Slot changes

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

Slot changes

Post by Mark »

With mention of the distinct lack of faith in "The Law Centre", before it was even screened, I was thinking about TV series that were networked but moved after a while because of poor ratings.

There was the excellent "Virgin Of The Secret Service", which was shifted about, and "The Adventures Of Don Quick", and that was only six episodes.

"The Crezz" was a good idea and should have worked, but ended up moved to a later slot, as was "Kinvig".

It still happens, of course, just recently the Sunday night series, "Change Your Tune" was moved to the afternoon and a repeat of "Celebrity Catchphrase" was in it's place.

Any others?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

fatcat
D-MAC

Re: Slot changes

Post by fatcat »

Not so much due to poor ratings but IIRC think there was a spat going between ATV and LWT in the early days which saw them shuffling each others programmes around...The popular Sunday live game show 'The Golden Shot' was shown for a while on the following Saturday on LWT in the MORNING among the kids programmes with captions popping up during the phone ins saying 'this line is closed' etc.

.. While ATV initially didn't take Catweazle which was lapped up and virtually networked to everywhere else and chose to show their old ITC kid's show 'The Forest Rangers' instead.

LWT also premiered 'From a Bird's Eye View' at around 12 AM! and 'Shirley's World' also in the graveyard shot before the horror film.

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

The strange world of gurney slade was moved to a late night slot, still dont know if this prog" was brilliant or rubbish!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I think all the examples so far have come from ITV, which is understandable since they've got their advertisers to consider, but the BBC does it as well (with perhaps less justification). For instance, in 2003 BBC1 moved Trevor's World of Sport from Fridays at 9pm to Mondays at 10pm after just three episodes (and after the Radio Times had gone to press). Andy Hamilton was so angry that he vowed never to work for BBC1 again, though he subsequently changed his mind. The following year the programme was revived on Radio 4 and ran for three successful series, so some good came of it.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I think I would put "Gurney Slade" In the 'Brilliant' category.

Famously, there was "Celebrity Wrestling", in 2005, Sat nights, but then relegated to an early Sun slot.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

The infamous CHURCHILL'S PEOPLE.

7 episodes after the news at 9:25pm, then mostly shifted to 10:10pm for the other 19. Though episode 14 was pushed almost to an 11pm start, with an episode of KOJAK put before it.

BBC Scotland moved the later episodes to a different day, but equally as late.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

UFO could be counted, on the strength of two episodes being held back and then shown in late-night slots.

In 2011 the first five episodes of the piss-poor Outcasts were shown on Mondays and Tuesdays at 21:00, before being shifted to late-night Sundays for the remaining three.

Just this week, the final episode of Kiss Me First was shifted from 22:00 to 23:00 to make way for an important repeat of last Friday's Gogglebollocks.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

I think "Kinvig" had this problem - at least for those of us in the North East.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Mark wrote:With mention of the distinct lack of faith in "The Law Centre", before it was even screened, I was thinking about TV series that were networked but moved after a while because of poor ratings.

There was the excellent "Virgin Of The Secret Service", which was shifted about, and "The Adventures Of Don Quick", and that was only six episodes.
Although at least both Virgin and Quick were retained in their slot by their home region even if everyone else shunted them hither and thither. Poor old Law Centre didn't even manage that.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

fatcat wrote:While ATV initially didn't take Catweazle which was lapped up and virtually networked to everywhere else and chose to show their old ITC kid's show 'The Forest Rangers' instead.
I think that's putting an unfair slant on it.

ATV had been showing The Forest Rangers in that slot for some months before Catweazle started on LWT and would continue to do so for around a year after Catweazle finished. It's more a case that they chose not to replace a series which - presumably - was doing well enough for them in that slot (and which, despite its age, was in colour) with LWT's new series.

ghughesarch
405 lines

Post by ghughesarch »

2002's BBC demon-fighting defrocked priest drama "Strange" was shunted round the schedules without a second thought, IIRC. A pity because it was quite enjoyable and deserved more.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

I think STRANGE was more the victim of CASUALTY's run, which it followed, ending and its final two episodes being pushed later into Saturday evening because longer programmes, (the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE film and then the first part of HEARTS OF GOLD), took the hospital drama's place. The news was slotted in before that pair too, instead of afterwards as with the first four.

pilot: 9pm
1: 9:05pm
2: 9:05pm
3: 9:05pm
4: 9:10pm
5: 10:20pm
6: 10:05pm

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

Am I right in thinking "Ultimate Force" got moved (and as a result, its storylines became watered down)?

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Ronco wrote:Am I right in thinking "Ultimate Force" got moved (and as a result, its storylines became watered down)?
It switched from weekdays to weekends, I don't know whether that had an effect, but from a timeslot point of view nothing much changed. The later episodes were longer - usually a 70-minute episode in a 90 slot rather than the usual 50/60 of the earlier series, but that was accomplished by having a later finish time rather than an earlier start.

16/09/2002 21:00-22:35 The Killing House
18/09/2002 21:00-22:00 Just a Target
25/09/2002 21:00-22:00 Natural Selection
02/10/2002 21:00-22:00 Breakout
09/10/2002 21:00-22:00 The Killing of a One-Eyed Bookie
12/10/2002 21:30-22:30 Something to Do with Justice

18/06/2003 21:00-22:00 Communication
25/06/2003 21:00-22:00 Mad Dogs
02/07/2003 21:00-22:00 Wannabes
09/07/2003 21:00-22:00 The List
16/07/2003 21:00-22:00 What in the Name of God...
23/07/2003 21:00-22:00 Dead is Forever

08/01/2005 21:00-22:30 Deadlier than the Male
15/01/2005 21:10-22:40 Never Go Back
22/01/2005 21:10-22:40 The Class of 1980
07/05/2005 21:30-23:00 Weapon of Choice

29/04/2006 21:05-23:05 The Changing of the Guard
06/05/2006 21:10-22:40 Charlie Bravo
18/05/2008 21:00-22:30 The Dividing Line
25/05/2008 21:15-22:45 Violent Solutions
01/06/2008 21:00-22:30 Slow Bomb

rosalyn
625 lines

Post by rosalyn »

Space 1999 in London, which began its run of edited teatime episodes on Saturdays in September 1975 at 5.50pm for fourteen weeks, then one at 6.25pm. After the Christmas break it was back on in January 1976 on Saturday mornings at 11.30am through until March.

Series two began later the same year in September on Saturday mornings where the time slot became inconsistent due to sporting events and a networked political event. 11.30am, then 10.20am for one week with a savagely edited episode, then 11.00am, back to 11.30am, then 11.00am again, finally settling at 10.55am running up to the week before Christmas 1976.

Repeats were generally on Saturday mornings at 11.30am, but there were some Sunday lunchtime repeats of series two, firstly at 1.25pm, then 1.30pm, and one unscheduled broadcast early one Sunday morning at 9.05am. With the final set of repeats, it was back to Saturday mornings again, firstly at 9.35am, then after eight weeks moving to 11.15am, and lastly to 11.20am.

These slot changes often determined how many commercial breaks there were in some of these programmes.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

In something of an about-face compared to the usual goings on, LWT's sitcom The Many Wives of Patrick started life on LWT at 10pm (on a Saturday, so it didn't displace News at Ten) but after six weeks of this, the final episode of the first series was shown at 7pm.

The second series was given a more standard sitcom start time of 7.30pm on LWT, 7pm on ATV. However, with three episodes to go, ATV moved it to Monday afternoons while on LWT the final episode seems to have been held over until 4.30pm on a Sunday afternoon... almost two years later!

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

There was a brief period in about 2003 when ITV became seriously brutal about this. An absolutely charming six part drama serial called SINGLE starring Michelle Collins had its last episode shown at about half past eleven in a midweek slot with absolutely no warning, so those of us sitting down to catch part six as billed in the RADIO TIMES were very perturbed. Another good drama, Family, written by Roger Smith, suffered the same fate but earlier into its run.

The disasterous THE SAINT in 1989 was ditched from Saturday nights after two episodes (the first one shown was also not the one billed in the press).

I can’t be sure of this, but did it also happen to ADRIAN MOLE: THE CAPUCCINO YEARS? It began on a Friday night to huge hype, was poorly received and it seemed to have vanished much less than six weeks later...

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Joe Baker post deleted as mutually unfounded.

Rory Clark
405 lines

Post by Rory Clark »

fatcat wrote:Back in the mists of time, a comedian called Joe Baker was rising through the TV comedy ranks and was given his own TV show
in 1967 called ' Baker's Half Dozen' five eps were shown in 1967..
...the last one didn't get transmitted until late night sometime in 1976.

In the intervening period Joe had to go abroad to get work,but made a sort of come back in the UK with some washing powder ads where people suddenly remembered him and they became rather popular.
I too was intrigued by that after reading about it in Mark Lewisohn’s Radio Times Guide to Comedy. Looking up the 1976 transmission in the Times TV listings reveals that it was actually an American programme featuring Alan Sues, Dick Patterson and Richard X. Slattery.
... and a right looking ponce no one's ever heard of.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

I think this is just one of those things that Mark's got completely wrong.

Yes, it was the case that the same episode was billed in TV Times on consecutive weeks but all that seems to have happened is that, for reasons lost in the mists of time, two episodes were swapped around in the tx order, and the decision was made after the listings magazines had gone to press. By the end of the run (in 1967) we'd still had all six.

Some newspapers even provided the missing episode title: "The Two Musketeers", shown 11 Oct 1967 by Rediffusion in London and two days later by ATV in the midlands.

Dick Fiddy
405 lines

Post by Dick Fiddy »

One spectacular example is the jimmy Edward's period piece sitcom Sir Yellow (Yorkshire 1973). The first two episodes went out at 7pm on a Sunday but it was so badly received that by the third episode it was relegated to a post-midnight slot.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Dick Fiddy wrote:One spectacular example is the jimmy Edward's period piece sitcom Sir Yellow (Yorkshire 1973). The first two episodes went out at 7pm on a Sunday but it was so badly received that by the third episode it was relegated to a post-midnight slot.
That's a very good one.

It was Friday night to begin with - 7pm, as you say - then moved to post-midnight on Sunday's schedule by LWT, though Yorkshire persevered with it on Fridays till the end.

ATV must have smelt a rat from the off, it was given the bizarre slot of 12.30pm on Sundays from week one.

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

Simon Coward wrote:In something of an about-face compared to the usual goings on, LWT's sitcom The Many Wives of Patrick started life on LWT at 10pm (on a Saturday, so it didn't displace News at Ten) but after six weeks of this, the final episode of the first series was shown at 7pm.

The second series was given a more standard sitcom start time of 7.30pm on LWT, 7pm on ATV. However, with three episodes to go, ATV moved it to Monday afternoons while on LWT the final episode seems to have been held over until 4.30pm on a Sunday afternoon... almost two years later!
That sounds typical of how ATV treated LWT material wherever possible. Lew Grade famously loathed LWT and David Frost personally after the channel won ATV's former London franchise.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Ian Fryer wrote:
Simon Coward wrote:That sounds typical of how ATV treated LWT material wherever possible. Lew Grade famously loathed LWT and David Frost personally after the channel won ATV's former London franchise.
You're not wrong about ATV and LWT's relationship, though by 1973 LWT had at least proven themselves as capable of providing hit shows, and ATV were more likely to play ball with them. But in any case, Sir Yellow was a Yorkshire production...

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

Simon Coward wrote:
Ian Fryer wrote:
Simon Coward wrote:That sounds typical of how ATV treated LWT material wherever possible. Lew Grade famously loathed LWT and David Frost personally after the channel won ATV's former London franchise.
You're not wrong about ATV and LWT's relationship, though by 1973 LWT had at least proven themselves as capable of providing hit shows, and ATV were more likely to play ball with them. But in any case, Sir Yellow was a Yorkshire production...
Oh yes I was referribng to The Many Wives of Patrick. Sir Yellow was probably just not very good - beyond Rising Damp and Oh No, It's Selwyn Froggit I really struggle with YTV's comedy output.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Ian Fryer wrote:
Simon Coward wrote:
Ian Fryer wrote:That sounds typical of how ATV treated LWT material wherever possible. Lew Grade famously loathed LWT and David Frost personally after the channel won ATV's former London franchise.
Simon Coward wrote:You're not wrong about ATV and LWT's relationship, though by 1973 LWT had at least proven themselves as capable of providing hit shows, and ATV were more likely to play ball with them. But in any case, Sir Yellow was a Yorkshire production...
Oh yes I was referribng to The Many Wives of Patrick. Sir Yellow was probably just not very good - beyond Rising Damp and Oh No, It's Selwyn Froggit I really struggle with YTV's comedy output.
Apologies, I was following the flow rather than actually reading the passage you quoted. My fault.

The odd thing about TMWoP was that after the first series, LWT seems to have made a batch of 13 but while they split it 7-5-1 (shown in 1977, 1978 and 1980), ATV actually ran more of them to begin with than the parent company and finished it sooner. They split it as 8-2-3 (1977, 1978, 1978) with the two being a late replacement for The Krypton Factor (not sure why, I haven't delved) and the three being the afternoon broadcasts I mentioned.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Richard O'Sullivan's last comedy, "Trouble In Mind", had it's final episodes shown a couple of months later, due to low ratings.

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

Surprised no ones mentioned Granadas "Big breadwinner hog", which i think was dropped by a couple of regions altogether and screened later by the rest, Friday nights were my favorite times, i could stay up late, no school next day, and Granadas hard hitting drama series i thought were just great.
Remember Hogg caused quite a storm back then.

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

I'm working from memory here, but I'm pretty sure The Strange World of Gurney Slade was shunted around different timeslots across the ITV regions as it became clear that the show was too odd for wide public acceptance.

Even The Avengers, during the run of Diana Rigg's colour episodes, was moved to different times or taken off completely in some regions as the show took on more camp and SF elements. I believe the STV region is the one I'm especially thinking of l.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

prisoner5 wrote:Surprised no ones mentioned Granadas "Big breadwinner hog", which i think was dropped by a couple of regions altogether and screened later by the rest, Friday nights were my favorite times, i could stay up late, no school next day, and Granadas hard hitting drama series i thought were just great.
Remember Hogg caused quite a storm back then.
That's a good call, and unlike most of the others here not the result of poorer than expected ratings.