Trailers

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Trailers

Post by Mark »

Found this interesting piece on the Genome blog:

Trails

That "Knockout" trail was done on the Harmony backlot from "The Prisoner", and still exists, it used to be on the TV Ark site.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
Bernie
D-MAC
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Trailers

Post by Bernie »

I spent fifteen years making BBC trails - a huge amount of time in Pres A and probably even more in VT. Maurice was ahead of me by a few years and i didn't meet him till an event at the BFI run by Ed Stradling a couple of years ago. Pic on the right in Pres A after it was refurbished in 1982

The background picture on the Genome page was taken on Juke Box Jury in TC2 and the cameraman on the right with the Marconi MkIV is Mike du Boulay, a Canadian wearing his Canadian baseball T shirt, unheard of here at the time.

B

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Trailers

Post by Mark »

Can you recall what your first Trail was, Bernie?

I think Trails are an important aspect of TV history, whether specially filmed or clip based ones, and are always fascinating to see.

Specially filmed ones seem rare these days, although there was one for the recent big "Corrie" storyline, with several rain soaked characters in a circle in the middle of the street, with multi-versions of the villainous Phelan approaching them.

Would love to know what still exists in the form of Trails and Continuity, as well as Programme slides used and so on ( plenty as off-airs)

There was a good one for "Survivors" on Four's Doc on the show, and I remember seeing an off-air for the Eurovision 81 final ( again, on Four's Eurovision history Doc).
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

prisoner5
625 lines
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:24 am
Location: Spalding lincs

Re: Trailers

Post by prisoner5 »

Would any continuity survive? growing up we would watch Anglia or atv as our local stations and the invision announcer would be a friendly face we all got to know, Peter Tomlinson the weekend atv guy, who was superb on Tiswas, would come up with some great links in to progs,like surrounding himself with teddy bears while introducing the late Friday night horror movie, he always showed such great enthusiasm when promoting upcoming shows, and we would never go to bed before his final words before closedown "goodnight to you all again", then of course the white dot has to disappear.
Always fondly remember the continuity links.

wittoner
625 lines
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:10 am

Re: Trailers

Post by wittoner »

I remember Granada's continuity announcers from the 60s/early 70s very fondly. Their closedown announcements were always worth staying up for. I particularly remember a phase circa 1970/71 when they used to sign off with awful jokes on the basis that "if that doesn't make you switch off nothing will!"

Another time one of them made a complete hash of giving a closing time check. The following evening he got it right and was rewarded with a huge round of cheers & applause from everyone in the studio. Happy Days!

User avatar
Bernie
D-MAC
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Trailers

Post by Bernie »

Mark wrote:Can you recall what your first Trail was, Bernie?
Actually, after a bit of thought, I do. I had a short attachment a couple of years before the real one and I was given the first episode of Happy Ever After. It had to run 50" exactly.
Mark wrote:Specially filmed ones seem rare these days,
They always were. It takes time and money.

B

User avatar
Bernie
D-MAC
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Trailers

Post by Bernie »

Mark wrote:.... and I remember seeing an off-air for the Eurovision 81 final ( again, on Four's Eurovision history Doc).
Was it this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQvj7V5OrzM . One of mine. As far as I know it only existed on my VHS until I put it on YouTube

B

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Trailers

Post by Mark »

prisoner5 wrote:Would any continuity survive? growing up we would watch Anglia or atv as our local stations and the invision announcer would be a friendly face we all got to know, Peter Tomlinson the weekend atv guy, who was superb on Tiswas, would come up with some great links in to progs,like surrounding himself with teddy bears while introducing the late Friday night horror movie, he always showed such great enthusiasm when promoting upcoming shows, and we would never go to bed before his final words before closedown "goodnight to you all again", then of course the white dot has to disappear.
Always fondly remember the continuity links.
There are certainly off-airs from 70's onwards, both BBC and ITV, and a number of junctions between programmes including "Jackanory" and "Blue Peter".

Yes, I remember with fondness, the personal touch from announcers, they really made the following day's schedule sound like a treat ( which it was) and made TV something special.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Trailers

Post by Mark »

wittoner wrote:I remember Granada's continuity announcers from the 60s/early 70s very fondly. Their closedown announcements were always worth staying up for. I particularly remember a phase circa 1970/71 when they used to sign off with awful jokes on the basis that "if that doesn't make you switch off nothing will!"

Another time one of them made a complete hash of giving a closing time check. The following evening he got it right and was rewarded with a huge round of cheers & applause from everyone in the studio. Happy Days!
They became very familiar faces, and some great characters, also enjoyed some of the closedown music used.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Trailers

Post by Mark »

Bernie wrote:
Mark wrote:Can you recall what your first Trail was, Bernie?
Actually, after a bit of thought, I do. I had a short attachment a couple of years before the real one and I was given the first episode of Happy Ever After. It had to run 50" exactly.
Mark wrote:Specially filmed ones seem rare these days,
They always were. It takes time and money.

B
"Happy Ever After"...that's interesting, great series.

There were a few "Doctor Who" specially made trails, usually on the sets they were using at the time, but there was a 65 one, featuring a Zarbi creature going to it's dressing room (they certainly had some fun making some of them!).
Bernie wrote:
Mark wrote:.... and I remember seeing an off-air for the Eurovision 81 final ( again, on Four's Eurovision history Doc).
Was it this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQvj7V5OrzM . One of mine. As far as I know it only existed on my VHS until I put it on YouTube

B
Yes! that's the one, very nicely done, is that Peter Bolgar announcing at the end?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

prisoner5
625 lines
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:24 am
Location: Spalding lincs

Re: Trailers

Post by prisoner5 »

On Anglia they used to have birthday mentions during childrens tv and one day i recall all the names seemed very false as if someone was messing about with the autocue, the in vision announcer had to struggle with a half smile on his face reading out some very strange names, never forgotten it.
Also interesting to me is the words spoken by hosts to go in to the break, American inspired "we ll be back after this" or "back after these important messages" and Bernie Winters with "back all of a sudden", Peter Tomlinson on Tiswas after the break "your back already, not sold many ? "
In this digital age would love to see a return to some kind of regional tv with in vision announcers, after all radio still has djs introducing the music otherwise it would be 24 hours of continuous music, rather dull.

User avatar
Bernie
D-MAC
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Trailers

Post by Bernie »

Mark wrote: Yes! that's the one, very nicely done, is that Peter Bolgar announcing at the end?
Presumably it was from off air then, as I only have the actual trail, no Peter Bolgar.

Fascinating facts -
John Braben was the voice over. His voice was supposed to cover the music edit in the middle, but the sound man didn't dip it enough on the only version saved.
Those are my fingers at the beginning. We had a number of bottles of fizz, but the others were prop ginger beer. This purposely isn't too fizzy so that it doesn't make a mess on stage. This was our one bottle of real champagne so it had to be take one.
In shot 2 and 3 my PA, now wife of many years, is hiding behind one of the thick balustrades at the top of the steps with a walkie talkie in order to cue the group.
The bit where Cheryl bursts into giggles was one of several takes. She got it right in the others.
The whole team worked at ideas to give them stuff to do. The cameraman did the most original bits, with the camera held upside down at one point to show them in the water.

B

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Trailers

Post by Mark »

prisoner5 wrote:On Anglia they used to have birthday mentions during childrens tv and one day i recall all the names seemed very false as if someone was messing about with the autocue, the in vision announcer had to struggle with a half smile on his face reading out some very strange names, never forgotten it.
Also interesting to me is the words spoken by hosts to go in to the break, American inspired "we ll be back after this" or "back after these important messages" and Bernie Winters with "back all of a sudden", Peter Tomlinson on Tiswas after the break "your back already, not sold many ? "
In this digital age would love to see a return to some kind of regional tv with in vision announcers, after all radio still has djs introducing the music otherwise it would be 24 hours of continuous music, rather dull.
Yes, it really is 'Conveyor belt TV', now!

Probably one of the most famous examples that still exists, is Central TV's Helen Lloyd and a certain 'Hypodeemic Nurdle', she must have made a few bob out of that outtake.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Trailers

Post by Mark »

Bernie wrote:
Mark wrote: Yes! that's the one, very nicely done, is that Peter Bolgar announcing at the end?
Presumably it was from off air then, as I only have the actual trail, no Peter Bolgar.

Fascinating facts -
John Braben was the voice over. His voice was supposed to cover the music edit in the middle, but the sound man didn't dip it enough on the only version saved.
Those are my fingers at the beginning. We had a number of bottles of fizz, but the others were prop ginger beer. This purposely isn't too fizzy so that it doesn't make a mess on stage. This was our one bottle of real champagne so it had to be take one.
In shot 2 and 3 my PA, now wife of many years, is hiding behind one of the thick balustrades at the top of the steps with a walkie talkie in order to cue the group.
The bit where Cheryl bursts into giggles was one of several takes. She got it right in the others.
The whole team worked at ideas to give them stuff to do. The cameraman did the most original bits, with the camera held upside down at one point to show them in the water.

B
I meant Peter Bolgar as the VO, but should have realised it was John Braben, think he did a few of the "Who" ones I have.

I think the one on the Eurovision doc was an off-air, they only used a couple of shots from it, but it's on YT, "60 Years of Eurovision", about 42 mins in.

Great info on the making of the trail, any stories like that are fascinating to read.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Trailers

Post by Mark »

Not sure if it's the earliest example of a trail that still exists, but there is the Hancock BBC trail (series 6, 1960) for the Australian market, it was missed out on the DVD box set, but it's on YT as Hancock Promo, it features Hancock and Sid ( in character) on the living room set, introducing themselves and explaining their situation.

There are various early examples of ITV trails still around, ones for "Emergency Ward 10" and "Mr Rose" are on the relevant DVD's, as is one for the "Callan" episode, "Let's Kill Everybody".
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Trailers

Post by Mark »

Looking at that BBC Four Eurovision Doc again, and it probably is Bernie's trail copy that was used.

On YT, in Sixties British commercials chapter 06, after a bunch of trails for "The Untouchables", there are three trails for Anglia's "Survival", which are well worth a look.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
Bernie
D-MAC
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Trailers

Post by Bernie »

Yes, it looks like they zoomed in a bit to lose the VHS stuff

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Trailers

Post by Mark »

Glad it still exists though.

I remember a very good Autumn Drama season trail for 1977, featuring clips from "Doctor "Who" ("The Invisible "Enemy"), "Secret Army", "Cannon", "The Rockford Files", and "Target", probably another of Yours, Bernie.

For a period in the early 80's they did special trails featuring Christmas Greetings, from the main stars of all the top BBC shows.

There was one from 1981, featuring a group of stars, such as Kenny Everett, The Two Ronnies, Noel Edmonds, Elisabeth Sladen and K9, all dressed, ( with the exception of K9, of course) as choristers on a special set, it's on YT, (there is a press photo of Elisabeth Sladen and K9 on the polystyrene ( or should that be Jabolite) snow covered set, which has sometimes been mistaken for a deleted scene in "K9 And Company".
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
Bernie
D-MAC
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Trailers

Post by Bernie »

Not mine. I moved up from cameraman to trainee assistant producer in autumn 77. We were trainees, but it didn't last long, and i had the job within weeks due to high staff turnover. I was network directing BBC2 and hadn't even been trained on it. Very scary.

I did a number of Christmas promotion campaigns. This was the last - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... uekNp4Geu8 . Christmas was good fun - you worked every day all day for weeks, then on Christmas Day you stopped and fell asleep. We did a number of "Happy Christmas" trails, but not that one.

B

David Plaice
405 lines
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: Trailers

Post by David Plaice »

Bernie wrote:I did a number of Christmas promotion campaigns. This was the last - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... uekNp4Geu8 .
B
Did you commission the animation that tops and tails it?

User avatar
Bernie
D-MAC
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Trailers

Post by Bernie »

Not really. The same events happened every year, so the graphics department were working up ideas as soon as autumn was done. They would bring their ideas to promotions boss Pat Hubbard and he would normally shout at them, as was his wont. In this case I said - given that Brucie was returning with the Gen Game - "if you can't look at it and say "Nice to see you, to see you nice" - start again".

As it turned out, it was, in my opinion, the best ever, still.

B

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Trailers

Post by Mark »

Graphics certainly came up with some good non-Christmas ones, there was an animated country road scene with a vintage car racing around, that was used in 1978, by the 80's they were coming up with ones to give a more uniform look such as the wheels and cogs one in 1986, changed each year of course.

On the "Who" trails, mid to late 70's, they used a transparent version of the Diamond Logo, that looked really good.

I assume the animations had to be included in the duration of the trail?...giving even less time to best promote the programme in question.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
Bernie
D-MAC
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Trailers

Post by Bernie »

Mark wrote:I assume the animations had to be included in the duration of the trail?...giving even less time to best promote the programme in question.
Yes, but it was all part of the system and presumably still is. We generally allowed for a seven second animation - time enough for some music and Alan Dedicoat saying "Christmas on BBC1"

B

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Trailers

Post by Mark »

Bernie wrote:
Mark wrote:I assume the animations had to be included in the duration of the trail?...giving even less time to best promote the programme in question.
Yes, but it was all part of the system and presumably still is. We generally allowed for a seven second animation - time enough for some music and Alan Dedicoat saying "Christmas on BBC1"

B
Fascinating stuff, how long were you generally allowed to put a trail together, and choosing the VO's, was it a case of who was available?

On a season 24 trail for "Who" in 1987, there is a shot of Bonnie Langford saying the line, 'I don't Believe It' ( from "Paradise Towers") that's not actually in the episode, only the dialogue over another shot, so it seems studio recording footage was sometimes used to source the clips.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
Bernie
D-MAC
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Trailers

Post by Bernie »

I've probably said all this on this forum or the last.....

We worked three weeks on and one week off (mostly). The off week Thursday was a planning day when we learned what was needed in our operational week. If one fancied filming and got the ok it was time to make phone calls. The next week was called pre-planning for obscure historical reasons. We'd make phone calls and lists for VT and film viewing, then through the week watch stuff. Friday morning was the first edit four hour session in VT with a studio session in the afternoon. That generally wasn't too busy, so you could do something experimental like the original Hitchhiker trails.

The promotions team consisted of a producer and two assistant producers plus trainees. The idea was that each member got around a dozen trails to make. When I was an AP this got very distorted, and the BBC2 AP could end up with rather more - 17 once for me, without versions. Given that the BBC2 AP also directed the network in the operational week it got quite stressful.

The second week - planning - there'd be lots of viewing, editing, and from Wednesday, studios. It rolled on without a day off into the operational week, when we transmitted our stuff and any other trails scheduled for that week, such as Christmas trails. If you were lucky you'd get a day off in the operational week. When I was producer, that tended to be rare. A string of twelve hour days.

Voice-over people were booked by the PA from a discussion with the producer. We didn't use people who did commercials - mostly - as they cost too much, also we needed reliable people as there wasn't much time available. So there was a gently changing stable of good people.

The third week was less of a thrash than the second, but by that time you were pretty tired. If you were the BBC2 AP and network directing too (historical reasons) you were there till closedown on Friday after the rest of the team were gone. We'd have a glass of wine over the Friday film. Then it was the off week, and you sleep till Monday - not quite, but nearly

B

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Trailers

Post by Mark »

Thanks for that, quite a workload.

Mention of "Hitchikers", made me head for YT, there's an original trail on there ( can't recall if it's on the DVD set) very entertaining.

Plenty of great trails still surviving, it would seem.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
Bernie
D-MAC
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Trailers

Post by Bernie »

If it's this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKImDXRiw5M that was me.

B

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3166
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: Trailers

Post by Mark »

Bernie wrote:If it's this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKImDXRiw5M that was me.

B
Ah right, no it was the one for the TV series I was looking at.

That's an excellent one for the second radio series though, with another VO from the great Peter Jones, glad that's still around too.

There's a few other Radio Times trails on YT, including a 1986 one for "Roland Rat", "Doctor Who", "Russ Abbot" and "Casualty", and a 1989 one for "Blackadder Goes Forth" with some of the rehearsal footage.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:42 am
Location: Hither Green, London
Contact:

Re: Trailers

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Mark wrote:Graphics certainly came up with some good non-Christmas ones, there was an animated country road scene with a vintage car racing around, that was used in 1978, by the 80's they were coming up with ones to give a more uniform look such as the wheels and cogs one in 1986, changed each year of course.
I've got quite a few of the "cogs" on by original VHSs of The Monocled Mutineer.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

User avatar
Bernie
D-MAC
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Trailers

Post by Bernie »

This Hitchhiker trail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8z4JAenBPo ?

That was me too, though I only have the edited clips (known as the Editec version) saved on VHS. I have a second one somewhere.

A chap who makes DVDs added extra stuff to it - top and trail graphics and voiceover plus some lower thirds. Not sure I would have done just that, but never mind

B

Post Reply