Trailers

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

Re: Trailers

Post by Mark »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Mark wrote:Graphics certainly came up with some good non-Christmas ones, there was an animated country road scene with a vintage car racing around, that was used in 1978, by the 80's they were coming up with ones to give a more uniform look such as the wheels and cogs one in 1986, changed each year of course.
I've got quite a few of the "cogs" on by original VHSs of The Monocled Mutineer.
Yes, it is good, there's one for "Trial of a Timelord" on YT, I don't think I caught that one at the time.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Bernie wrote:This Hitchhiker trail https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8z4JAenBPo ?

That was me too, though I only have the edited clips (known as the Editec version) saved on VHS. I have a second one somewhere.

A chap who makes DVDs added extra stuff to it - top and trail graphics and voiceover plus some lower thirds. Not sure I would have done just that, but never mind

B
That was the one, takes you back ( as does the RT one).

There's a trail for the "Who" serial, "The Ambassadors Of Death", which exists at the end of the TR for "Silurians" , it was re-constructed with the off-air audio, as there was no VO , music or captions on the TR copy.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

For those interested, here's a list of "Doctor Who" trails (Classic series)

Audio *
Video **

100,000 BC (TV/Radio)
Dalek Invasion Of Earth x2 **
The Web Planet (Specially filmed material)
Galaxy 4
Daleks Master Plan x2
The Celestial Toymaker
The Smugglers
The Power Of The Daleks **
The Moonbase
THe Faceless Ones *
The Evil Of The Daleks
The Tomb Of The Cybermen
The Abominable Snowmen *
The Ice Warriors ( Specially Filmed material) *
The Enemy Of The World *
The Web Of Fear (Specially filmed material) *
Fury From The Deep *
The Wheel In Space *
The Dominators
The Seeds Of Death *
The Space Pirates
The War Games *
Spearhead From Space
The Ambassadors Of Death **
The Mind of Evil *
The Day Of The Daleks
The Sea Devils *
The Three Doctors
Carnival Of Monsters *
Planet Of The Daleks
The Sea Devils (Repeat) *
Planet Of The Spiders (Repeat) **
Robot
The Ark In Space **
Terror Of The Zygons
The Seeds Of Doom *
Planet Of Evil/The Sontaran Experiment (Repeat) **
The Masque Of Mandragora *
The Face Of Evil *
Whose Doctor Who **
Horror Of Fang Rock
The Invisible Enemy **
Image Of The Fendahl **
The Sun Makers **
Series 16 ( featured clips from first 2 serials) **
The Armageddon Factor (500th episode mention) **
Destiny Of The Daleks x2 ( including specially recorded trail) **
Destiny Of The Daleks (Repeat)
The Leisure Hive **
Meglos **
State of Decay
The Keeper Of Traken **
K9 And Company **
The Five Faces Of Doctor Who **
Castrovalva x2 **
Four To Doomsday **
Time-Flight **
Arc Of Infinity x2 **
Snakedance **
Mawdryn Undead **
The Kings Demons **
The Five Doctors x3 **
Series 21 (featured clips from first 4 serials) **
Warriors Of The Deep **
Resurrection Of The Daleks **
Planet Of Fire **
The Caves Of Androzani **
The Twin Dilemma **
Attack Of The Cybermen x2 **
Vengeance On Varos **
The Mark Of The Rani **
Series 23 **
Series 24 **
Time And The Rani x2 **
Paradise Towers **
Delta And The Bannermen **
Dragonfire **
Series 25 **
Remembrance Of The Daleks x2 **
Silver Nemesis **
Series 26
Battlefield **
Survival **

I expect there were trails for "Planet Of Giants", "Terror Of The Autons", "The Time Warrior", "The Ribos Operation", so all series premieres, but can't recall them at present.

ISTR the "Planet Of The Daleks" trail featured the scene from "Frontier In Space" of the Daleks on the cliff edge.

The "Robot" trail was screened after the "Planet Of The Spiders" repeat and was very good ( ended with The new Doctor setting off the mines with Sonic Screwdriver and saying 'Come along Brigadier')

I also remember the Trail for "Horror Of Fang Rock" being screened after "Miss United Kingdom" on Sept 2 1977

nlamb
405 lines

Post by nlamb »

I wonder how many of them actually survive today either in the archives or on fan recorded audio or video tapes??

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

nlamb wrote:I wonder how many of them actually survive today either in the archives or on fan recorded audio or video tapes??
If a title is marked with * it exists on audio, if it's marked ** it exists on Video.

I think The BBC have the trails for "Dalek Invasion Of Earth" x2, "Power Of The Daleks", "The Ambassadors Of Death" (B/W minus VO and captions) "Planet Of The Spiders" (Repeat), "The Ark In Space", Series 16, 24,25 (New Season Trails).

All other existing trails Audio or Video are domestic recordings AFAIK.

There is also quite a few 'Saturday Night Programmes' Menu trails, as domestic recordings, the earliest on Video I have seen (On YT) is from May 75, and features a clip from "Revenge Of The Cybermen".

Any corrections to the list or new info is welcome.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There were one or two trails ( of a sort) at the end of a couple of episodes of the first "Tomorrow People" serial, "The Slaves Of Jedikiah", they exist on the recordings at the end of the episodes, as they were there to pad out the episode durations.

There was a lengthy one at the start of series 2, leading in to the first episode of "The Blue And The Green", it showed clips from the forthcoming serials and was narrated by Phillip Gilbert (TIM) doesn't seem to survive though, and I have never seen it mentioned anywhere.

It led into the titles and music with the rousing line:

'Lets not waste any more time, lets jaunt ourselves into the land of tomorrow..with...THE TOMORROW PEOPLE'.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Mark wrote:
Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Mark wrote:Graphics certainly came up with some good non-Christmas ones, there was an animated country road scene with a vintage car racing around, that was used in 1978, by the 80's they were coming up with ones to give a more uniform look such as the wheels and cogs one in 1986, changed each year of course.
I've got quite a few of the "cogs" on by original VHSs of The Monocled Mutineer.
Yes, it is good, there's one for "Trial of a Timelord" on YT, I don't think I caught that one at the time.
I have that one, as well.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

I've been looking into Knights of God a lot recently, mostly as relates to the various non-UK video releases (Denmark, Finland, Germany, and Spain got compilations of varying length), and in the process I was surprised to find this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1twKNuJqmo

It's notable that it doesn't specify a timeslot because whilst all ITV regions screened the episodes on the same day, they didn't all show them at the same time.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

That's a good one, I hadn't spotted that.

Would make a great extra on the DVD, not that that's likely anytime soon, if ever!

Seem to recall it on Sunday teatimes in the Granada region.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

"And now on Sunday Tea-Time, 'Knights of God..."
(Entire audience changes channel).

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:"And now on Sunday Tea-Time, 'Knights of God..."
Not your thing then!

Good effort and great cast.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Mark wrote:
Not your thing then!

I was trying to point out that the title, along with the Sunday tea-time slot, may have caused people to 'turn over' in error.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:
Mark wrote:
Not your thing then!

I was trying to point out that the title, along with the Sunday tea-time slot, may have caused people to 'turn over' in error.
Oh yes!, I see what you mean, it's been that long since we had a religious slot on Sunday Teatime I'd forgotten about that.

Of course had they all turned over, it would presumably have been "Songs Of Praise".

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

As you imply viewers generally thought they were going to get hymn singing and a lecture from a vicar in the god slot, but ITV tried to make it interesting by sailing close to the edge of the remit and probably through lack of trailers that many missed the fine little dramas and docs they played in 'the hour'. Of course ITV's natural attraction towards schmalz and glamour reached it's crescendo with Jess Yates' Stars on Sunday.
Obviously any dramas had to adhere to the guidlines of the slot but ITV did manage to make them entertaining without shoving religion down people's throat.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

So was Knights of God shown in the 'God Slot', then?
That would account for why I missed what looks like a good television drama.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I'm getting confused here. First we had:
Nick Cooper 625 wrote: It's notable that it doesn't specify a timeslot because whilst all ITV regions screened the episodes on the same day, they didn't all show them at the same time.
and now:
brigham wrote:So was Knights of God shown in the 'God Slot', then?
I don't know anything about the programme, but the "God Slot" was a fixed period across the network during which BBC1 and ITV were only allowed to show programmes of a religious nature. It would have been impossible for a non-networked programme to be shown in the "God Slot", surely?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'm sure it was something like 5.30 or 6pm.

I thought the religious slot became more flexible, shows like "Highway" were sometimes on late afternoon from what I can remember.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Sunday afternoons could be very tedious! BBC2 had Ski Sunday and The Money Programme, which to be honest weren't an awful lot more interesting than the non secular fare on the other channels but at least they had decent theme tunes.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Mark wrote:I'm sure it was something like 5.30 or 6pm.
#1 = 16:00-16:30*
#2 = 16:30-17:00 bar TSW & TVS 17:00-17:30
#3-6 = 16:30-17:00 bar Channel, TSW & TVS 17:00-17:30
#7 = 16:30-17:00 bar Border, Channel & TSW 17:00-17:30, Grampian & Scottish 17:30-18:00**
#8-13 = 16:30-17:00 bar Channel, TSW & TVS 17:00-17:30

* The Guardian lists Grampian at 14:30-16:00, which seems to be an error.
** Scottish League Cup Final day.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

That wasn't the "God slot", then (at least not in the sense that I understand the term). The "God slot" was the nickname for the formal "closed period" during which BBC1 and ITV were forbidden to broadcast programmes other than those of a religious nature, originally extending from 6.15 to 7.25 on Sunday evenings. In 1977 it was shortened to 35 minutes (6.40 to 7.15), and it was abolished in 1992. Of course broadcasters could show religious programmes in other slots as well.

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

Mark wrote:There were one or two trails ( of a sort) at the end of a couple of episodes of the first "Tomorrow People" serial, "The Slaves Of Jedikiah", they exist on the recordings at the end of the episodes, as they were there to pad out the episode durations.

There was a lengthy one at the start of series 2, leading in to the first episode of "The Blue And The Green", it showed clips from the forthcoming serials and was narrated by Phillip Gilbert (TIM) doesn't seem to survive though, and I have never seen it mentioned anywhere.
There was a trailer at the end of The Blue And The Green" for "A Rift in Time", and one after the end of the first episode of that serial. Both exist on home audio recordings, but I have never seen a video copy of either.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brock wrote:That wasn't the "God slot", then (at least not in the sense that I understand the term). The "God slot" was the nickname for the formal "closed period" during which BBC1 and ITV were forbidden to broadcast programmes other than those of a religious nature, originally extending from 6.15 to 7.25 on Sunday evenings. In 1977 it was shortened to 35 minutes (6.40 to 7.15), and it was abolished in 1992. Of course broadcasters could show religious programmes in other slots as well.
On earlier than I remembered then ( according to Nick's schedules.) presumably to distance it from the 'God Slot' and avoid complaints.

I'm sure "Highway" was on late afternoon sometimes, perhaps later in it's run.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

JezR wrote:
Mark wrote:There were one or two trails ( of a sort) at the end of a couple of episodes of the first "Tomorrow People" serial, "The Slaves Of Jedikiah", they exist on the recordings at the end of the episodes, as they were there to pad out the episode durations.

There was a trailer at the end of The Blue And The Green" for "A Rift in Time", and one after the end of the first episode of that serial. Both exist on home audio recordings, but I have never seen a video copy of either.
I used to Audio record "TP" as well ( that's why I know about the long trail before "The Blue And The Green") but must have forgotten those ones you mention, I'm sure they are on my tapes, although I sometimes switched off straight after the closing titles of programmes I recorded and missed stuff I wished I had done now.

That happened with episode 1 of the "Who" serial", "Underworld", switched off as soon as it finished, and missed a trail for the first series of "Blakes 7".

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Did you find the trailers on the tapes? Would love to hear them.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

ArchiveTvfan43 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:04 pm
Did you find the trailers on the tapes? Would love to hear them.
This board doesn't promote trading in any form. I really think you may be better off on Kaleidoscopes Facebook page.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

No I'm not thinking about trading. Just sharing the audio with others.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

No I didn't come here to trade anything. I just wanted to chat to others about archive TV and to see if anyone had posted anything interesting. I was meaning if they found the trailers they could post the audio on YouTube so others can hear. Like the ace of wands audio that is on YouTube. I didn't know sorry.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

The board is not for trading (free exchange or selling in full, part or kind), nor is it a place to post links to video sharing sites of any descriptions (torrents, YouTube etc.) unless the material linked to is uploaded by the copyright holder i.e. an official channel.

I'm not sure if you've bothered to read back through threads on the board before signing up - if you had I think you would have got some idea of what The Mausoleum Club is about, information and discussion, usually very detailed and accurate. If that is what you are after, you are very welcome. If not, there are other groups and organisations that might be closer to what you want.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Ok I will stop asking about trading. and I will continue to discuss only archive television. I didn't mean to cause trouble on this forum. You are right I should have read the rules. I'll try elsewhere online in regards to enquiring about audio recordings.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Also I have signed up for the missing episodes forum but have still to have my account activated as of yet