BBC/ITV

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

BBC/ITV

Post by Mark »

Mention of "Before Your Very Eyes" ( on the Arthur Askey thread) it was on the BBC to start with, before transferring to ITV.

"Life With The Lyons" was also on the Beeb at first, and then ITV.

Also "The Rag Trade", and "Men Behaving Badly ( although it was the other way round with the latter.)

These ones spring to mind, any others?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Re: BBC/ITV

Post by Simon Coward »

I suppose there'll be a number of these in modern times, where productions are made independently and can more easily swap sides. But going back...

In this country, This is Your Life was BBC first, then ITV.

Educating Archie moved from BBC radio to ITV as did Hello Cheeky.

The Goodies, of course, BBC to LWT. Till Death Us Do Part / Till Death..., BBC to ATV.

Although not a series on both sides, the first Rumpole of the Bailey was on the BBC before the series started on ITV. The characters Gordon and Mabel Maple, as portrayed by George Cole and Gwen Watford, appeared in a couple of Charles Wood's ITV plays before making it over to the BBC for Don't Forget to Write!.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Simon Coward wrote:I suppose there'll be a number of these in modern times, where productions are made independently and can more easily swap sides..
And there's the other modern phenomenon of ITV making programmes for the BBC. The Graham Norton Show, Eggheads, University Challenge, Insert Name Here[...] are some of those from ITV Studios, while Antiques Road Trip and the new primetime BBC Saturday night show And They're Off For Sport Relief are just two of many from STV.

I'm not aware of any BBC productions on ITV though.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

Good thread though. Famously, "What the Papers Say", one of Granada's longest running programmes was transferred to the BBC. As with, "University Challenge" it was a Granada Production for the BBC.

No BBC programmes in turn appear to have been made for ITV, though I've noticed ITV3 repeating some BBC programmes on that channel, most recently "The Syndicate" for example. Think they showed, "Pie In The Sky" too.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

After Henry was another that started on BBC Radio and was taken up by ITV.

There was a season of shows on Radio 4 'You Heard It Here First' in the early 90s covering transfers to TV and I was surprised (at the time) that Whose Line Is It Anyway? was radio before C4 TV.

Checking Genome, Up The Garden Path and Second Thoughts were also BBC Radio first, then ITV.

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Focus II wrote:Good thread though. Famously, "What the Papers Say", one of Granada's longest running programmes was transferred to the BBC. As with, "University Challenge" it was a Granada Production for the BBC.

No BBC programmes in turn appear to have been made for ITV,
That's because the BBC haven't been allowed to make programmes for others (except S4C) until recently with the creation of BBC Studios: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Studios

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Simon Coward wrote:In this country, This is Your Life was BBC first, then ITV.
Twice in fact, went from the BBC to ITV, then to the BBC in the 90's.... and then back to ITV in 2007 albeit for only one episode

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Focus II wrote:Good thread though. Famously, "What the Papers Say", one of Granada's longest running programmes was transferred to the BBC.
"What the Papers Say" has hopped around the channels in a rather odd fashion. It started on ITV in 1956, though it was never fully networked. It moved to Channel 4 when the channel was launched in 1982, but they dropped it in 1989. I think it may have had a brief move back to ITV (not sure about this), but BBC2 picked it up after that and ran it until 2008. It was then revived by Radio 4 in the run-up to the 2010 general election, credited as "a Granada TV format for BBC Radio 4", but they dropped it in 2016, just short of its 60th birthday.
As with, "University Challenge" it was a Granada Production for the BBC.
Another of the select group of programmes that have appeared on both ITV and BBC2. Others I can think of:

Des O'Connor Tonight (BBC2 - > ITV)
Through the Keyhole (ITV -> Sky 1 -> BBC1 -> BBC2)
Blockbusters (ITV -> Sky 1 -> BBC2): the BBC2 version had adult contestants and was presented by Michael Aspel, but only ran for one series.

I could add Parkinson (BBC1 -> ITV). As discussed previously on the forum, a handful of episodes were shown on BBC2 during the compulsory 10.30pm shutdown in 1974!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

stearn wrote: There was a season of shows on Radio 4 'You Heard It Here First' in the early 90s covering transfers to TV and I was surprised (at the time) that Whose Line Is It Anyway? was radio before C4 TV.
It ran for a single series on Radio 4 in 1988, and I remember thinking at the time "This one's going to run and run". It did - but unfortunately not on the BBC. The producers wanted to move it to BBC TV but the BBC was hesitant, and Hat Trick nipped in and bought up the TV rights while they still had the opportunity. Even now I tend to think of it as having been "stolen" from the BBC. I think the BBC became a bit more canny about retaining the TV rights to radio formats after that.

One giveaway of its origins is the feature at the end where the winner reads out the end credits. This made rather more sense on Radio 4 (where obviously the credits always have to be read out) than it did on television. I was a little surprised that they retained this feature.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Simon Coward wrote: Educating Archie moved from BBC radio to ITV as did Hello Cheeky.
Where it flopped because there was no attempt to make the material visual! It went back to Radio 2 after that, though not for long as I recall.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Brock wrote:
Focus II wrote:Good thread though. Famously, "What the Papers Say", one of Granada's longest running programmes was transferred to the BBC.
"What the Papers Say" has hopped around the channels in a rather odd fashion. It started on ITV in 1956, though it was never fully networked. It moved to Channel 4 when the channel was launched in 1982, but they dropped it in 1989. I think it may have had a brief move back to ITV (not sure about this), but BBC2 picked it up after that and ran it until 2008. It was then revived by Radio 4 in the run-up to the 2010 general election, credited as "a Granada TV format for BBC Radio 4", but they dropped it in 2016, just short of its 60th birthday.
It was on ITV for the autumn of 1988 and all of 1989. Disappeared for a couple of months and then reappeared on BBC 2 at the start of March 1990.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brock wrote:
Simon Coward wrote: Educating Archie moved from BBC radio to ITV as did Hello Cheeky.
Where it flopped because there was no attempt to make the material visual! It went back to Radio 2 after that, though not for long as I recall.
Although you can sort of understand it, the same format was used, as it was quick-fire gags and sketches, it would have been expensive to use a number of sets.

"The Grumbleweeds Radio Show", on TV, partially resolved the problem with painted backdrops.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Plenty of good calls, again.

Mention of "Till Death", BBC to ITV...then back again for "In Sickness".

"Through The Keyhole", is also back on ITV, and the various Radio shows are good ones too, I was just listening to a rare 4ex broadcast of the first "After Henry" Xmas special, "A Week Of Sundays".

A few others:

"Auf Wiedersehen Pet" from ITV to the BBC.

"Birds Of a feather", BBC to ITV.

"Quatermass", BBC to ITV ( courtesy of Euston Films).

"Treasure Hunt", CH4 to BBC ( and a couple of ITV Telethon specials)

One of my favs, I should have remembered, the long running "Doctor" series, "In The House" to "On The Go" on ITV ( a quick trip down under), and a final run on the BBC with "Doctor At The Top".

With "The Rag Trade", I wonder if ITV had to pay a fee to the Beeb for the set designs use.?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

A few more:

Does the Team Think? started on the Light Programme in 1957 and continued on BBC radio until 1976. Thames revived it in 1982, though it only lasted two series. (Incidentally Radio 2 brought it back for a single series with Vic Reeves as host in 2007, but it wasn't well received.)
What's My Line? started on BBC-tv in 1951, where it ran until 1963. There was a BBC2 version with David Jacobs in 1973-4 and then Thames revived it, with the original host Eamonn Andrews, in 1984. (Angela Rippon took over as host after his death in 1987, until 1990.)
Sounds Familiar ran on Radio 2 from 1967 to 1974. While it was still running on the BBC, Thames turned it into Looks Familiar, which aired first on ITV and then on Channel 4.
In 1968 Thames broadcast Tales of Men's Shirts, a re-enactment in a mocked-up radio studio of an episode of The Goon Show first broadcast on BBC Radio in 1959.

Did Thames TV have a special "ripping off old BBC Light Entertainment formats" division?

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Brock wrote:Did Thames TV have a special "ripping off old BBC Light Entertainment formats" division?
I suspect that when a show was turned down for radio (at Broadcasting House), those involved started the trek down the Euston Road towards Television Centre but got waylaid at the Euston Tower!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I can't remember where I read this, but apparently there was a joke at the time about a Thames TV light entertainment producer who said "I've had an idea" and got fired for insubordination. :-)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Thames probably knew it was a good thing, to keep an eye on the Beeb.

An interesting example of a pilot on the BBC, "My Old Man" with Ronnie Barker, in the "Seven of One" series, being picked up by ITV (Yorkshire) for a series with Clive Dunn.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

How about Granada's "Up" series (7 Up and so on)? It got as far as 35 Up, but then, incredibly, ITV didn't commission 42 Up in 1998, and it was left to the BBC to step into the breach. Seven years later, ITV proudly announced 49 Up as one of its season of 50th anniversary programmes without any mention that they hadn't actually broadcast the previous instalment. They sensibly stuck with it for 56 Up, and I hope we'll be getting 63 Up next year (when Michael Apted will be an incredible 78).

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Ronnie Barker's Lord Rustless went from LWT (Hark at Barker) to BBC (His Lordship Entertains), wiht the same supporting cast.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Oh, what about The Morecambe and Wise Show? I think it's reasonable to regard the Thames show as a straight transfer of the BBC one (which incidentally started on BBC2 in 1968, so an unusual BBC2 -> BBC1 -> ITV journey). There was at least one occasion when a repeat broadcast of one of their BBC shows overlapped with a new show on ITV.

TonyCurrie
625 lines

Post by TonyCurrie »

Hancock's Half Hour started on BBC radio (both Home Service and Light Programme) and for some time was also on BBC Television (but radio episodes continued to be made). Then the 'Half Hour' was dropped and Hancock moved to ITV.

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Brock wrote: Through the Keyhole (ITV -> Sky 1 -> BBC1 -> BBC2)
More than that - TVam -> ITV -> Sky 1 -> BBC1 -> BBC2 -> ITV

stearn wrote:
Brock wrote:Did Thames TV have a special "ripping off old BBC Light Entertainment formats" division?
I suspect that when a show was turned down for radio (at Broadcasting House), those involved started the trek down the Euston Road towards Television Centre but got waylaid at the Euston Tower!
If they walked past the Euston Tower on their way from BH to TVC then they were going the wrong way down the Euston Road ;-)

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Blankety Blank somehow morphed from a BBC show to an ITV show during Lily Savage's tenure as host. The UK Game Shows entry lists some complicated production arrangements, with Grundy Productions apparently being responsible for the move:
BBC1, 18 January 1979 to 12 March 1990 (208 episodes in 12 series + 10 specials)
Fremantle for BBC One, 26 December 1997 to 19 September 1998 (13 episodes in 1 series + 1 special)
as Lily Savage's Blankety Blank
Grundy for BBC One, 26 June to 28 December 1999 (12 episodes in 1 series + 1 special)
Grundy for ITV, 7 January to 17 June 2001 (20 episodes in 1 series)
Thames for ITV1, 4 May to 10 August 2002 (12 episodes in 1 series + 8 unaired by original network)
Challenge, 2005 (last 8 episodes - see Trivia below)
ITV Productions and TalkbackThames for ITV1, 21 April 2007 (Gameshow Marathon one-off)
bbc.co.uk webcast, 5 to 6 March 2011 (24 Hour Panel People)
Thames for ITV, 24 December 2016
(The 2016 revival was hosted by David Walliams, apparently.)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Rustless" is a good one, and with "Morecambe and Wise" and "Hancock", you could add Russ Abbot, from LWT's "Madhouse" to the BBC's "Russ Abbot Show", also Kenny Everett (albeit a slightly different format).

The Lily Savage version of "Blankety Blank", certainly had a colourful journey didn't it.!

When Michael Bentine's "It's A Square World" finished, it was off to ATV for "All Square" (with a similar format) and then back at the Beeb in 77 with a pilot revival of "Square World" that came to nought.

Earlier in the thread, I mentioned the BBC Barker pilot "My Old Man", going to ITV, in an interesting reversal, the LWT "Six Dates With Barker" episode, "The Removal Man", was picked up as Barker's last series 17 years later! on the BBC as "Clarence".

You could also include the "Six Dates" episode, "The Phantom Raspberry Blower Of Old London Town", extended for the 76 series of "The Two Ronnies" on the Beeb.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Scary, my mistake - perhaps the lure of the Thames green room was that great!

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

Opportunity Knocks. Started on the Light Programme in 1949, passed briefly through Associated Rediffusion, then a long run from ABC to Thames without a break, then back to the BBC.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

JezR wrote:Opportunity Knocks. Started on the Light Programme in 1949
Although it was ditched by the BBC after one series and went to Radio Luxembourg before arriving on ITV.

Richardr1
405 lines

Post by Richardr1 »

Mark wrote: you could add Russ Abbot, from LWT's "Madhouse" to the BBC's "Russ Abbot Show"
Didn't that one go ITV, BBC, ITV, then BBC radio?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Richardr1 wrote:
Mark wrote: you could add Russ Abbot, from LWT's "Madhouse" to the BBC's "Russ Abbot Show"
Didn't that one go ITV, BBC, ITV, then BBC radio?
Oh yes, you are right, Granada was responsible for it's return to ITV, and I have mentioned the radio series in the radio section, with the hope it would crop up on 4ex, but no sign yet.

I was thinking that there didn't seem to be anything from Children's TV, but I have remembered at least one..."Sooty", on the BBC for years before moving to ITV...Thames again!...and finally Granada.

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

Brock wrote:
JezR wrote:Opportunity Knocks. Started on the Light Programme in 1949
Although it was ditched by the BBC after one series and went to Radio Luxembourg before arriving on ITV.
Indeed so - I didn't mention that step as it wasn't BBC / ITV.

The single BBC radio series also had a lunch time repeat on the Home Service.