Crossovers?

What's not currently on the box
Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Crossovers?

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

These are popular in American television. I don't mean characters from spin-off series interacting with the main show either. As examples, Thomas Magnum appeared on an episode of Murder, She Wrote, and characters from Cheers appeared on an episode of St. Elsewhere.

Can anyone think of examples of this happening on British shows? Again, I don't mean shows that were originally conceived as being connected like Casualty-Holby City, but shows that were originally totally unrelated.

Thanks
Great News Inside, Chums!

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Re: Crossovers?

Post by Simon Coward »

John Barrie and William Gaunt appeared as Sergeant Cork and Constable Marriott in an episode of N. F. Simpson's Four Tall Tinkles on BBC 2 in January 1967.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

The only examples I can think of off the top of my head are from radio: Tim Brooke-Taylor appearing (briefly) as Lady Constance from I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again in an episode of The Burkiss Way; and going back much further, Jack Train appearing as Colonel Chinstrap from ITMA in an episode of The Goon Show.

Presumably in such circumstances the writers of the show would have to gain the permission of the writers of the original show to use their character. Might this be a reason why it doesn't happen more often?

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Various Aardman Studios characters made guest or cameo appearances on Rex the Runt.

ray lomas
405 lines

Post by ray lomas »

Kevin O'Grady, as portrayed by Spike Milligan in Curry and Chips also appeared a few times in Till Death Us Do Part. Johnny Speight recycled a fair bit of the character's dialogue in at least one of the episodes as well.

Controller 2957
625 lines

Post by Controller 2957 »

It's pretty obvious that Ivor Dean played the same character in both The Saint and Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) although for copyright reasons the character was Inspector Teal in The Saint (originated in the novels) and Inspector Large in Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased).
You see, no-one... NO-ONE escapes the new world!!

The Official Timeslip Website
http://www.timeslip.org.uk

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Controller 2957 wrote:It's pretty obvious that Ivor Dean played the same character in both The Saint and Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) although for copyright reasons the character was Inspector Teal in The Saint (originated in the novels) and Inspector Large in Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased).
Oh yes, there have been plenty of "rip-off" characters of this type - for instance, Terry and June Fletcher in Happy Ever After became Terry and June Medford in Terry and June. I think we had a thread about this not long ago.

If we're going down that route, Robert Gillespie played "cynical desk sergeant" in virtually every TV sitcom of the 1970s!

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Not named as such but there were Bodie and Doyle (Larry and Kilner) in the New Avengers, and obviously Drake and No.6

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Slightly surreal but there were characters on the tv etc in Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes from other programmes, not just footage.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Does The Four Oaks Mystery count? A one-ff for ITV's 1992 Telethon with lots of detectives from various shows. Most is on youtube I see.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Does Scumbag College on University Challenge count?

Probably the most bizarre crossover is Lister and the boys from the Dwarf travelling to Coronation Street to meet the actor who plays him. One of the maddest things I've ever seen.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

drmih wrote:Not named as such but there were Bodie and Doyle (Larry and Kilner) in the New Avengers
Mmmm... you're kidding right..!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Mark wrote:
drmih wrote:Not named as such but there were Bodie and Doyle (Larry and Kilner) in the New Avengers
You mean that they weren't undercover:)

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

I'm cheating by using a film spin-off, but in Holiday On the Buses, Queenie Watts and Arthur Mullard appeared as their Romany Jones/Yus My Dear characters Lily and Wally Briggs. Both series were written by the Ronalds Wolfe and Chesney. They also wrote The Rag Trade, which featured a myopic character called Olive played by Anna Karen. Was this the same Olive from On the Buses? Opinions differ.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

drmih wrote:
Mark wrote:
You mean that they weren't undercover:)
That's one heck of an undercover story, falling in love with Purdey and then seven years later, stealing a missile to avenge his father's murder...no wonder Cowley kept quiet about that one.!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ross wrote:I'm cheating by using a film spin-off, but in Holiday On the Buses, Queenie Watts and Arthur Mullard appeared as their Romany Jones/Yus My Dear characters Lily and Wally Briggs. Both series were written by the Ronalds Wolfe and Chesney. They also wrote The Rag Trade, which featured a myopic character called Olive played by Anna Karen. Was this the same Olive from On the Buses? Opinions differ.
I like to think it was the same character, despite constant references to her 'Ol' Man', perhaps he came back.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Slightly obscure one, but I think it counts, Barlow and Tucker (Stratford Johns and Derek Newark) in episode 1 of "Death Can Be Fatal" from "The Two Ronnies.

Back on the American ones, anyone remember Barnaby Jones and Cannon getting together?

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

I suppose there may be debate as to whether John Cleese is playing himself or Basil Fawlty, but he is on the FT set, in one of the first series editions of Not the Nine O'Clock News.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

He certainly sounds very Basil, calling it a cheap tatty review.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

I'm pretty sure there was a cross-over involving the Archers many years ago but can't remember what with. I know they said with the two sows schedules it took a long time to arrange the artistes to be free.

ican
405 lines

Post by ican »

Not strictly the same thing but I remember an episode of Brookside in which two characters were off to Manchester to visit the Granada Studios Tour and the Coronation Street set. Also Eddie Yates once asked Jack Smethurst's character in the Rover's Return what he wanted to drink and he said "I'll have half."

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

May I mention the appearance of Slade Prison in a couple of episodes of Birds of a Feather? (Although it didn't look much like it did in Porridge.)

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

The Green Hornet & Kato (Van Williams & Bruce Lee) appeared in two episodes of Batman.

EDIT: Ah, but you're only interested in British examples. Never Mind!

David Plaice
405 lines

Post by David Plaice »

Can't be bothered to paraphrase so I've lifted this description straight from Wikipedia:
"The Goodies and the Beanstalk" — At the end of this episode, John Cleese portrays a genie in the guise of a Monty Python character and uses the Python catchphrase, "And now for something completely different." When spotted and told to "Push off!" by Tim, he shouts dismissively, "Kids' programme!," before vanishing.

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

wittoner wrote:The Green Hornet & Kato (Van Williams & Bruce Lee) appeared in two episodes of Batman.

EDIT: Ah, but you're only interested in British examples. Never Mind!
That's a good one. I had never heard of that. I did originally ask about British shows, but maybe this should be a general crossover thread.
Great News Inside, Chums!

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

The programmes were not totally unrelated as the scripts were planned to link ... but the following were completely different programmes

Chris Nourse
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ican wrote: Also Eddie Yates once asked Jack Smethurst's character in the Rover's Return what he wanted to drink and he said "I'll have half."
Perhaps more of an in-joke, I was watching "The Fosters", a while back, and in one episode Rudolph Walker played a salesman, trying to flog the family a set of books on Black history, and Lenny Henry said, 'It's a great book Dad, it goes from slavery to...what do you think you're looking at Eddie Booth', got a big laugh.

I suppose Maggie Forbes would count, taken out of "The Gentle Touch" and placed in "Cat's Eyes".

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

EVERYBODY appeared in Batman.
It was like The Simpsons; people queued up.

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

yes loads of people had cameos as themselves in Batman but Williams & Lee appeared as their characters in another contemporary show which is what this thread is about.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

wittoner wrote:yes loads of people had cameos as themselves in Batman but Williams & Lee appeared as their characters in another contemporary show which is what this thread is about.
Well, unless Ted Cassidy always talked like that...