Thames TV

What's not currently on the box
swills
405 lines

Re: Thames TV

Post by swills »

With TPTV getting stronger by the day, maybe they could, well maybe once a week, have a 'retro' night, they have so much Thames and Southern stuff now, and more, they could do an evening like we used to enjoy, only thing that may not work would be the in vision announcers ?

yellowtriumph
405 lines

Post by yellowtriumph »

I’m sure Christopher Robbie would be up for it.

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

It's a decent joke, but Thames would have kept its franchise had it submitted a better financial bid and not assumed that any challengers would be disqualified for failing to be good enough 'quality'.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

they'd dumped the classic ident years before 1992. Times change and even Thames had to change with them.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

paul.austin wrote:Too bad they were foolish enough to upset Thatcher.
Oh No! You've done it again!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

yellowtriumph wrote:I’m sure Christopher Robbie would be up for it.
Dressed as The Karkus would be interesting, although Phillip Elsmore would also be good.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

Lets put the idea to TPTV ! :-) (even a one off 'TV' day) !

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

swills wrote:
Nice idea, but what about the studio, they would have to build another shed in the garden!

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

Mark wrote:
swills wrote:
Nice idea, but what about the studio, they would have to build another shed in the garden!
Well, they do the interviews with the stars of the films and tv they show, so could be a pre-record type ? think live in vision maybe a tad difficult ?

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

The Cinema Museum would be a place to record it, if they were doing an interview on that day.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Should be done properly though... announcer sitting in front of a scenery flat with TPTV on it!

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

The thing is, though, the things you all remember and love about Thames... in-vision continuity... the classic ident... had all been dumped by Thames long before they lost their franchise.

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

paul.austin wrote:The thing is, though, the things you all remember and love about Thames... in-vision continuity... the classic ident... had all been dumped by Thames long before they lost their franchise.
Indeed it had, as did the rest, but that does not prevent us wishing and hoping ! :-) and I am sure at the time the programmes that TPTV have, were at a time of in vision etc ?

and did anyone see the original B&W ident a few nights ago on Ep 1 S1 of Father Dear Father ? :-)

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

Imagine if "Crapton" had succeeded in buying Thames in 1985 as they had wanted?

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

B&W Series 1 of Bless this House will be on Forces TV in September.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It was only a matter of time!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Something I had forgotten until I saw it recently, but in the "Father Dear Father" episode "The Life Of The Party", Natasha Pyne wears the same dress ( albeit a different colour) as Judy Loe in the "Ace Of Wands" serial "Nightmare Gas".

Made and transmitted roughly at the same time, co-incidence?, or the same costume designer picking them from somewhere like Biba.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

see how the American narrator in this Benny Hill bio-video mispronounces the "Thames" in Thames Television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOGnr_LgS6Q

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Is that narrator a real person? The intonation is odd.

Benny Hill certainly owned a car; a Jaguar Mk.IX. It regularly appeared in adverts for Turtle Wax.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Does sound odd, but could be a real person though.

A release of his BBC work is well overdue.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

I'm not sure. It could be an automated American voice speaking an English transcript. I noticed Benny's date of birth was given in the non-US format which is very unusual for an American.

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Mark wrote:A release of his BBC work is well overdue.
There's a good R1 compilation from BBC America, Benny Hill: The Lost Years. Personally, I found it much better than what I've seen of his copious Thames material.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

Remember how Benny Hill was laid into by Ben Elton - likened to an elderly uncle being bashed up by a young thug?

Fortunately its not the eighties anymore and Rik Mayall is dead.

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

paul.austin wrote:Fortunately [...] Rik Mayall is dead.
That seems rather callous.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Billy Smart wrote:
There's a good R1 compilation from BBC America, Benny Hill: The Lost Years. Personally, I found it much better than what I've seen of his copious Thames material.
His BBC shows were excellent, and showed what a clever entertainer he was, ( although I do also like his Thames shows), his radio series "Benny Hill Time" is also very good.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:
Billy Smart wrote:
His BBC shows were excellent, and showed what a clever entertainer he was, ( although I do also like his Thames shows), his radio series "Benny Hill Time" is also very good.
...and not forgetting his ATV material - the Christmas 67 special
...and the curiosity of seeing Annette Andre as his stooge in the mid Atlantic show 'Spotlight'

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes would like to see the 67 special, but something stopped it's release by Network.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Caught my favourite episode of "For The Love Of Ada" last Sunday, S4E1 about the Ghost.

There is a scene with Barbara Mitchell in bed and Jack Smethurst sat on it beside her, at one point there is a close-up of him as he replies to her, and I am positive it's a VT insert.

Jack Smethurst probably blew his line, and he did it again at the end of the show, possibly after the audience had gone.

I love spotting things like that.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Mark wrote: Jack Smethurst probably blew his line, and he did it again at the end of the show, possibly after the audience had gone.
In my one experience of attending the recording of a sitcom - Tom, Dick & Harriet at Thames in 1982 - the audience remained present for the re-recordings at the end and we all had to laugh in the same places.

I recall one scene where Lionel Jeffries had to pick up an LP by the band Police and say "They don't look like policemen" then blow smoke at it from his cigar. It had to be done about a dozen times because he couldn't get enough cigar smoke. I thought it was great fun and strangely the line became funnier each time he did it!

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

paul.austin wrote:see how the American narrator in this Benny Hill bio-video mispronounces the "Thames" in Thames Television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOGnr_LgS6Q
I saw a video a while back where an american was watching and commenting an old Thames programme and pronounced it 'Fames'