Actors appearances in commercials

What's not currently on the box
Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Re: Actors appearances in commercials

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Ian Wegg wrote:I was on a training course once where we were asked if we were aware of the Bernard Miles advert with the slogan: "It looks good, it tastes good and, by golly, it does you good". Most of us knew it (this was 1975) but when asked what product the commercial was for, all but two of us answered "Guinness". Apparently, that was also the general view of the public which is why Mackeson no longer advertise.
Presumably the confusion was down to the old "Guinness is good for you" slogan, although I don't know which came first.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Focus II wrote:I remember Patrick MacNee advertising Right Guard deodorant as John Steed, (at least the clothing).
And, ironically, Amplex later repurposed footage from The Avengers. That sort of thing can back-fire, of course. Recall all the "Holsten Pils Productions" adverts, which used footage from various old war movies, intercut with matched footage of Griff Rhys Jones. The films includes Ice Cold in Alex, so Carlsberg simply responded with their own advert featuring the shot from the end of John Mills contemplating a branded glass full of lager, before necking it in one, and declaring, "worth waiting for!".

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

wittoner wrote:Eric Idle tells the story of how John Cleese told him off for doing that advert, saying it was wrong to cash in like that.
Eric was so chastened he turned down an offer from Australia to do a similar advert there.
He then discovered they'd asked Cleese instead and Cleese had agreed to do it!
Cleese also did that Sony Betamax C6 advert: "So simple to use, the cat can operate it."

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

brigham wrote:Rodney Bewes promoted Birds Eye Faggots.
There a Bewes/Birds Eye fish fingers one in Washes Whiter, so he may have been doing the range, rather than just specific products.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Cole wrote:
Focus II wrote:Another from Blake’s 7, although not in character: Stephen Greif did a pizza advert which also coined an oft-used phrase (within my peers anyway) "that's handy, Harry!"
Greif also did a British Telecom advert, which was criticised because his character was "too Jewish." Ironically.

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Ian Wegg wrote:I was on a training course once where we were asked if we were aware of the Bernard Miles advert with the slogan: "It looks good, it tastes good and, by golly, it does you good". Most of us knew it (this was 1975) but when asked what product the commercial was for, all but two of us answered "Guinness". Apparently, that was also the general view of the public which is why Mackeson no longer advertise.
Presumably the confusion was down to the old "Guinness is good for you" slogan, although I don't know which came first.

"Guinness is Good for You" pre-dates the television era. First used as a slogan circa 1930.

Mackeson obviously thought enough time had passed for them to chance a similar line.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Cole wrote:
Focus II wrote:Another from Blake’s 7, although not in character: Stephen Greif did a pizza advert which also coined an oft-used phrase (within my peers anyway) "that's handy, Harry!"
Greif also did a British Telecom advert, which was criticised because his character was "too Jewish." Ironically.
Which has also reminded me of Maureen Lipman ("You got an ology?!? That makes you a scientist") and Miriam Margolees doing British Telecom.

A couple of others that have sprung to mind:

Sid James for Unigate milk during the Humphries campaign. I expect that there are more, such as Mohammed Ali (but he wasn't an actor), but I can't remember any others.

Rik Mayal for Bombardier ale.

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

I was in a pub that still had Rik Mayall-themed bar towels a full year after his death. Felt quite sad. :-(

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Ian Fryer wrote:I was in a pub that still had Rik Mayall-themed bar towels a full year after his death. Felt quite sad. :-(
Must have been a Charles Wells pub, however the brewery did take the large picture they had on their promotional bus off very quickly.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

Richard Briers of course voiced so many commercials over the years.

I don't recall seeing him in person on an advert though.

rosalyn
625 lines

Post by rosalyn »

I will chip in with Julie T. Wallace. Shortly after her remarkable appearance as the 'she devil' in the 80's, she popped up in the Mentos chewy mints ad.

Then there were those infamous Government information films. I will always remember Edward Judd in the 'Think Once...Think Twice...Think Bike!' ones, that also featured Keith Alexander from UFO as the safe driver.

There was one on cycling that had Robert Gillespie as a film director.

One with John Hug from Space 1999 as a lorry driver breaking quarantine laws by taking a dog abroad in his cab.

One with Nick Brimble (Space 1999/The Sweeney), and something to do with electricity and safety.

As for voice overs, the ones I always remember were the Bowyers pies ones with Joss Ackland, David De Keyser telling us headache sufferers that "Nothing acts faster than Anadin", John Le Mesurier with "graded grains make finer flour", and Brian Glover and the Tetley Tea folk.

I also remember umpty Richard Briers ones, as someone else here has said, Keith Barron with "Andrex goes a long, long way", and Ray Brooks, I think, was another ubiquitous voice over.

Happy times. :-)

:-)

gallifreyan
405 lines

Post by gallifreyan »

rosalyn wrote:David De Keyser telling us headache sufferers that "Nothing acts faster than Anadin"
Indeed. Whenever I get a headache I always use nothing ;)

The Wooksta!
405 lines

Post by The Wooksta! »

Paul Darrow also did American Express and a rather interesting one for Wimpy, where he appears more in character as Avon.

Said ads can be seen on the Tube of You.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Richard Briers did appear on screen in a number of ads, one with Penelope Wilton, despite calling him Richard, he seems to be in 'Martin' mode.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

Can TV personalities be included? I seem to recall a certain TOTP presenter advertising Brentford Nylons in the '70s.

Did Jimmy Young appear and sing in, "Mothercare Goes Upto Ten"?

I also remember Percy Thrower advertising a brand of fertilizer (?), which got him sacked as "Gardener's World" presenter, though he still appeared as the Blue Peter gardening expert.

John Noakes appeared in adverts for Everest double glazing with what looked like Shep renamed as Skip.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Focus II wrote:Can TV personalities be included? I seem to recall a certain TOTP presenter advertising Brentford Nylons in the '70s.

Did Jimmy Young appear and sing in, "Mothercare Goes Upto Ten"?

I also remember Percy Thrower advertising a brand of fertilizer (?), which got him sacked as "Gardener's World" presenter, though he still appeared as the Blue Peter gardening expert.

John Noakes appeared in adverts for Everest double glazing with what looked like Shep renamed as Skip.
And Ted Moult, of course.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

Must be hundreds more. The same TOTP presenter advertised Bisto gravy with his mother. Terry Wogan- Bovril cubes and Curry's. Lesley Judd Kit-E-Kat.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

One of my favourites was the Xmas 'Wonder Of Woolworths' ads, packed with famous faces, usually connected with the item they were posing with.

There was Kenny Everett, The Goodies, Lionel Blair, Leslie Crowther, Liza Goddard and Gareth Hunt, to name a few.

Some of them were 2 or 3 minutes long, and were an event in themselves, part of Xmas TV, one year, 77 I think, they had a jazzy version of the 'Wonder Of Woolies' tune sung by Georgie Fame, I thought they were hugely entertaining.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:One of my favourites was the Xmas 'Wonder Of Woolworths' ads
Although virtually everyone remembers that as the slogan, it was actually "That's the wonder of Woolworth". For some reason the company insisted on referring to itself without the "s" in its advertising, although it also promoted the nickname "Woolies" - "that's the wonder of Woolworth, that's the wonder of good old Woolies". No one in real life ever called it "Woolworth" as far as I know.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Mark wrote:One of my favourites was the Xmas 'Wonder Of Woolworths' ads, packed with famous faces, usually connected with the item they were posing with.

There was Kenny Everett, The Goodies, Lionel Blair, Leslie Crowther, Liza Goddard and Gareth Hunt, to name a few.

Some of them were 2 or 3 minutes long, and were an event in themselves, part of Xmas TV, one year, 77 I think, they had a jazzy version of the 'Wonder Of Woolies' tune sung by Georgie Fame, I thought they were hugely entertaining.
A few years ago, the Marks and Spencer Christmas ads had a line-up of famous faces: Stephen Fry, Lulu, and Helen Mirren are a few (if memory serves me right). Twiggy was also one of their regular models in their adverts.

Mentioning Helen Mirren; Virgin Atlantic Upper Class legroom!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The M&S ads are a good one, perhaps memories of the highly successful Woolies campaign, and Brocks right, I think we all called them Woolworths.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

Kenny Everett- "WHSmith, very good news"....

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

Focus II wrote:Can TV personalities be included? I seem to recall a certain TOTP presenter advertising Brentford Nylons in the '70s.

If you're being coy about naming names because it was the unmentionable one...It wasn't!
It was Alan Freeman who did Brentford Nylons.

voyager
405 lines

Post by voyager »

Alan "Fluff" Freeman also did OMO long before Brentford Nylons

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

Brock wrote:
Mark wrote:One of my favourites was the Xmas 'Wonder Of Woolworths' ads
Although virtually everyone remembers that as the slogan, it was actually "That's the wonder of Woolworth". For some reason the company insisted on referring to itself without the "s" in its advertising, although it also promoted the nickname "Woolies" - "that's the wonder of Woolworth, that's the wonder of good old Woolies". No one in real life ever called it "Woolworth" as far as I know.
In Australia it's always been Woolworths, it seems strange without the S on the end. I assume it comes from the same persons name, someone Woolworth. But then on TV we had Blankety Blanks and Britain had Blankety Blank, that also seems strange.

It's funny because if you said you were going to Woolworth, that would sound strange, but if you say you're going to Aldi (without an S on the end) that sounds OK for some reason. It must just have something to do with the word itself.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

murphy1961 wrote:It's funny because if you said you were going to Woolworth, that would sound strange, but if you say you're going to Aldi (without an S on the end) that sounds OK for some reason. It must just have something to do with the word itself.
There are no rules for shop names, both with regards to the "s" and the possessive apostrophe.

Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury's.
Waterstone's became Waterstones in 2012 but I usually go to W.H.Smith, known as "Smiths".

Returning to the thread, I didn't realise it was "the wonder of Woolworth". I must have added a subliminal "s" because the song was "Woolworths" in my head.

~iw

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

In Britain, the only place you saw ''Woolworth' was on the shop front. "F.W.Woolworth & Co."
"Woolworth's" is what you call it. It comes from being a Nation of Shopkeepers.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

They did eventually change the branding to "Woolworths" after the UK company split off from its American parent, some time in the 80s I think. (Incidentally the similarly-named Australian company has nothing to do with the American or UK company - they simply copied the name!)

The "Woolworths Museum" website has some of the 1970s "Wonder of Woolworth" commercials (not sure if I'm allowed to link).

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

As well as their more famous Public Information Film for road safety as part of the Dad's Army cast, John Le Mesurier and Arthur Lowe advertised butter in modern dress but adopting their Wilson and Mainwaring characteristics.

Not a brand of butter, just butter.

It was directed by Timothy Bentinck's dad, Henry.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

wittoner wrote:"Guinness is Good for You" pre-dates the television era. First used as a slogan circa 1930.
And part of the copy-writing team at advertising agency Benson's responsible for that was Dorothy L. Sayers, who definitely penned...

If you can say as he can
"Guinness is good for you"
How grand to be a Toucan
Just think what Toucan do