"Strangers" theme tune

What's not currently on the box
Brock
HD

"Strangers" theme tune

Post by Brock »

I've just listened to the theme tune to Granada's Strangers, starring Don Henderson, which I remember well.

It was very, very, very close to Birdland by Weather Report, was it not? So close that I'm surprised there weren't accusations of plagiarism. Or were there?

fatcat
D-MAC

Re: "Strangers" theme tune

Post by fatcat »

Birdland was by Josef Zawinul which of course maybe a nom de plume ..be interesting to know what the music credits for Strangers are.

Some reckon 'The High Chaparral' theme was a rip off of 'Telstar' by the Tornados.

I suppose in some cases a composer is not aware consciously of what his mind has absorbed from somewhere else.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Oh yes, and it can work both ways. The Motors' 1978 single "Forget About You" is such a blatant rip-off of Keith Mansfield's Grandstand theme that I was amazed they got away with it.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Joe Zawinul certainly wasn't a pseudonym. As well as being in Weather Report he played with Miles Davis and composed tracks on In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew.

The Strangers theme was by Mike Moran, who has quite a long list of TV music credits - and yes, he'd have been in trouble if Weather Report had brought an action for plagiarism.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Wasn't the middle section of "Blakes 7", very similar to song in the charts, a couple of years earlier ?, (only I can't recall the title).
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Al Dupres
405 lines

Post by Al Dupres »

Mark wrote:Wasn't the middle section of "Blakes 7", very similar to song in the charts, a couple of years earlier ?, (only I can't recall the title).
John Miles' sizeable hit "Music".

Al

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

What about TV theme tunes that copy other ones? The opening bars of Ronnie Hazlehurst's theme for Blankety Blank come straight from the middle section of Sam Fonteyn's theme for Please Sir!, a decade earlier.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Al Dupres wrote:
Mark wrote:Wasn't the middle section of "Blakes 7", very similar to song in the charts, a couple of years earlier ?, (only I can't recall the title).
John Miles' sizeable hit "Music".

Al
Yes, that's the one , thanks, had a listen, of course a very familiar song ( with a very familiar middle section!).

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brock wrote:What about TV theme tunes that copy other ones? The opening bars of Ronnie Hazlehurst's theme for Blankety Blank come straight from the middle section of Sam Fonteyn's theme for Please Sir!, a decade earlier.
Never noticed that, and "Please Sir!" is an all-time favourite!.