episode. He's always careful to be very complimentary about her. Whatever their "issues" (she's very right wing, he's very left wing; he was very popular with the crew, she wasn't so much; she felt she should have been the break out star, but he was), most of it boils down to them just being two very different people.

{quote]

Ah right, interesting, bit like Leonard Rossiter and Frances De La Tour, then, although politically the other war around.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

drmih wrote:
Bodie wrote:Ian Marter.
Didn't he 'just' do novelisations of existing material (e.g. DW Target books) rather than any original material - probably doing him a dis-service but I can't remember him writing anything for tv or film.
He did do the book "Harry Sullivan's War" and collaborated with Tom Baker on the film treatment for "Dr Who Meets The Scratchman.

He also wrote a TV script, which obviously didn't get made, he told me the details of it once, sounded interesting, from what I can recall.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ian Wegg wrote:Richard (Ricardo) Montez, Juan in Mind Your Language, wrote 13 episodes of the children series Freewheelers.
Ooh yeah, that's a good one, he was another very talented chap.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Mention on "Babs" tonight, of "The Rag Trade", which reminded me that Peter Jones wrote the odd Play and TV series.