Shakespeare Documentary

What's not currently on the box
Simon36
HD

Shakespeare Documentary

Post by Simon36 »

Can anyone help with identifying a documentary which was definitely shown on ITV. For years I thought it was a South Bank Show due to it being in that kind of slot but a look at the episode guide suggests otherwise.

It would have broadcast in the late 80s or very early 90s, and was about the possibility of someone else having authored Shakespeare's plays. Quite near the end, the interviewee how firmly believes this to be the case is asked if any passage particularly encapsulates how he feels about such a historical injustice, and he answers that it is Macbeth's speech after being told his wife is dead, and says "I'm sure you don't need me to remind you of it." The interviewer then presses him; the man recites it and starts weeping.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Re: Shakespeare Documentary

Post by Don Satchley »

Is it mentioned here Simon?

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

I think I remember it. One of the last shots is of the proponent of the theory looking up at a bust of Shakespeare in a church (in Stratford Upon Avon?) and saying "I don't think thats the face of anyone real." I think he was on the point of crying too.

ghughesarch
405 lines

Post by ghughesarch »

Ronco wrote:I think I remember it. One of the last shots is of the proponent of the theory looking up at a bust of Shakespeare in a church (in Stratford Upon Avon?) and saying "I don't think thats the face of anyone real." I think he was on the point of crying too.
I certainly remember that, it was broadcast in the late 80s and the individual concerned was Enoch Powell. Though A L Rowse also turns up in it, presenting the pro-Stratford case in a very smug and self-satisfied way
It's this http://bufvc.ac.uk/shakespeare/index.php/title/19351
Broadcast here as "A Midsummer Night's Mystery" and in the US, with a different voiceover and some different talking heads (and much less Enoch), as "The Shakespeare Mystery". The latter version is on the usual video site.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Well done, everyone! Excellent! Was Powell the blubber? Blimey...

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Enoch Powell can also be seen crying in Michael Cockerell's 1995 BBC profile Odd Man Out: A Film Portrait of Enoch Powell. He is reciting some love poetry that he composed as a young man. A strange sight.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Billy Smart wrote:Enoch Powell can also be seen crying in Michael Cockerell's 1995 BBC profile Odd Man Out: A Film Portrait of Enoch Powell. He is reciting some love poetry that he composed as a young man. A strange sight.

Oh yes, I think I remember that. Is that the one where you got to see him with his grandchildren? He looked like something from a horror movie, those mad eyes.