"Newscasters"

What's not currently on the box
Brock
HD

"Newscasters"

Post by Brock »

Has "newscaster" always been an exclusively ITN term? I remember that Reginald Bosanquet and other ITN presenters were routinely credited that way during the 70s and 80s, though I don't know whether ITV News still uses the term. It's never been used on the BBC to the best of my knowledge. My understanding is that ITN adopted the term to distinguish its journalist-presenters from the BBC newsreaders who were simply given a script and played no part in the preparation of the bulletin. I'm guessing that the term originally came from the US, as a blend of "news" + "broadcaster", but I'm not entirely sure of its origin.

Focus II
625 lines

Re: "Newscasters"

Post by Focus II »

I seem to recall "First Report", later "News at One" used the term, "Presented by" rather than Newscaster, although that changed in later years.

Simon36
HD

Re: "Newscasters"

Post by Simon36 »

How extraordinary, I was thinking this very thing only yesterday! (My excuse is I am under the weather and the mind tends ro wander). Did I imagine it or did the term "newscast" tend to get used a bit too at one time? As in "and now, a newscast from ITN".