Duchess of Duke Street DVD query....

What's not currently on the box
lovecraft
625 lines

Duchess of Duke Street DVD query....

Post by lovecraft »

I am thinking of picking this series up and was swaying between what appears to be a Dutch complete collection and the BBC Playback sets which break the whole thing up into four.

I then came across an amazon review for the playback sets which suggested that the episodes were edited together TV movie style with 3 eps splodged into one with just one set of opening and closing credits.

Is this really the case - seems unusual with a BBC title. If so, is the Dutch one the same. Can anyone advise?

Brian F
D-MAC

Re: Duchess of Duke Street DVD query....

Post by Brian F »

Playback Series One certainly seems to be edited together. I bought this for my mum and there is no select episode on the menu just play all or chapter select, a quick fast forward shows no end of episode credits, so I assume the rest are the same. I'm sure there was a lot of complaints on the forums at the time (2002).

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

The current UK sets of DUCHESS and POLDARK are direct ports of the Margot Eavis edited VHS compilations from the 90s.

For some reason Playback let their rights in the similarly butchered* ONEDIN LINE releases lapse, (allowing 2E to issue them unedited), but stumped up for t'other two series to remain in it's back catalogue. Very annoying.

(* yes, I use "butchered" deliberately - Eavis was under instructions to remove as many extraneous actors that needed paying as possible, was set certain running times and produced unsympathetic stodges of programming that destroy any intentions of the original production teams. Her two times three-hour evisceration of ANNA KARENINA is appallingly done.

lovecraft
625 lines

Post by lovecraft »

Good job the Polark I just got was the Dutch one then.

As for the DODS - is the Dutch or R1 Acorn release in episodic format?

Gareth
405 lines

Post by Gareth »

The Dutch Series 1 set is episodic, though sadly their Series 2 set is the Margot Eavis edit. The complete Series 1 and Series 2 US Region 1 set is entirely episodic.
Hope this helps.

lovecraft
625 lines

Post by lovecraft »

Great. I had kind of worked out the R1 was the way to go but thanks for confirming.

So, why exactly were these horrendous edits made again and perhaps more strangely, why did the BBC stick with them for the DVD release. A crap decision.

VintageFan
405 lines

Post by VintageFan »

I've noticed the Australian DVD release of the Duchess of Duke Street for sale on a certain Auction site. Anyone know if these are episodic?