"A Binge Of Goodies" Network

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

"A Binge Of Goodies" Network

Post by Mark »

Box set, up for pre-order.

All the episodes + specials ( bar the LWT series).
The Goodies live event.
2 books by Lord. P, of Archive Towers.
A 3-CD set.

veeery nice!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Re: "A Binge Of Goodies" Network

Post by Spiny Norman »

But will there be chroma colour recovery for Commonwealth Games and Caught in the act...?

Will they team up to redub (ADR style) their sketches with Engelbert Humperdinck?
This is nøt å signåture.™

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

As it hasn't been mentioned here the actual episodes are on 12 DVDs, running time 2040min - in case anyone was worried about the number per disc.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'm not sure about CR or any re-dubs, ( seems unlikely though) but there shouldn't be any cuts, unless there are any music issues.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I must say, the CD set sounds very good, looking forward to clean versions of "Needed" amongst others.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Radio 3, Tuesday 25th, "Free Thinking", 10pm, with Matthew Sweet talking to The Super Chaps Three, and promoting the new DVD set.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Mine arrived yesterday...wonderful. Nice signed card in an envelope and the whole thing came in a Goodies tote bag.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Got mine too, I should have been certified, but wasn't though, oh well!

Everyone I know agrees I should have been certified, but I'm not sure they are talking about the same thing...anyway it looks a good set.

Nice CD set, it's a shame the earlier music tracks don't seem to have survived, so no 'Needed', still a nice comp though.

Left Field
405 lines

Post by Left Field »

I was impressed with the "Free Thinking" - not many revelations unknown to dedicated fans but an interesting and engaging listen emphasising how the episodes can be seen as satirical and progressive - perhaps overstated but thought-provoking. It can be heard or the podcast downloaded at:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000hcb

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Yes, a great interview. Thanks for the link since I would never have thought of going to Radio 3 to find it! I can't actually recall the last time I heard all three Goodies in the same programme.

(Incidentally, I was intrigued by the reference to Twice a Fortnight - did Germaine Greer really appear in a comedy show?)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brock wrote:Yes, a great interview. Thanks for the link since I would never have thought of going to Radio 3 to find it! I can't actually recall the last time I heard all three Goodies in the same programme.

(Incidentally, I was intrigued by the reference to Twice a Fortnight - did Germaine Greer really appear in a comedy show?)
She did, she was also a tad zany with Kenny Everett in Granada's "Nice Time".

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

Thoroughly enjoyed the Radio 3 Show. Particularly good on the gestation of the show via "Broaden your Mind" and the reasons for moving to ITV.

Only awkward moment was the interviewer trying to attach great significance to a clip from an old "Doctor in the House" episode that both Bill and Graeme obviously didn't have the slightest recollection of having written!

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Brock wrote:Yes, a great interview. Thanks for the link since I would never have thought of going to Radio 3 to find it! I can't actually recall the last time I heard all three Goodies in the same programme.

Yes she did, there's not only some audio recordings but also some surviving video where she can be seen!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Spiny Norman wrote:

Yes she did, there's not only some audio recordings but also some surviving video where she can be seen!
That surviving footage would make a nice extra somewhere!

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:

That surviving footage would make a nice extra somewhere!
Or a youtube video, if a miscreant got hold of it. :o

There's also some clips from The Late Show surviving.
The best place (ignoring ownership for a moment) would have been the inComplete and Utter History box; because they had a battle of Hastings bit and "land...mine" that predates that series.

Although back to the Goodies: It seems that the new goodies box has not included some of the previous extras: commentary tracks, audio without laughter, Broaden Your Mind footage. Isn't that true?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes that's right, but I was always going to hold on to the comp sets anyway.

Still on series 1 at the moment though.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Thanks for pointing out the Free Thinking programme. It's a really good long interview with The Super Chaps Three and Mathew Sweet knows The Goodies well. I take it when Graeme Garden said, near the start, "shows like The Pretenders (and The Persuaders)" he meant The Protectors. It was nice, just after explaining that he wrote all the songs and music for the show, that Bill mentioned musical director Dave MacRae too; the music's great. Still just got my old video recordings collected from here and there over the years but the box set is going to be hard to resist.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

Can anyone confirm if these episodes are 'as originally broadcast' or if some edits have been made due to content which most people would still feel is acceptable with a warning?

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

ozsat wrote:Can anyone confirm if these episodes are 'as originally broadcast' or if some edits have been made due to content which most people would still feel is acceptable with a warning?
Given that they have left the Jimmy Savile jokes - and even visual appearnaces - in some of the early episodes, I would assume not.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Meanwhile, Phil Morris has found a film print of Kitten Kong, which might or might not be the lost original version.
Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
ozsat wrote:Can anyone confirm if these episodes are 'as originally broadcast' or if some edits have been made due to content which most people would still feel is acceptable with a warning?
Given that they have left the Jimmy Savile jokes - and even visual appearnaces - in some of the early episodes, I would assume not.
Somewhere I read a report that a clip from Star Trek had been replaced with a picture from Doctor Who.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
It's a different thing with DVD, I'm not sure I have seen any PC edits on DVD's as the buyer knows what they are getting, it just seems to affect TV broadcasts.

Having said that, saw a repeat of "The Chase" on one channel ( possibly Challenge), and the answer to one question was Jimmy Saville, clearly spoken by The Chaser.!

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

Speaking of edits I remember a 1990s VHS tape which included, "Scatty Safari". I remembered it well from its original transmission.

Towards the end of that episode the RH characters disappeared into an ATV studio. We saw the ATV logo and the end of the ident tune. On the VHS release this had been changed to "ITV" with a different jingle.

You could see it had just been done as it was VT superimposed onto film.

Wonder if this DVD includes the none altered version, assuming the episode is included that is?

ray lomas
405 lines

Post by ray lomas »

Having watched this particular episode only yesterday, I can confirm it's the original ATV version.