The Starlost (1973-74) Canadian Sci-Fi

What's not currently on the box
cdnbob
625 lines

The Starlost (1973-74) Canadian Sci-Fi

Post by cdnbob »

Just wondering if the 1973-74 Canadian sci-fi series "The Starlost" starring Kier Dullea, Gay Rowan and Robin Ward ever aired in the UK? If so, does anyone have any details, or info, on this? I know the show is generally thought of as one of the worse SF series of all time, but having just watched the entire series, it's not as bad as reputation would have it.

Kieran Seymour
405 lines

Re: The Starlost (1973-74) Canadian Sci-Fi

Post by Kieran Seymour »

Some of the compilations were certainly shown in the 1990s. In fact, I've got the original Radio Times listing for one of them right here.

Anyway, while I was listening to the football I did some digging through the Times archive for some dates. That's a way of saying I was totally bogged down in what I was meant to be doing, so I'll happily do anything else instead!

1 June 1991
Afternoon Cinema: The Alien Oro
1625 - 1800
Lifestyle (satellite and cable channel)

9 September 1992
Starlost - The Return
0015 - 0210
ITV (Border / Granada / TSW / Tyne Tees / Ulster)

24 September 1992
Starlost - The Return
0320 - 0515
ITV (Central)

7 January 1993
Starlost - Deception
0035 - 0220
ITV (Anglia / Border / Granada / Westcountry)

27 February 1995
Starlost - Deception
0220 - 0405
ITV (LWT)

And I know some of them turned up again in the 2000s on some of the more obscure satellite chanels. I've got a feeling the series proper might have been shown over here on the Sci-Fi Channel a few years after the ITV screenings, but I can't get at my back issues of Cult Times to have a look just now.

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

While we're on the subject:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3523

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

Kieran Seymour wrote:Some of the compilations were certainly shown in the 1990s. In fact, I've got the original Radio Times listing for one of them right here.

Anyway, while I was listening to the football I did some digging through the Times archive for some dates. That's a way of saying I was totally bogged down in what I was meant to be doing, so I'll happily do anything else instead!

1 June 1991
Afternoon Cinema: The Alien Oro
1625 - 1800
Lifestyle (satellite and cable channel)

9 September 1992
Starlost - The Return
0015 - 0210
ITV (Border / Granada / TSW / Tyne Tees / Ulster)

24 September 1992
Starlost - The Return
0320 - 0515
ITV (Central)

7 January 1993
Starlost - Deception
0035 - 0220
ITV (Anglia / Border / Granada / Westcountry)

27 February 1995
Starlost - Deception
0220 - 0405
ITV (LWT)

And I know some of them turned up again in the 2000s on some of the more obscure satellite chanels. I've got a feeling the series proper might have been shown over here on the Sci-Fi Channel a few years after the ITV screenings, but I can't get at my back issues of Cult Times to have a look just now.
Thanks for the info Kieran. Slightly O/T, I know in Canada over the years we've had dozens of British series broadcast here, but I've often wondered if many Canadian series have aired over there.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

DR. SIMON LOCKE was used as filler by various ITV regions, and HTV ran THE BEACHCOMBERS in a children's slot.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

ian b wrote:DR. SIMON LOCKE was used as filler by various ITV regions, and HTV ran THE BEACHCOMBERS in a children's slot.
I remember 'The Beachcombers', so presumably Tyne Tees showed it.

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

Our itv regions were Anglia, atv and Yorkshire and the canadian shows i remember are R.C.M.P. Adventures in rainbow country, Galloping gourmet, The collabarators and a very hard hitting series on BBC primetime called Woycek starring John Vernon as a coroner parts of which i vividly remember even if if i have miss-spelt the title.
Didnt Simon locke morph in to police surgeon or the other way around?

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

Wow, I had no idea the BBC showed Woyjeck. I'd love to see it some time - it sounds fascinating. Dr Simon Locke did indeed morph into Police Surgeon, apparently after co-star Jack Albertson quit, appalled at the cheapness of the production.

I remember watching Beachcombers on Yorkshire Television in the late 70's (IIRC). I had no idea the show ran for so long - I thought Beachcombers ran for about two series and in fact it lasted about two decades!

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

One of the things i miss is the regional variations and the "fillers" they all used, Beachcombers would pop up daytimes in holiday slots, teatmes in kiddies schedule and Simon locke all over the place but never primetime.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

Thanks for the info all. Much appreciated.

It's actually Wojek, and interesting to know that both it and Dr. Simon Locke were shown in the UK.

Wojek was made by the CBC and I believe, and I'm going by memory here, Locke was made by the CTV. I remember seeing Dr. Simon Locke/Police Surgeon as a kid/teenager and yeah, I think even then it was considered kind of bad. Don't recall the original Wojek airings but have seen it on various repeats. I think the last time it was repeated here was in the early 90s.

Everyone in Canada above the age of 40 would be familiar with The Beachcombers as it ran for 18 years and practically ran as long in reruns. In 2002 there was an attempt by Jackson Davies who played Constable Constable in the original series to bring the series back, but the project didn't really proceed any further than a 2 hour pilot movie. The original series currently airs on APTN (Aboriginal Peoples Television Network).

The RCMP show was called The RCMP, and I do remember The Adventures in Rainbow Country (I remember watching it weekday afternoons in the 60s.) I loved The Galloping Gourmet with Graham Kerr as a kid. He was so OTT and campy. In the 80s, he gave up drinking and became a born again Christian. I think he tried a comeback with a new version of the show in the 80s as well and it didn't work. Apparently now he lives in Washington state in the USA.

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

Currently in the UK we have screenings of the 1957 Anglo-Canadian co-production Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans, in which almost every actor in Canada seems to have appeared in at least three times. John Vernon as a native American is quite a sight!

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Ian Fryer wrote:Currently in the UK we have screenings of the 1957 Anglo-Canadian co-production Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans, in which almost every actor in Canada seems to have appeared in at least three times. John Vernon as a native American is quite a sight!
Wow, I'm amazed that something that old can still get a repeat!

PS Every Canadian actor, except William Shatner (and Patrick Macnee).
This is nøt å signåture.™

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Macnee is as Canadian as Hughie Green!

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

To be fair, I wrote 'every actor in Canada', which would discount Shatner, who had moved to the US by then, but include Macnee who was acting in both the US and Canada at this point.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Hughie Green was born in Marylebone, and Patrick Macnee in Paddington.
They were both Greats. One Central, one Western!