Minder (Umbrella) & Minder (Clear Vision)

What's not currently on the box
robinsmith
405 lines

Minder (Umbrella) & Minder (Clear Vision)

Post by robinsmith »

Picked up Minder Series 2 at a charity shop, but the extras are rather thin. I spied on an Umbrella disc I picked up in Oz, the cover of a Minder DVD that the Umbrella releases featured audio commentary.

Just wondered if the Umbrella discs are worth picking up as well as or instead of the Clear Vision releases, or are the commentary tracks really not very interesting/useful?

mariocki
405 lines

Re: Minder (Umbrella) & Minder (Clear Vision)

Post by mariocki »

The Umbrella sets are head and shoulders above the Clearvision versions in terms of picture quality, edits and extras but they're quite hard to find now, certainly at reasonable prices.

jno
405 lines

Post by jno »

Agree 100% - the Umbrella sets are the only definitive Minder release. Dare I say it, as a Minder anorak completist, there are still one or two things that could have gone on them (but a certain tube has Daley alternatives) ... have to say so, Umbrella are light years ahead of any UK release.

Personally, I like the commentary tracks - there are one or two mistakes due to the passage of time (as to be expected) and George Cole has a few interesting tales to tell, but as I'm so into Minder I've heard these stories many times. The Gary Webster/Tony Hoare/Andrew Payne ones are good and with Minder it is often the less known characters that seem to have the more interesting stories to tell. I have spoken to Michael (Meic) Povey (Taff Jones) several times about Minder and he has many funny tales of what went on off set while he was standing around waiting to shoot his small bits and for me, it is a shame that such funny stories never make it on to a definitive DVD release. The only problem with the Umbrella disks is tracking them down for a decent price - series 1-3 are now pretty scarce if you want originals.

Here's a pic of a job lot I found at Arfur's lockup:

An Unwanted Pfennig
405 lines

Post by An Unwanted Pfennig »

Surely this has to be a golden opportunity for an entirely inappropriate reminder that "Big Deal", series two and three, have been shamefully abandoned and really should be given a release. Classic series, excellent for the Minder crowd - a little darker perhaps but a really good production. Classic London telly.

Sorry for the cheeky interjection.

Cheers.