"Library Music"

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

"Library Music"

Post by Mark »

I have been trying to work out some of the Library Tracks used in "The Tomorrow People", a great many were taken from the 1969 LP "Electronic" ( Derbyshire, Vorhaus, Hodgson) and many of the tracks were re-issued on the "Music From The Tomorrow People" CD.

"Gothic Submarine" was the background sound to the TP's Lab, for instance.

But I was looking for the track accompanying the pre-titles sequence for "The Medusa Strain", with Jedikiah floating through space, it was also used as the theme music for the Italian film "Cosmos: War Of The Planets", and I discovered it's from a 1970 album "Electronic Age", from F.C Judd, the track is "Suspended Motion", also on the album is "Atoms In Action", the background sound to Rabowski's ship.

One piece that is still alluding me is the track used in "Slaves Of Jedikiah", for Ginge and Lefty on their Bikes, and also in "Worlds Away" for the lengthy chase sequence, it's a great piece of music too.

Also looking for the track of the Dream sequence, in the opening of "A Rift In Time".
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Mark »

Found one of them!...the "Rift In Time" dream sequence music is "Songs Of The Wire" on the 1972 KPM album "Electrosound" ( Ron Geesin).

Also, the following track is "Industrial Jungle", used in "Slaves Of Jedikiah", there is also a track called "U.F.O", which I have heard in something ("TTP" possibly) but am not sure, still trying to find that ellusive "Slaves/Worlds" one though.

The theme to "Orlando" is the "The Hell Raisers" from Syd Dale, which it turns out was used a couple of years later as Incidentals in the animated 67 series "Spiderman"...!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

boblet
405 lines
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:51 pm

Re: "Library Music"

Post by boblet »

Mark wrote:One piece that is still alluding me is the track used in "Slaves Of Jedikiah", for Ginge and Lefty on their Bikes, and also in "Worlds Away" for the lengthy chase sequence, it's a great piece of music too.
I recently discovered that in "Slaves" the sequence of Stephen being very slowly taken to hospital is accompanied by "Industrial Activity" by Eric Peters from the KPM 1000 disc "Electromusic". Is that what you're thinking of?

Non-TP related but "Superformance" by David Lindup from KPM's "Impact and Action" LP is the theme to Monty Python's spoof thriller "The Bishop".

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Mark »

boblet wrote:
Mark wrote:One piece that is still alluding me is the track used in "Slaves Of Jedikiah", for Ginge and Lefty on their Bikes, and also in "Worlds Away" for the lengthy chase sequence, it's a great piece of music too.
I recently discovered that in "Slaves" the sequence of Stephen being very slowly taken to hospital is accompanied by "Industrial Activity" by Eric Peters from the KPM 1000 disc "Electromusic". Is that what you're thinking of?

Non-TP related but "Superformance" by David Lindup from KPM's "Impact and Action" LP is the theme to Monty Python's spoof thriller "The Bishop".
WOW!...that's the one, "Industrial Activity", then, I have been looking for that one for years, nice work, thanks a million!

It's a great piece of music, they were very clever in their choices of library tracks for the series, they always fitted the visuals perfectly, and gave the show it's own musical identity.

I also noticed another track from Eric Peters ( whilst looking that one up) "Static Space" from the same album, I'm pretty sure it was used for the scene when Carol helps Stephen to 'Break out', so that's four albums so far!

The "Python" one is a good call also, it would be interesting to see a list of all the library tracks used on that series as well.

Perhaps famously, the theme to "The Two Ronnies" serial, "Stop You're Killing Me" (1977) was "The Detectives" from "The Hanged Man" album, and they also used the slow version of the track from the end of the album.

In Andrew Pixley's booklet for "Ace Of Wands", he lists one haunting track from "Sisters Deadly" as "Visions Of 2000AD" (Ivor Raymond), which was released on a Studio G CD called G-Spots, a few years ago.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

fatcat
D-MAC
Posts: 831
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:02 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by fatcat »

boblet wrote: Non-TP related but "Superformance" by David Lindup from KPM's "Impact and Action" LP is the theme to Monty Python's spoof thriller "The Bishop".

... and even less TP related, Superformance was also used as the theme tune to the crime drama show The Informer

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Mark »

fatcat wrote:
boblet wrote: Non-TP related but "Superformance" by David Lindup from KPM's "Impact and Action" LP is the theme to Monty Python's spoof thriller "The Bishop".

... and even less TP related, Superformance was also used as the theme tune to the crime drama show The Informer
David Lindup also contributes to the animated "Spiderman" series, with various tracks.

Mention of "Riviera Police" on another thread, reminded me that one track used in the series later became the theme to "Callan".

Music from Les Structures Sonores ( as used in two "Who's, "The Web Planet" and "Galaxy 4") turned up in "The Lotus Eaters" and the short Trade Test Film, "Evoluon", which was made up of a whole list of library cues.

Some more of those tracks on Electromusic ( Eric Peters) turn up in "The Tomorrow People", "Electrofear", "Occult" and "Space Movement" from "The Slaves Of Jedikiah" and "Psycho Music" in "The Vanishing Earth"
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Ian Fryer
405 lines
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:43 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Ian Fryer »

Hopefully this thread can keep running as a general resource for people wanting to know the details of library music from classic TV shows.

I'm currently trying to track down the theme from the 1968/9 Australian series Woobinda, Animal Doctor. It has a very Syd Dale sound about it, and would love to know the track details. Also some good CDs with library tracks on (some of us still buy discs from time to time!).

User avatar
doubleM
625 lines
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: "Library Music"

Post by doubleM »

Ian Fryer wrote:Hopefully this thread can keep running as a general resource for people wanting to know the details of library music from classic TV shows.
An excellent idea.

As there is another currently active thread concerning the Brian Clemens 'Thriller' series, there are a few remaining unidentified library music tracks featured in the movie version titles of that series that readers here may recognise. See the following link, with the opportunity to listen to the unknown pieces.

Can anyone can help? Would be good to fill the final few gaps.

Library Music for THRILLER movie titles
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Mark »

Yes, that's why I used the general term, "Library Music", even though I was ( and still am) looking for "TTP" cues, am also interested in cues used on any series, for incidentals or themes ( trying to find more info on the two "Pardon My Genie" themes for instance) .

Will give those "Thriller" cues a listen, an intriguing one.

The "Woobinda" theme was specially composed I think, from Sven Libaek, on the album, 'This Day Tonight and other Australian Themes', did the theme for "Boney" as well.

There must be a market for decent Library music CD's, the only ones I can think of are the excellent sets for "The Sweeney", "The Tomorrow People" one ( which was good but basically just most of the 1969 'Electronic' album re-released) and there are so many more cues from that series, also a "Doctor Who" CD, 'Space Adventures.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Ian Fryer
405 lines
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:43 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Ian Fryer »

Mark wrote:

The "Woobinda" theme was specially composed I think, from Sven Libaek, on the album, 'This Day Tonight and other Australian Themes', did the theme for "Boney" as well.
Thank you Mark, that's incredibly helpful. Although the This Day Tonight album has never had a CD release, original release vinyl copies are available via Australia. I just need to decide if I want to pay £32 including shipping to the UK.

On a related note, insomnia last night led me to watch another classic Australian children's TV show from the sixties, The Magic Boomerang. During the climax to the episode the theme tune to the 1960s British ABC series Redcap turned up on the soundtrack.

Left Field
405 lines
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Left Field »

doubleM wrote:
Ian Fryer wrote:Hopefully this thread can keep running as a general resource for people wanting to know the details of library music from classic TV shows.
An excellent idea.

As there is another currently active thread concerning the Brian Clemens 'Thriller' series, there are a few remaining unidentified library music tracks featured in the movie version titles of that series that readers here may recognise. See the following link, with the opportunity to listen to the unknown pieces.

Can anyone can help? Would be good to fill the final few gaps.

Library Music for THRILLER movie titles
The movie versions of Thriller are much maligned but there is a lot of excellent music heard on the titles. Obviously I'd heard library music in shows before but I think it was the music in these movie versions with the artists / pieces identified which really seized my imagination and got me interested in the genre in general. Some of my favourite pieces are still unknown such as the music accompanying "Once the Killing Starts", "In the Steps of a Dead Man", "File It Under Fear" and the end music for "I'm the Girl He Wants To Kill". On that list there also doesn't seem to be mention of the atonal piano piece playing on the end titles of "Melody of Hate" which I also really like (the music, not the rather uninspired episode although it did capture my interest in Mozart arias which are heard therein).

On a broader front, anyone looking for CD's can look for almost anything on the KPM, Bruton or De Wolfe labels. There aren't many discs but there are some - Vocalion have released some fine library compilations. A very good place to start with Vocalion is Brian Bennett's "Drama Montage" CD which contains many pieces heard on many shows. There are quite a lot of KPM albums / tracks that can be bought on download from Amazon or elsewhere and these provide a wider selection. Unfortunately less is available from other library labels - my guess is that some of these unidentified Thriller movie tracks are from De Wolfe or Bruton but maybe elsewhere.

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Mark »

Ian Fryer wrote:
Mark wrote:

The "Woobinda" theme was specially composed I think, from Sven Libaek, on the album, 'This Day Tonight and other Australian Themes', did the theme for "Boney" as well.
Thank you Mark, that's incredibly helpful. Although the This Day Tonight album has never had a CD release, original release vinyl copies are available via Australia. I just need to decide if I want to pay £32 including shipping to the UK.

On a related note, insomnia last night led me to watch another classic Australian children's TV show from the sixties, The Magic Boomerang. During the climax to the episode the theme tune to the 1960s British ABC series Redcap turned up on the soundtrack.
Interesting, they do turn up in some odd places.

Another one I'm looking for is the theme to ATV's "Crime Buster", don't know the name, but it's was supposed to have been used for the theme to "Skayn" in "Zokko".
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Mark »

Not identified any of the "Thriller" ones yet, although "Dial A Deadly Number" sounds a bit like Raymond Jones's style.

Found a KPM album with some of Jones tracks, 16-21 LP, but it's not one of them, although there is a track on it called 'High Tension' by Derrick Mason used in the first series of "Freewheelers".

Forgot to mention earlier in the thread, another compilation CD, this time of De Wolfe tracks used for Themes called 'Top Dog'.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
doubleM
625 lines
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: "Library Music"

Post by doubleM »

Left Field wrote: Some of my favourite pieces are still unknown such as the music accompanying "Once the Killing Starts", "In the Steps of a Dead Man", "File It Under Fear" and the end music for "I'm the Girl He Wants To Kill".
I'm wondering if the music heard on the movie titles for 'In the Steps of a Dead Man' actually had a 'military' theme or even title, or whether the effect was achieved just by overlaying the sound effects including the sound of shelling?

I believe Bruton Music was created as a subsidiary company within the ATV group c1977, though I can't seem to find my source of reference at the moment. Not too surprising it was used for so many of the THRILLER movie titles which were produced for ITC New York from 1978 onwards. Apart from them, KPM and DeWolfe some smaller or subsidiary labels - Sylvester, Hudson and Themes International were also sourced.

Tis a pity any official paperwork for the movie version music I suspect will be long gone. I wonder if anyone who worked on them might have kept personal copies? All done in the US of course, so no-one who worked at Elstree.
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

Left Field
405 lines
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Left Field »

What is odd about these "unknown " Thriller movie tracks is I can't (with one exception) recall hearing them in any other show and they are so memorable for me I would definitely recognise them if I heard them elsewhere. The one bizarre exception was hearing the music used in "Dial a Deadly Number" accompanying a horror-style sketch on an episode of the Scottish comedy Naked Video! I don't know if anyone has heard any of these "unknowns" on other productions. Not hearing them elsewhere might suggest they've come from an unusual, more obscure source.

Simon Mclean
405 lines
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:58 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Simon Mclean »

Ian Fryer wrote:Thank you Mark, that's incredibly helpful. Although the This Day Tonight album has never had a CD release, original release vinyl copies are available via Australia. I just need to decide if I want to pay £32 including shipping to the UK.
I managed to find a copy in Guildford, with a message on the back written by the previous owner that he bought it to remind himself of happy times in Australia in 1968, which I thought was rather nice.

For what it's worth, the version of Woobinda on there is quite different to the TV version (which was by Graeme Lyall, incidentally) - Sven turns slows it down and turns it into something a bit sliniker with more flute and no brass, but I really like it!

Simon Mclean
405 lines
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:58 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Simon Mclean »

Mark wrote:Mention of "Riviera Police" on another thread, reminded me that one track used in the series later became the theme to "Callan".
The Callan theme was subject to a plagiarism suit in the 70s due to its marked similarity to an Armando Sciascia piece called 'Sogno Nostalgico' - I suspect it's 'Sogno Nostalgico' that turns up in 'Riviera Police', though (as the judge agreed) you'd be very hard pushed to tell them apart.

I think it turns up in an episode of The Rat Catchers as well, doesn't it?

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Mark »

Simon Mclean wrote:
Ian Fryer wrote:Thank you Mark, that's incredibly helpful. Although the This Day Tonight album has never had a CD release, original release vinyl copies are available via Australia. I just need to decide if I want to pay £32 including shipping to the UK.
I managed to find a copy in Guildford, with a message on the back written by the previous owner that he bought it to remind himself of happy times in Australia in 1968, which I thought was rather nice.

For what it's worth, the version of Woobinda on there is quite different to the TV version (which was by Graeme Lyall, incidentally) - Sven turns slows it down and turns it into something a bit sliniker with more flute and no brass, but I really like it!
So that's an album of covers!, never knew that, nice bit of luck tracking one down.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Mark »

Simon Mclean wrote:
Mark wrote:Mention of "Riviera Police" on another thread, reminded me that one track used in the series later became the theme to "Callan".
The Callan theme was subject to a plagiarism suit in the 70s due to its marked similarity to an Armando Sciascia piece called 'Sogno Nostalgico' - I suspect it's 'Sogno Nostalgico' that turns up in 'Riviera Police', though (as the judge agreed) you'd be very hard pushed to tell them apart.

I think it turns up in an episode of The Rat Catchers as well, doesn't it?
Oh yes, I think that came up once before, it was the first episode of "Riviera Police", and I haven't seen it in over ten years, they do sound strikingly similar, and yes it is supposed to be in a "Rat Catchers" episode, both Rediffusion, , it's possible it's that version, interesting situation though.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
The Wooksta!
405 lines
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Re: "Library Music"

Post by The Wooksta! »

There's an episode of "Special Branch" (I don't recall the title, but it's one of the later ones with George Sewell and this particular episodes stars Geoffrey Bayldon) that uses some of Don Harper's music from the Doctor Who story "The Invasion" . Now I was quite puzzled at the time and it's quite a distinctive sounding piece. However, I discovered the same track on a Don Harper album I purchased from ebay. New Decade, London Studio Group.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1581803- ... ppearances
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

User avatar
Ian Wegg
625 lines
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Ian Wegg »

Simon Mclean wrote:
Mark wrote:Mention of "Riviera Police" on another thread, reminded me that one track used in the series later became the theme to "Callan".
...
I think it turns up in an episode of The Rat Catchers as well, doesn't it?
It can also be heard in episode 1 of Francis Durbridge Presents: Bat Out of Hell (1966).

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Mark »

The Wooksta! wrote:There's an episode of "Special Branch" (I don't recall the title, but it's one of the later ones with George Sewell and this particular episodes stars Geoffrey Bayldon) that uses some of Don Harper's music from the Doctor Who story "The Invasion" . Now I was quite puzzled at the time and it's quite a distinctive sounding piece. However, I discovered the same track on a Don Harper album I purchased from ebay. New Decade, London Studio Group.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1581803- ... ppearances
Didn't know about the "Special Branch" one, will have to check it out.

Didn't some of Harpers "Invasion" music crop up in "Dawn Of The Dead"?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Mark »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Simon Mclean wrote:
Mark wrote:Mention of "Riviera Police" on another thread, reminded me that one track used in the series later became the theme to "Callan".
...
I think it turns up in an episode of The Rat Catchers as well, doesn't it?
It can also be heard in episode 1 of Francis Durbridge Presents: Bat Out of Hell (1966).
So that's three so far, then, could hold the record for being used the most before the show it became famous for.!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
The Wooksta!
405 lines
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Re: "Library Music"

Post by The Wooksta! »

Mark wrote:
The Wooksta! wrote:There's an episode of "Special Branch" (I don't recall the title, but it's one of the later ones with George Sewell and this particular episodes stars Geoffrey Bayldon) that uses some of Don Harper's music from the Doctor Who story "The Invasion" . Now I was quite puzzled at the time and it's quite a distinctive sounding piece. However, I discovered the same track on a Don Harper album I purchased from ebay. New Decade, London Studio Group.

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1581803- ... ppearances
Didn't know about the "Special Branch" one, will have to check it out.

Didn't some of Harpers "Invasion" music crop up in "Dawn Of The Dead"?
Some of the tracks on that album are supposedly from "Dawn of the Dead" and the whole album is on the tube of you.

The Special Branch episode is "All the King's Men"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0706475/pl ... _=tt_ov_pl
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Mark »

Gold screened a couple of (Edited) "Tommy Cooper Hour" editions late Wed night, and one specially created piece of music in one sketch was yet another variation of the "Callan" theme.!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

User avatar
Razor Eddie
625 lines
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:37 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Razor Eddie »

Mark wrote:Perhaps famously, the theme to "The Two Ronnies" serial, "Stop You're Killing Me" (1977) was "The Detectives" from "The Hanged Man" album...
Which of course was the soundtrack album for the TV series of the same name....
Contents may settle after packing.

Callan | The Hanged Man | Turtle's Progress | Kiwi TV

Mark
Committee
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:26 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Mark »

Razor Eddie wrote:[quote="Mark"Perhaps famously, the theme to "The Two Ronnies" serial, "Stop You're Killing Me" (1977) was "The Detectives" from "The Hanged Man" album...
Which of course was the soundtrack album for the TV series of the same name....[/quote]

Indeed,, and very good album it is too, The Two Rons also used the slow version from the album.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

TonyCurrie
625 lines
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:19 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by TonyCurrie »

I've released a few compilations of Library music on CD over the years on the Recur label and more recently as downloads/Spotify on the Lounge Music label; and my friend Steven Wills has compiled a plethora of excellent releases in aid of both Winchester Hospital Radio and more recently Chichester Hospital Radio, including a 10" vinyl of classic TV Themes from and on the de Wolfe label for record Store Day. There's masses of library music out there if you know where to look!

Brock
HD
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 am

Re: "Library Music"

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:The Two Rons also used the slow version from the album.
Weren't "The Two Rons" those stone-faced nightclub bouncer characters played by Hale and Pace?

Post Reply