Get Some In

What's not currently on the box
Dave Homewood
405 lines

Get Some In

Post by Dave Homewood »

I have been watching Get Some In on Youtube. Though I'd heard of the series and was aware of it for many years I'd never seen anything of it till I discovered it online a few weeks back. I have to say I am very pleased with how funny it is, and also how accurate it is to Air Force matters and way of life. It's a really brilliant series. A few of the situations are a bit silly but most are actually completely plausible and realistic to real basic training and life in general in the Air Force. I can totally relate many of the situations to my own service in 1989-83 in the RNZAF.

Of course the writers are Bob Larbey and John Esmonde, and they went on to produce some ore great shows like The Good Life, and Brush Strokes.

Looking at IMDb I also noted, and this is quite astounding considering it was made between 1973 and 1978,that all the core cast members - Tony Selby, David Janson, Robert Linsey, Gerard Ryder, Brian Pettifer, Karl Howman, and Lori Wells, and even lesser regular character actors like John D. Collins, David Quilter, Nigel Pegram and George Innes, are all still alive! There cannot be any other well known comedies from 40+ years ago that still have all their cast members, surely? Maybe they should make a reunion show, haha. Although Esmonde and Larbey are both no longer with us.

I wonder why Robert Lindsay didn't return for the fifth series only to get replaced as Jakey Smith by Karl Howman. I think Karl did a great job as Jakey but he was not as strong a character as Robert's portrayal. The original Jakey Smith was a brilliant character I reckon.

I wonder what other people here think of this series? Did you enjoy it?

Brock
HD

Re: Get Some In

Post by Brock »

Dave Homewood wrote: Looking at IMDb I also noted, and this is quite astounding considering it was made between 1973 and 1978,that all the core cast members - Tony Selby, David Janson, Robert Linsey, Gerard Ryder, Brian Pettifer, Karl Howman, and Lori Wells, and even lesser regular character actors like John D. Collins, David Quilter, Nigel Pegram and George Innes, are all still alive! There cannot be any other well known comedies from 40+ years ago that still have all their cast members, surely?
That is indeed quite remarkable! Tongue-in-cheek, I was going to suggest Here Come the Double Deckers, but Douglas Simmonds (who played Doughnut) died in 2011.
I wonder why Robert Lindsay didn't return for the fifth series only to get replaced as Jakey Smith by Karl Howman.
"Three-F'd Smifff"? I think it's because he went off to the BBC to play that other Smith, Wolfie (also a brilliant character).
I wonder what other people here think of this series? Did you enjoy it?
I loved it! Haven't watched it since the original transmissions, when I would have been 9-12 years old. I think my favourite character was Matthew Lilley (Gerard Ryder), but they were all good characters and it was a very strong ensemble piece. Corporal Marsh (Tony Selby) was of course the villain of the piece, but I liked the way he was given a fatal flaw by being brilliant at regurgitating information without understanding it.

Wouldn't mind seeing it again to see how it's stood the test of time.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It was a brilliant series, loved it, as a big fan of Esmonde and Larbey.

The reason Lindsay didn't return is because the series ended with season 4, and he went off to do "Citizen Smith", ( having done the pilot) but a newspaper campaign led to the show returning for a fifth run, which didn't do so well in the ratings and the show ended.

The idea for the show came from an episode of Esmonde and Larbey's "The Fenn Street Gang" called "The Thin Yellow Line", Frankie Abbot joins up, and is terrorised by Corporal Elliot, played by...Tony Selby.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Dave Homewood
405 lines

Post by Dave Homewood »

Thanks for that, I might have to seek out this Fenn Street Gang series now, I have never seen that.

Who was Doughnut? I don't even remember that character.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Doughnut was in Here Come the Double Deckers.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Dave Homewood wrote:Thanks for that, I might have to seek out this Fenn Street Gang series now, I have never seen that.
It was a spin-off from Please Sir!, following some of the ex-pupils as they entered the world of work. I vaguely remember it but I don't think it was as popular as the original.
Who was Doughnut? I don't even remember that character.
Nothing to do with Get Some In, as drmih says. Sorry if I confused you!

Dave Homewood
405 lines

Post by Dave Homewood »

Thanks. I have never seen Please Sir! either. All these shows are before my time.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Dave Homewood wrote:Thanks. I have never seen Please Sir! either. All these shows are before my time.
Funnily enough, Paul O'Grady played the theme from Please Sir! in the "classic TV themes" slot on his Radio 2 show last night (and mentioned The Fenn Street Gang as well). It finished in 1972, when I was not quite six, but the theme was unmistakable. Strange how these things stick with you for such a long time.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Please Sir" and "The Fenn Street Gang" are two of my all time favourites, never missed them at the time.

However some find the fourth and final "PS" series and first "FSG" series somewhat patchy, this is because they ran concurrently and each was 21 episodes, so other writers were brought in to lighten Esmonde and Larbey's workload, whilst the episodes were okay, they were perhaps not up to the standard of the two main writers.

"Please Sir!" series 4, also suffered from the loss of 5c and John Alderton, and the show lost direction with characters coming and going.

The "FSG" episode "The Thin Yellow Line", which gave the writers the idea for "Get Some In", was a highly rated episode which was well received by the audience, and so they knew they were on to a winner, just swap the Army for the RAF.

There was also a "Get Some In" stage play in 77, with all of the main cast, except for Lori Wells ( Alice) whose part was taken by Lesley Daine.

Tim Scrafton
405 lines

Post by Tim Scrafton »

There is or was an interview on YouTube, very informal, with Tony Selby. He talks about Get Some In, but he's a bit bitter about it as after Lindsay left and went on to bigger successes, he allegedly had repeats of GSI blocked which Selby was unhappy about as he had a big part in it and he thought this move could have potentially cost him further work on television.

I did eventually see some of this when it was on U.K Gold over 20 years ago, but didn't enjoy it, I'd probably give it another go now though.

TVT_Dave
405 lines

Post by TVT_Dave »

This series has had a run on Forces TV (sky264) earlier this year, and episodes pop up from time to time. However, nothing over the past week!

DB

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Interesting about Lindsay possibly blocking it, there were only two episodes I can think of that were repeated in the 80's, the first episode during the "Best Of British" season in 82, and the Xmas episode, don't think that one was networked though.

Brian Pettifer ( Leckie) popped up in an episode of "My Family", with Robert Lindsay, so presumably there was no bad feeling there.

There was a couple of episodes shown together on Forces TV, a few weeks ago, but not spotted any since.

The only slip in the dynamic was when they all ended up on a nursing course including Marsh, so his authority was lost, although that was corrected, later on.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Running again on Forces TV, weeknights 7.30pm.

Box set available from Network, of course.

Mark
Committee

"Get Some In"

Post by Mark »

Been watching "Get Some In " on Forces TV again, as it's always been a great favourite. and it's up to series 3, Marsh has accidentally burned the erks hut down.

The hut interior,is normally done in the studio of course, but the sound seemed a little echoey, suggesting it was done on location, as it featured controlled fire in the hut, perhaps still too dangerous in front of an audience.

The exteriors of the hut burning down were also spectacular, wonder if it was knocked up by scenery?

It seems the exteriors for Skelton were done at Hobbs Barracks, near Felbridge, Surrey, it was already known that Midham and Druidswater were at RAF Halton, Wendover, Buckinghamshire.

For a bit of extra "Get Some In", here is a local news promo for the stage show on the BFI Player.

"Get Some In"

ian b
D-MAC

Re: "Get Some In"

Post by ian b »

There’s an existing thread here...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3237&p=32063&hilit=Selby#p32063

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Forgot about that one, so I have merged them.

Thinking about it, it's possible the first two series 3 episodes set at Skelton were also done at the Midham location, rather than change during the run.

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

Mark wrote:Interesting about Lindsay possibly blocking it, there were only two episodes I can think of that were repeated in the 80's, the first episode during the "Best Of British" season in 82, and the Xmas episode, don't think that one was networked though.

Brian Pettifer ( Leckie) popped up in an episode of "My Family", with Robert Lindsay, so presumably there was no bad feeling there.

There was a couple of episodes shown together on Forces TV, a few weeks ago, but not spotted any since.

The only slip in the dynamic was when they all ended up on a nursing course including Marsh, so his authority was lost, although that was corrected, later on.

Seem to recall quite a few of Robert's old acting pals from earlier shows used to pop up on My Family !

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, there one or two, Tony Selby did one episode as well, and Hilda Braid was in another one I saw.

On thing about "GSI", they got in a bit of a muddle over the dating of it.

It always said 1955 at the start of each episode, despite the Christmas special after series 1.

I wonder if the Christmas special was a last minute edition to the production, and that caused the initial problem, although series 2 did feature an episode with Marsh remarking to his Wife that a new channel, ITV was starting up, so whether it had been written before the Christmas one or not, I'm not sure.

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

Useless trivia info on My Family, in a 2007 episode Eric Sykes was a guest Star, the Floor Manager for that episode, (and many more) was Julie Sykes, his daughter :-)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

swills wrote:Useless trivia info on My Family, in a 2007 episode Eric Sykes was a guest Star, the Floor Manager for that episode, (and many more) was Julie Sykes, his daughter :-)
Didn't know that one, although there's quite a number of examples of offspring in the biz now.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Friday night's episode of "Get Some In" is my fav one, "Crash Exercise", with Judy Buxton, done entirely on OB as with the series 2 episode "Field Exercise".