"Lying" game

What's not currently on the box
Brock
HD

"Lying" game

Post by Brock »

A while back in another thread, JezR wrote:
To Tell The Truth was a panel game where the object was to identify the "real" person amongst two imposters whereas Cuckoo in the Nest was a panel game where the object was to identify the imposter amongst two "real" people.
I distinctly remember a game show of this type where each of the three could be either an impostor or the genuine article - so all three could be telling the truth, or two, or one, or none at all. (I specifically remember a round where they all claimed to be naturists and none of them were.) Early 70s probably. I've searched UK Game Shows but can't find anything that fits.

It might, conceivably, have been a one-off episode of Cuckoo in the Nest where they changed the normal rules. (I was in the HTV region where at least one series went out in prime-time.) Any ideas?

perov
405 lines

Re: "Lying" game

Post by perov »

Was it Tell the Truth with Graham Garden 1983?

A clip is on You Tube.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Tell the Truth is the show that JezR was referring to, where panellists had to identify the "real" person among two impostors. (It was based on a US show called To Tell the Truth, which may explain the slight confusion about the title.) According to UK Game Shows, it had three separate outings on ITV: as an ATV show from 1957-61 (presented by MacDonald Hobley, David Jacobs and Shaw Taylor), an LWT show from 1983-5 (presented by Graeme Garden), and a TVS show from 1989-90 (presented by Fred Dinenage).

I've checked the Lying category on UK Game Shows and there doesn't seem to be anything fitting my description, so I can only assume that they must have changed the rules of Cuckoo in the Nest for some reason.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

Prior to the Graham Garden hosted version, 'Tell the Truth' was also one of the three sections of the 60 minute 'The Steve Jones Game Show' c1979/80 (which itself had been a follow up to a featured section of Bruce Forsyth's Big Night 1978) ... the most significant game that also featured in the Jones' melange being 'The (£1000) Pyramid Game' which Jones went on to host, I think in two incarnations, as it's own standalone show.
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

A bit of pedantry: it was actually "The Steve Jones Games Show", as it featured three different games. UK Game Shows says they were Which is Which?, Tag Match and The £1000 Pyramid Game - I don't recall Tell the Truth being part of it, though I only saw it once or twice.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

If you want to be a pedant, check your facts - you can't always believe everything you read on the internet ;)

From TVTimes and The Times Digital Archive - the name is consistent on all dates I checked. No detail about the games other than the prize money.

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

My memory is definitely the singlular 'game' in the title like the clippings show ... it wasn't a networked show, I remember an episode or two turning up on Yorkshire TV on Sunday afternoons c1980.

... and 'something' tells me that 'Tell the Truth' was part of it ... maybe it was re-titled 'Which is Which'?

The £1000 Pyramid Game was the climax (and obviously the 'main' game), shown in part 3. It's strange the things that stay in memory but I have a recollection that a woman contestant called 'Jules' won through to the Pyramid 'big money' final ... Steve Jones was about to lead her to the seat, when the celebrity partner (an old school gentleman it seems - can't remember who it was) said "after you Jules" and so the spectacled wearing Jones - who was striding ahead - pulled back, said "yes, after you Jules" and let her go first!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

stearn wrote:If you want to be a pedant, check your facts - you can't always believe everything you read on the internet ;)

From TVTimes and The Times Digital Archive - the name is consistent on all dates I checked. No detail about the games other than the prize money.
Well that's interesting, because I distinctly remember Steve Jones saying "that's 'Games', not 'Game'" at the start of the first episode. (Of course the title may have been changed subsequently.)

And I think doubleM is right about the lack of networking - I remember it being shown on LWT around 6pm on Saturdays but not on the rest of the network. Whether Tell the Truth was part of it I wouldn't like to say.

EDIT: The BFI database has it as The Steve Jones Games Show. I have a feeling that the title may have changed at some point.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Brock wrote:.

EDIT: The BFI database has it as The Steve Jones Games Show. I have a feeling that the title may have changed at some point.
They probably gave up in disappointment.
"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em".

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Could be - maybe it was incorrectly billed as "The Steve Jones Game Show" so often that it became the official title?

It's possible to be a bit too pedantic in programme titles sometimes. The short-lived BBC1 talent show "David Essex' Showcase" had the possessive apostrophe after the "x" (presumably to indicate that it wasn't a showcase for David Essex). Although it was billed that way in the Radio Times, I think most of the newspapers just billed it as "David Essex Showcase" or even "The David Essex Showcase".

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

The following trailer for 'Summer on ITV 1979' has a clip at about the 40 second mark ... the Peter Lewis voiceover definitely calling it 'The Steve Jones Game Show' in the singular.

Summer on ITV

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I can't tell whether he's saying "Game" or "Games" there - it could be either.

Any idea of the date of that clip by the way? It can't be too long before the start of the strike.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Very close, the trail is for series starting at the end of July.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"