ITV regions question

What's not currently on the box
Brock
HD

Re: ITV regions question

Post by Brock »

JezR wrote: Belmont of course posed similar problems, but the lobbying of local MPs there was unsuccessful in preventing it moving.
They did score one small victory, though - Anglia continued to produce the weather forecasts even after YTV had taken over transmissions. The "Belmont weather forecast" (which I saw once when staying with relatives in Lincolnshire) must be one of the oddest arrangements in ITV history, with one contractor providing a service for viewers in part of a neighbouring region. I think there was a thread about this on the old forum.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

doubleM wrote:... I think one or more 'It'll Be Alight on the Night' (still with Denis Norden) were taped at the Northam studios of Meridian in Southampton (the old Southern TV centre) rather than at LWT. I have a memory of it being mentioned onscreen.
The last major productions at Northam were It'll Be Alright on the Night 18 staged there on Friday 18th June 2004, and Denis Norden's Laughter File 11, recorded on Sunday 20th June.

~iw

The Doc
405 lines

Post by The Doc »

Simon36 wrote:
rosalyn wrote:
Simon36 wrote:Excellent. Does anyone know where the Southern news archive is held by the way?
Officially, it wasn't sold to TVS when Southern's franchise ended, and then seemed to mysteriously disappear into a black hole.

However, some of it (mostly 16mm pix and track) turned up at the Northam studios (the most likely place for it to turn up) shortly before Meridian vacated a few years ago.

This has made available images of a few historical events/interview clips to be broadcast again on 'Meridian Tonight' or 'ITV News Meridian' as and when they've needed them.
The name “northern studios” doesn’t ring any bells with me.. where would you suggest I address a query about some 70s newsreel footage from the Southern archive? Any thoughts hugely appreciated!

ITV Meridian own the regional news footage, where it exists, from both Southern Television and TVS going back to at least the 1970s. This includes film and later ENG material.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

JezR wrote:Regarding the 405-line situation in Berks and Oxon, there are still to be seen in the likes of the older parts of Didcot and Oxford hefty Band III aerials pointed at Croydon, probably because they are too difficult to get down. The alternative in the first days of ITV was Lichfield, but that was fairly weak in Oxford (Sutton Coldfield for the BBC was better).

Abingdon stuck in the middle of this had a popular local cable operation that carried London, Midlands and Southern ITV.

Membury eventually provided good signals for nearly all, but the Abingdon cable company was finally killed off by the Oxford 625-line service.
It certainly isn't (or wasn't) unusual to see huge aerial installations standing in areas later served by a local transmitter. On the link there's examples in Coldstream of huge installations for TTT Burnhope ch8 and BBC 1 ch5 from Pontop Pike which suggests were installed before Selkirk ch13 opened in 1961.

Indeed some installations have horizontal ch5 aerials and vertical BIII ones for Selkirk which suggests dates between 1961-1963 with local BBC Ashkirk ch1 opening during 1963.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/sho ... hp?t=95890

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Simon36 wrote:... where would you suggest I address a query about some 70s newsreel footage from the Southern archive? Any thoughts hugely appreciated!
The ITNSource website used to list a collection of Southern news item which included such things as a Beatles interview in 1965, the great train robbers on the Isle of Wight ferry en route to Parkhurst, interviews with Peter Sellers and Mohamed Ali and a few dozen other items.

Every retrospective I've seen - e.g. Meridian's Southern Gold and the 50th anniversary Southern's Golden Years, and The Dream Factory DVD - has used material from that collection. Presumably these are now held by Getty Images, although I don't know how to find them on their website.

~iw

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Ian Wegg wrote:Presumably these are now held by Getty Images, although I don't know how to find them on their website.
Only ITN's own material is now handled by Getty Images, not everything else that ITN used to sell on behalf of others - well certainly as far as ITV is concerned, I don't know what happened to all the other copyright holders for whom ITN sold clips. All of ITV's own clip sales are now handled in-house.

There's a website at https://www.itvarchive.com but unfortunately unlike ITN Source there's no access to any of the info unless you set-up an account with them.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Simon Coward wrote:Only ITN's own material is now handled by Getty Images, not everything else that ITN used to sell on behalf of others - well certainly as far as ITV is concerned, I don't know what happened to all the other copyright holders for whom ITN sold clips. All of ITV's own clip sales are now handled in-house.

There's a website at https://www.itvarchive.com but unfortunately unlike ITN Source there's no access to any of the info unless you set-up an account with them.
Thanks Simon, I didn't realise that. It's a great shame that the information isn't available to the public, I'm kicking myself for not keeping a copy of the description when it was at ITNSource.

There is, of course, quite a lot of Southern material lodged at the WFSA in Winchester, including the aforementioned Beatles interview.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Ian Wegg wrote:Thanks Simon, I didn't realise that. It's a great shame that the information isn't available to the public, I'm kicking myself for not keeping a copy of the description when it was at ITNSource.
There was one entry which was listed as
THE FOLLOWING MATERIAL HAS BEEN TRANSFERRED FROM 16MM FILM OR UMATIC TAPE: * * 00:01:00 - SOUTHERN'S EARLY DAYS * JAMES MONTGOMERY REPORTING ON VARIOUS OLD BLACK AND WHITE FILM CLIPS FIRST SHOWN ON DAY BY DAY AS EARLY AS 1961, INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING:* * The Day by Day office/newsroom as it was then with staff working, and John Borman giving brief instructions (interior shots); somebody showing how a fish was caught ona river bank; Tony Bilbow out and about with a film unit, and a three wheeled bike prophesying that Day by Day would last for years; an interview with the four Beatles - Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr (being interviewed by Terrance Carroll); shots of the Rolling Stones pop group, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Susan Hampshire outside the tower block of Southampton University for the Students Rag Wee, and receiving a bouquet of flowers; interior and exterior shots of the original Southern Television bulding that was at one time a cinema; shots of the ocean going liner Queen Elizabeth. * * 00:09:40 - SOUTHERN TELEVISION AWARDS* * CHRIS PEACOCK WITH A REPORT ON THE AWARDS THAT SOUTHERN TELEVISION AND ITS STAFF HAVE RECEIVED OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS INCLUDING:* * Shots - exterior sea to sea, and aerial, of Joe Hardy's coverage of the Pacific Glory tanker disaster off St Catherine's Point off the Isle of Wightt; pan along film crew still showing Joe Hardy, John Mills and Dave .. (sound man),* CU of their award for their coverage of the Southsea Pier fire, exterior shots pier burning; Gvs of the New Forest on fire during the hot summer of 1976, Gvs of the old peoples' hospital at Ringwood and firemen and ambulancemen and helpers evacuating the elderly, with verbal credit to David Davis for his film; shots of the Vietnamese boat people in a coach at Sopley, the coach arriving and people getting off, some of them and their children clothed in nothing more than blankets. Various shots of the awards and certificates and their display cabinet in STV reception.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Susan Hampshire outside the tower block of Southampton University for the Students Rag Wee
That might have made for interesting viewing!

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

That's exactly the one, thanks very much for posting.