ATV and the 1970-71 Colour Strike.

What's not currently on the box
Simon Coward
D-MAC

Re: ATV and the 1970-71 Colour Strike.

Post by Simon Coward »

Billy Smart wrote:
Simon Coward wrote: there's a single General Hospital missing from the same year (tx 28/05/1976).
I can't find any record of General Hospital being broadcast on this date. The TV Times for that day does have a picture of Tony Adams with a caption telling us that he'll be back on our screens in a new series of General Hospital on this day next week, though!
Odd one this, I hadn't spotted its history. It's the last half-hour episode which I believe was not shown on the original run because of a strike, and as far as I'm aware not slotted in later until it fell naturally at the end of the repeat run the following year. 15:55 in the afternoon. Near-networked if not fully networked.

But I guess that strictly speaking that does make it one of the many missing 1975 General Hospital episodes, rather than a properly missing 1976 edition.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

Simon Coward wrote: July 1973 seems to be the key point - perhaps because the opening-up of the afternoon schedules finally provided an opportunity for VT repeats, or perhaps because the market for monochrome material was dwindling.
You may have hit the nail on the head as regards the 'afternoon' opportunities for drama repeats from Autumn '72 onwards. There do seem to be some significant losses beyond July 73 for whatever reason ... some ATV plays for 'Playhouse' in 74, some sitcom losses like eps of 'The Squirrels' and others ...

The Carlton audit of ATV repositories c 2002/3 did turn up a lot of previously thought lost dramas of the later 70s/early 80s from ATV ... some of 'The Bass Player and the Blonde' were thought lost till then, as were some Playhouse/ITV Playhouse entires like 'Out of Sight ...' and 'Visitors for Anderson'.

Episodes of 'Hunters Walk', now lost, were repeated in 1977 in the afternoon - so presumbly they were junked after that as policy? Which brings back the question why other dramas of the mid 70s e.g. 'Clayhanger' did not suffer the same fate?
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

Billy Smart wrote: There are two single plays from 1979 (The Purple Twilight and All the Fun of the Fair and one from 1980 (Where Are the Lads of our Village Tonight?) that appear to be lost.
Quite a few more single plays of the late ATV period were thought lost for some time but were discovered in the worldwide check instigated by Carlton c2002. There is an ITV Playhouse or two that are only on b/w telerecordings though.

Interestingly there are one or two earlier plays of the mid 70s that exist as colour telerecordings ... ATV and Thames seemed to be the two companies that produced copies via that format to some extent.

By the late 70s I think Crossroads was the only drama still being produced at ATV Birmingham. In the early 70s a fair few dramas were recorded there rather than Elstree and in 1972 for about 4 years or so 'children's' output including drama was made at Birmingham too (starting with 'Escape into Night'). The ATV contributions to 'Late Night Theatre' were also taped at Birmingham too and are all (or nearly all) lost it seems.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

Recalling, "The Secret Life of Bob Monkhouse" they were extracts shown from the final "Golden Shot" he presented from a colour film recording before Norman Vaughan took over. The quality was remarkably good considering.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Focus II wrote:Recalling, "The Secret Life of Bob Monkhouse" they were extracts shown from the final "Golden Shot" he presented from a colour film recording before Norman Vaughan took over. The quality was remarkably good considering.
There was a period where ATV experimented with colour telerecordings as doubleM says. Not too many dramas survive in that way, but some episodes of The Man from Haven do, as do a few Playhouse and Happy Ever After plays.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

LWT had colour film prints made of at least the first three series of UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS, (though obviously not five of them...)

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

ATV drama survivors in colour telerecording format include

'Bread and CIrcuses' (31 Aug 1975) from the 'Against the Crowd' anthology;
3 episodes from series 1 of 'Happy Ever After' as Simon mentioned upthread (not the BBC sitcom!) from 1969; '
Ancient And Modern' (29 Dec '69) and 'Plastic People' (5 Jan '70) from 'Playhouse'; '
Refuge for a Hero' also from 'Playhouse' from 1972 starring John Thaw and 'Relics' from 1973;
the 'Saturday Night Theatre' entries 'Wolly Wenpol, The Complete Works' (from Feb '70) starring Robert Hardy and 'Willy' (1973);
and the play 'Visitors' (23 Dec 73) from 'Sunday Night Theatre'.

Two 'THRILLER' episodes were shown on the Bravo satellite station in the mid 1990s in that format - or rather from 1" tape copies of the original colour telerecordings - 'Night is the Time for Killing' and 'Good Salary - Prospects - Free Coffin' - the colour master tapes having been found (and remastered) for the later DVD releases ... and there is the one 'General Hospital' episode as a colour film copy available on the Network DVD set for the series.

Thames certainly made colour telerecordings of 'The Tommorrow People' as these were broadcast in Australia at some point, I remember seeing a VHS copy of one - 'The Medusa Touch' in the mid 90s that had the local continuity announcements over the end titles.

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

On a linked subject, does this mean the 1978 Sunday Drama presentation The One and Only Buster Barnes still exists?

Starring Alan Badel and produced by ATV, there's a trailer for it on YouTube and it looks really interesting.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ian Fryer wrote:On a linked subject, does this mean the 1978 Sunday Drama presentation The One and Only Buster Barnes still exists?

Starring Alan Badel and produced by ATV, there's a trailer for it on YouTube and it looks really interesting.
It does, on U-Matic, apparently.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

doubleM wrote:ATV drama survivors in colour telerecording format include

'Bread and CIrcuses' (31 Aug 1975) from the 'Against the Crowd' anthology;
3 episodes from series 1 of 'Happy Ever After' as Simon mentioned upthread (not the BBC sitcom!) from 1969; '
Ancient And Modern' (29 Dec '69) and 'Plastic People' (5 Jan '70) from 'Playhouse'; '
Refuge for a Hero' also from 'Playhouse' from 1972 starring John Thaw and 'Relics' from 1973;
the 'Saturday Night Theatre' entries 'Wolly Wenpol, The Complete Works' (from Feb '70) starring Robert Hardy and 'Willy' (1973);
and the play 'Visitors' (23 Dec 73) from 'Sunday Night Theatre'.

Two 'THRILLER' episodes were shown on the Bravo satellite station in the mid 1990s in that format - or rather from 1" tape copies of the original colour telerecordings - 'Night is the Time for Killing' and 'Good Salary - Prospects - Free Coffin' - the colour master tapes having been found (and remastered) for the later DVD releases ... and there is the one 'General Hospital' episode as a colour film copy available on the Network DVD set for the series.

Thames certainly made colour telerecordings of 'The Tommorrow People' as these were broadcast in Australia at some point, I remember seeing a VHS copy of one - 'The Medusa Touch' in the mid 90s that had the local continuity announcements over the end titles.
I remember getting a number of those "TP" colour TR's on VHS from Australia, back in the 80's.

The treatment of ATV colour tapes, seemed a bit hit and miss, one episode of "Timeslip", two of "Fly Into Danger", an incomplete episode of "The Jensen Code", and damage on one of two surviving colour episodes of "Spyders Web" ( patched up using the B/W TR) on the DVD.

Game shows seemed superfluous to requirements, such as "Celebrity Squares" and "The Master Spy", and the Leslie Crowther Sit-Com, "Big Boy Now" had completely gone ( three episodes turning up on 2" at the BFI).

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

Some time ago second hand 16mm film lists occasionally had colour prints of "The Muppet Show".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brian F wrote:Some time ago second hand 16mm film lists occasionally had colour prints of "The Muppet Show".
That's a surprise, started in 76, wouldn't have thought there was any need for them by then.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

We had 16mm film projectors when I was at school. They showed a print of an edition of, "Good Health" in assembly on the dangers of smoking. The original programme was probably made on film rather than a colour telerecording however.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Mark wrote:
Brian F wrote:Some time ago second hand 16mm film lists occasionally had colour prints of "The Muppet Show".
That's a surprise, started in 76, wouldn't have thought there was any need for them by then.
A fair few of the colour MUPPET film prints that I saw on sales lists in the 80s were described as having Arabic subtitles.

For some reason, colour film prints of LWT's THE TOP SECRET LIFE OF EDGAR BRIGGS are knocking around too.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ian b wrote:
Mark wrote:
A fair few of the colour MUPPET film prints that I saw on sales lists in the 80s were described as having Arabic subtitles.

For some reason, colour film prints of LWT's THE TOP SECRET LIFE OF EDGAR BRIGGS are knocking around too.
Yes, seen the "Edgar Briggs" ones as well.

I was trying to remember which colour TR "TP" episodes I had on VHS, I certainly had them up to "One Law" from the 76 series, so when or if they switched over to VT copies, I'm not sure, I would have thought they did though.

The last "Who" B/W TR's were from the 74 series, and I certainly don't know of any TR's B/W or Colour from the mid 70's onwards.

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Simon Coward wrote:If you exclude Crossroads and General Hospital the only drama series to be properly junked from that time or later is Hunters Walk. There are a number of plays missing as well but in terms of series, aside from odd episodes which are either lost altogether or survive on an inferior format (suggesting more error than intention: why would anyone deliberately junk just one edition of The Law Centre, for instance), pretty much all their other drama post July 1973 survives, and survives in colour too.
Does anyone know anything about The Law Centre? Because it wasn't fully networked, there's nothing about it in the TV Times that I have access to. In particular, was it a series or a serial? i.e. would the missing episode affect the viewer's comprehension of what survives?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

There was some discussion about the series in this thread.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Billy Smart wrote:Does anyone know anything about The Law Centre? Because it wasn't fully networked, there's nothing about it in the TV Times that I have access to. In particular, was it a series or a serial? i.e. would the missing episode affect the viewer's comprehension of what survives?
I don't recall there being any serial element to it, although there may have been minor bits of continuity across the episodes.

As you say, it wasn't networked and while most of the regions took it eventually, I don't think Ulster did, and I'm not sure that Tyne Tees showed them all. Scottish Television were very late and didn't finish their run until November 1978, a couple of months after everyone else (barring the errant Tyne Tees).

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Simon Coward wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:23 am
From 1981, the three plays from the series Job Hunt are missing, but I'm not totally sure that these were made by the drama department as they were illustrating the problems young people can face when searching for jobs.
I am pleased to see that these have now been located. The third episode of Job Hunt was actually a studio discussion, involving Minister of Employment James Prior and others.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

A Good Health episode was recently shown on TPTV.

I wonder if Billy had come across The Time of Your Life This was an ATV soap opera for schools, so far it is thought only one ep
survived as on film it was distributed as a teaching aid to some institutions.

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

The Time Of Your Life was co-written by Andrew Davies. TV Brain states that six episodes are now known to survive, but which ones they are exactly is currently unknown.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Billy Smart wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:42 am
The Time Of Your Life was co-written by Andrew Davies. TV Brain states that six episodes are now known to survive, but which ones they are exactly is currently unknown.

Well that is something - Rather than being left on the 'pending' shelves do you think (with the recent play recoveries) the BFI are working through the stash of ATV tapes they got given in the past few years?