Actors appearances in commercials

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

Actors appearances in commercials

Post by Mark »

I was looking at some of the many commercials for After Eight mints over the years, and had forgotten some of the familiar faces that popped up in them, including Adrienne Corri, Alexandra Bastedo, and in one which must be early 70's, Michael MacKenzie and Liza Goddard.

Also spotted Nick Young ( John in "The Tomorrow People") in a 79 ad for Breakaway, which I do remember, there's also other appearances in ads with Carol Hawkins, and of course, Madeline Smith in that somewhat frowned upon ad from 76.

Always a nice surprise, when you get that 'look who it is' moment.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Private Frazer
625 lines

Re: Actors appearances in commercials

Post by Private Frazer »

William Franklyn in adverts for Schweppes and Gareth Hunt for Nescafe comes to mind.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

It strikes me there are three categories.

Actors who made an advert or two early in their careers and went on to greater fame, the ones that turn up on those Before They Were Famous shows. Ross Kemp and Angus Deayton come immediately to mind.

Then there are the famous personalities cashing in on their celebrity status. The ones like Tony Hancock who made your parents tut and declare "well he's certainly come down a bit".

And thirdly there are the actors for whom commercials are part of their normal work, along with theatre and supporting roles in film and TV. The actors you recognise but whose names you either don't know or can't remember. You see them, for instance, in an advert for Halls Mentolyptus or United chocolate biscuits and then spot them sometime later in an old episode of The Saint. These are my favourites.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, I agree with you there, different categories.

The two that Private Frazer mentioned, are in the celebrity category, Franklyn's ads were through his series, "Top Secret", and Nescafe used various well known faces, aside from Gareth Hunt, there was Diane Keen and Peter Davison, amongst others.

As a fan of the various "Doctor" series, there's a late 70's car ad with Robin Nedwell and Geoffrey Davies.

The Hancock Egg ads, mentioned, were very amusing and there's an equally funny 60's ad with Benny Hill and Patricia Hayes, having a picnic ( with a lovely view of a gasometer) promoting Schweppes bitter lemon.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I always thought there was something distinctly 'off' when well-known newsreaders took on advertising.
Something a little bit sinister, even.

The Lurker In The Shadows
405 lines

Post by The Lurker In The Shadows »

Mark wrote: As a fan of the various "Doctor" series, there's a late 70's car ad with Robin Nedwell and Geoffrey Davies.
With voice-over by George Layton, just to add to the "Doctor" credentials.

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

There was a marvellous set of Benson and Hedged cinema ads in the 1970's (advertising cigs being long banned on tv by then). Most famous was Spike Milligan and Peter Sellers robbing a bank in Malta but others were actually better.

My favourite features Willoughby Goddard being out-cheated at poker by Edward Woodward. Another good one was James Villiers inventively robbing a jewellers shop.

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

My favourite B&H advert was the send up of Zulu with John Bird.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Brian F wrote:My favourite B&H advert was the send up of Zulu with John Bird.
Oh! John BIRD.
I wondered why a Director General of the BBC would be involved with advertising!

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

Actually that one is for Silk Cut. There's another one in that series sending up WW2 prisoner of war movies featuring Jack Hedley, Bruce Boa and Patrick Ryecart.

Both ads looked really expensive - must have cost as much as some British feature films of the period.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Ian Fryer wrote:
Actually that one is for Silk Cut.
As an aside, it always amuses me how often people mistakenly associate advertisements with a rival product. I've read that the Leonard Rossiter/Joan Collins Cinzano advertisements increased sales of Martini as much as Cinzano.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Brock wrote:As an aside, it always amuses me how often people mistakenly associate advertisements with a rival product. I've read that the Leonard Rossiter/Joan Collins Cinzano advertisements increased sales of Martini as much as Cinzano.
I was on a training course once where we were asked if we were aware of the Bernard Miles advert with the slogan: "It looks good, it tastes good and, by golly, it does you good". Most of us knew it (this was 1975) but when asked what product the commercial was for, all but two of us answered "Guinness". Apparently, that was also the general view of the public which is why Mackeson no longer advertise.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

I used to like this early 90s Fosters lager advert with Barry Bostwick. I think the bartender was also in the early Jonathan Creek episodes too?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Ian Wegg wrote: I was on a training course once where we were asked if we were aware of the Bernard Miles advert with the slogan: "It looks good, it tastes good and, by golly, it does you good". Most of us knew it (this was 1975) but when asked what product the commercial was for, all but two of us answered "Guinness". Apparently, that was also the general view of the public which is why Mackeson no longer advertise.
Didn't they change it to "...by golly it is good"? I think that may have been because of rules that forbade the association of alcohol with health-giving properties though.

Even when the name of the product is in the strapline, people can get it wrong. My father thought the Milk Tray slogan was "And all because the lady loves Black Magic".

It's stuff like this that makes me wonder why companies spend so much money on advertising. The advertising industry seems to think that the aim is to get viewers to remember the advertisement rather than the product.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Ian Wegg wrote:...

Then there are the famous personalities cashing in on their celebrity status. The ones like Tony Hancock who made your parents tut and declare "well he's certainly come down a bit"...
There are also the adverts cashing in on a successful series, of which these spring to mind:
Ian Lavender and Arthur Lowe for Barclays
Steptoe and Son for Kenco coffee &
Don Estelle and Winsor Davies (sort of in character) for Fruit Pastels.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

I remember Patrick MacNee advertising Right Guard deodorant as John Steed, (at least the clothing).

I thought Nicholas Young appeared in an advert for Twix rather than Breakaway? Might be wrong though. It was a long time ago.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

I think Bill Oddie provided the voice of the Toby character in a Topic commercial?

"Topic, a hazelnut in every bite, I remember".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes it was Twix with Nick Young, must be that product mix up syndrome, previously mentioned, or maybe I just preferred Breakaway, and how could I forget George Layton's VO on the Nedwell/Davies ad.

Talking of comedians, ( Hancock and Hill), there's that great Texaco ad with Morecambe and Wise ( plus James Hunt) and a Guinness ad with Pete and Dud.

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

Ian Fryer wrote:
Actually that one is for Silk Cut. There's another one in that series sending up WW2 prisoner of war movies featuring Jack Hedley, Bruce Boa and Patrick Ryecart.

Both ads looked really expensive - must have cost as much as some British feature films of the period.
Silk Cut was made by Benson & Hedges. It has the line "These 2 gentlemen from de Benson & Hedges fag company...." I have a copy of it on Super 8 film.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

Terry Scott - Cadbury's Curly Wurly

Tom Baker & Lalla Ward - PR1ME Computers

Paul Hogan - Fosters beer

Mike Grady - Pepsi

June Whitfield - Birds Eye chicken pie (the Pinocchio nose one)

Jan Francis & Paul Nicholas - Cadbury's Wispa

Lorraine Chase - Campari (can't ever hear the words Luton Airport without thinking of it!)

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

Mark wrote:Yes it was Twix with Nick Young, must be that product mix up syndrome, previously mentioned, or maybe I just preferred Breakaway, and how could I forget George Layton's VO on the Nedwell/Davies ad.

Talking of comedians, ( Hancock and Hill), there's that great Texaco ad with Morecambe and Wise ( plus James Hunt) and a Guinness ad with Pete and Dud.
Think that's the Guinness/Mackeson confusion in action again. Peter Cook advertised Mackeson in character as E L Wisty. You've got to feel some sympathy for poor old Mackeson!

405 lines

wittoner wrote:
Mark wrote:Yes it was Twix with Nick Young, must be that product mix up syndrome, previously mentioned, or maybe I just preferred Breakaway, and how could I forget George Layton's VO on the Nedwell/Davies ad.

Think that's the Guinness/Mackeson confusion in action again. Peter Cook advertised Mackeson in character as E L Wisty. You've got to feel some sympathy for poor old Mackeson!
Pete and Dud did also do a couple of Guinness Ads, reminiscing about the World Cup and sausage, egg, chips, beans and gravy.

Charles Hawtrey and Leslie Phillips appeared in a Carry On-tinged Heineken ad, with Hawtrey's doctor testing Phillips' reflexes.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

I have fond memories of this Terry's Chocolate orange advert from many moons ago but cannot remember the actor's name! I have always for some reason confused him with Bryan Pringle. Not alike at all but there you go!

405 lines

Don Satchley wrote:I have fond memories of this Terry's Chocolate orange advert from many moons ago but cannot remember the actor's name! I have always for some reason confused him with Bryan Pringle. Not alike at all but there you go!
John Ringham, probably most familiar at the time as Penny's father in 'Just Good Friends'.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Thanks for that, I remember him mainly from that series. The most bizarre celeb endorsement I ever saw was Stallone's Warburton's Bread advert, though in keeping with other observations in this thread until I just looked it up I could have sworn it was Brace's Bread!

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

A few more spring to mind:

Anthony Head - Nescafe Gold Blend coffee
Nanette Newman - Fairy washing-up liquid
Gregor Fisher - Hamlet cigars

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

Brian F wrote:
Ian Fryer wrote:

Silk Cut was made by Benson & Hedges. It has the line "These 2 gentlemen from de Benson & Hedges fag company...." I have a copy of it on Super 8 film.
Benson and Hedges were very brand-consious. For a long time their Hamlet adverts ended with 'The mild cigar from Benson and Hedges'. I reckon it was a way of getting round the television cigarette ban.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Benson & Hedges in the UK was acquired by Gallaher in 1955, so the name "Benson & Hedges" was only ever one of Gallaher's brands since the introduction of commercial TV, not the name of a company. I suspect you're right in suggesting that the Hamlet campaign was intended as a surreptitious way of advertising B & H cigarettes - I remember that it eventually changed to "the mild cigar" alone, so I presume the rules must have been tightened up.

(Incidentally I see that Gallaher has now been acquired by Japan Tobacco.)

Simon Mclean
405 lines

Post by Simon Mclean »

wittoner wrote: Peter Cook advertised Mackeson in character as E L Wisty. You've got to feel some sympathy for poor old Mackeson!
He also appeared as Wisty in a series of ads for Watneys - the soundtracks were released on a flexidisc, but I've never seen the visuals.

ray lomas
405 lines

Post by ray lomas »

spflog1 wrote:
Jan Francis & Paul Nicholas - Cadbury's Wispa
Mel Smith and Peter Cook did one for Wispa too.

Which has just reminded me of the series of Holsten Pils ads from around the same time, with Griff Rhys Jones edited into scenes from classic films.