Different Start and End Themes

What's not currently on the box
Focus II
625 lines

Different Start and End Themes

Post by Focus II »

Something I thought about recently. Some examples that come to mind:

Fireball XL5- Don Spencer song at the end.
Stingray- "Marina" song at the end.
Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons- two different end themes used. No intro theme as such.
Joe 90 (different arrangement of the intro theme)
UFO
The Sweeney, (like Joe 90, a different arrangement of the intro theme)
The Scales of Justice- The Tornadoes arrangement at the end.
Record Breakers- different Roy Castle sung songs.
Porridge- like Captain Scarlet no into theme as such.

Blue Peter- for a brief period the original end theme was retained after the start theme changed to the Mike Oldfield version.

World in Action-In contrast to Blue Peter a new version of the theme was used but reverted to the original version for the closing credits.

Must be more examples!

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Re: Different Start and End Themes

Post by Spiny Norman »

Blackadder 3?
This is nøt å signåture.™

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

John Craven's Newsround: Johnny One Note/New Worlds.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

The Two Ronnies
Jim'll Fix It
Only Fools and Horses
Wimbledon (although I don't think they use "A Sporting Occasion" at the end any more)

I'm sure there are plenty of others - we may have had a thread on this before.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

Think I heard that used on the last Wimbledon though.

I stand open to correction but thought the end theme of, "Only Fools and Horses" was a continuation of the opening theme, likewise with the earlier episodes of, "Upstairs Downstairs".

"Worzel Gummidge" is another example of a different arrangement being used at the end.

For a short time, probably late '69 or early 1970, "Top of the Pops" introduced a new opening theme but retained the previous one at the end.

The second series of, "Howard's Way" used a drab vocal version of the theme at the end I recall.

Oh yes, "Crown Court" of course!

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

In the same tune but noticeably different arrangement pile you could add the filmed Special Branch episodes and The Ghosts of Motley Hall.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

The Incredible Hulk

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Focus II wrote: I stand open to correction but thought the end theme of, "Only Fools and Horses" was a continuation of the opening theme, likewise with the earlier episodes of, "Upstairs Downstairs".
I don't think so - the eponymous "Only Fools and Horses" at the start and "Hooky Street" at the end. Both written and performed by John Sullivan though.

(Apart from the first series, which had an opening and closing theme tune by Ronnie Hazlehurst - but it's hard to find copies that haven't been re-edited!)

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

I used to know dozens of these, in the days before the internet rendered such knowledge redundant. The only one not previously mentioned that I can still recall is Auf Wiedersehen Pet.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

Simon Coward wrote:In the same tune but noticeably different arrangement pile you could add the filmed Special Branch episodes and The Ghosts of Motley Hall.
The first Euston Films series perhaps, the episodes when George Sewell looks at the camera before walking into the distance? The second and final series certainly used the same arrangement as the opening titles.

The Public Eye Brighton episodes used a special arrangement of the theme. The last episode of that series returned to the original arrangement at the end of the episode.

Rumour has it Thunderbirds originally intended to have a song at the end in the tradition of Fireball XL5 and Stingray but was dropped in favour of the main start theme.

I really detested the 1980 re-recording of the, "Doctor Who" theme I still do. Really put me off the programme. The closing of the 1983 story, "The Five Doctors" used part of the original theme speeded up before fading into the hideous Peter Howell version.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Roobarb's did this a decade ago - here's the thread...

http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/showth ... ing-themes

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Spiny Norman wrote:Blackadder 3?

Yes , this was my first thought. Loved the way that a different song was sung based on what happened in the episode.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

This is where I first came across the concept[/url].

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ian Wegg wrote:I used to know dozens of these, in the days before the internet rendered such knowledge redundant. The only one not previously mentioned that I can still recall is Auf Wiedersehen Pet.
Erm...isn't there one in particular, you forgot...( nods to right of your post!).

There was also "Boon", which often had various C&W tunes for the end titles, as opposed to the "Hi Ho Silver" theme.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

Highway to heaven theme i think got better as the series progressed.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

Never saw the Roobarb thread. Many thanks for the link.
Seems they came to the same conclusions.

"Dad's Army" is another famous example of a different instrumental arrangement of the sung theme at the end.

Arguably we could include, "Life on Mars" and "Our Friends In the North" which always had a commercially released recording for the closing credits, though not actually theme tunes as such.

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

marsey wrote:

Yes , this was my first thought. Loved the way that a different song was sung based on what happened in the episode.

That was Blackadder 2.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Mark wrote:Erm...isn't there one in particular, you forgot...( nods to right of your post!).
Doh! ... well I said my memory was going! I see it's mentioned in the Roobarb's post.

mikew
405 lines

Post by mikew »

Monkey! I always loved the way the opening theme was very upbeat and in the present tense while the closing was more wistful and emphasised that it all happened a long time ago. All together now..."In Gandhara, Gandhara, They say it was in India...."

(In a similar vein, I liked the trick in some of the 80s Doctor Who title sequences where the opening was travelling forwards and the closing was the reverse.)

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Another Gerry Anderson one is The Protectors; instrumental intro of the Tony Christie song (Avenues and Alleyways) in the credits.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

mikew
405 lines

Post by mikew »

The sad news about Jim Bowen has reminded me: if the Bullseye contestants didn't win the star prize, they played a minor key version of the music over the closing credits.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Ronco wrote:
marsey wrote:

That was Blackadder 2.
Yes, sorry, you are correct. I guess it had the same tune (but with lyrics) whilst BF3 had totally different music.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Same thing with "Turtles Progress", instrumental for main theme, and the vocals version ( with Alan Price) for the end credits.

TonyCurrie
625 lines

Post by TonyCurrie »

Compact
Emergency Ward 10

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

One of my favourite examples was a one off episode of "The Avengers", the cobbled together "Homicide And Old Lace" ( I may be the only person who liked that episode) the usual end credits were accompanied by 'Rule Britannia' played by a one man band, followed by a cheering football crowd, and then the final bars of the familiar theme...great fun!

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Mark wrote:One of my favourite examples was a one off episode of "The Avengers", the cobbled together "Homicide And Old Lace" ( I may be the only person who liked that episode) the usual end credits were accompanied by 'Rule Britannia' played by a one man band, followed by a cheering football crowd, and then the final bars of the familiar theme...great fun!
I also rate that episode with its fun storytelling throughout. I'd forgotten about the ending. Also like others with narration, such as The Avengers "Who's' Who" and The New Avengers "K is for Kill - part 2" (Patrick's recap).

The final episode credits of Doctor Who Earthshock are in silence for Adric.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Top Gear had different opening and closing theme tunes until it's 2000's relaunch

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

It's a long time ago, but I'm fairly sure that Andy Pandy had a special closing theme.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

The original Battlestar Galactica had the end theme faster and with more prominent drums.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

brigham wrote:It's a long time ago, but I'm fairly sure that Andy Pandy had a special closing theme.
It did indeed.
Come to think of it quite a few, "Watch With Mother" programmes used different start and end themes: Camberwick Green, Chigley, Mary, Mungo and Midge and Fingerbobs come to mind.