British TV: 50 years ago

What's not currently on the box
ayrshireman
625 lines

British TV: 50 years ago

Post by ayrshireman »

An excellent blog I came across today, covers what was on TV 50 years ago to the day of writing.

http://tvminus50.blogspot.co.uk/

Bodie
625 lines

Re: British TV: 50 years ago

Post by Bodie »

Thanks for the tip-off, ayrshireman.

Great to see some positive comments about the ATV Hancocks, and screenshots too!

Dandy Forsdyke
405 lines

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Obviously, it The Avengers episodes I'm most interested in reading, but it's very useful to read it in context.

Thanks for the info. Will pass it on.

Tim D
405 lines

Post by Tim D »

That's a really nice idea. It reminds of something that was being done on the old MC forum where members watched the same titles together and discussed them on the forum. I was looking through the TV Times from 1963 and thanks to Network, a lot of the programmes are available on DVD. A friend and I have often picked out and shared the same vintage television schedule and discussed the programmes afterwards for a bit of fun. It really helps to put the programmes into context, especially when you can pull in other cultural and news events. It might be fun if MC'ers wanted to do the same thing using 1963's schedules as a structure? Especially with the days of the week falling the same way they did fifty years ago. I'm game if anyone else is up for it?

It could make for an interesting future Kaleidoscope event to recreate a full schedule as near as is possible.

Okay, okay, I'll get my anorak :)

Jezza
625 lines

Post by Jezza »

Tim D wrote:
That's a really nice idea. It reminds of something that was being done on the old MC forum where members watched the same titles together and discussed them on the forum. I was looking through the TV Times from 1963 and thanks to Network, a lot of the programmes are available on DVD. A friend and I have often picked out and shared the same vintage television schedule and discussed the programmes afterwards for a bit of fun. It really helps to put the programmes into context, especially when you can pull in other cultural and news events. It might be fun if MC'ers wanted to do the same thing using 1963's schedules as a structure? Especially with the days of the week falling the same way they did fifty years ago. I'm game if anyone else is up for it?

It could make for an interesting future Kaleidoscope event to recreate a full schedule as near as is possible.

Okay, okay, I'll get my anorak :)
I tried doing that a while ago, used to check the schedules from 40 years ago and see how many shows i can watch from that day!

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Gary Gillatt recommended this blog to me. Quite fascinating! Wonderful to see all these very special and iconic programmes being looked at to give a bit of chronological context to the viewing diet of the time.

All the best

Andrew

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

What a pity that BBC Radio 4 extra didn't broadcast that episode this morning, as they are repeating "The TV Lark" at present. They had the one about the first network broadcast from Troutbridge TV instead.

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

Very interesting stuff, thank you for the link.