Actors appearances in commercials

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

Re: Actors appearances in commercials

Post by Mark »

Brian F wrote:
Mark wrote:
There was a good Seconda ad with Bob Monkhouse, he must have done loads, but I apart from the Seconda ad, I have only spotted two others, an early Mars Bar ad, and game show style ad to win a car 'at your local chemist'.

Although he may be the only star to have done a posthumous ad on TV.
That reminds me, wasn't there an ad with Arthur Lowe that had to be taken off after his death? I can't remember what it was for though. Does anyone else here remember it?
Not sure,wasn't the Wispa one was it, on the YT comments, it mentions it was filmed just a couple of months before Arthur Lowe died.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:Bob Monkhouse did the first satellite TV advert; for Dreem toothpaste , in 1961!
Audio only though, and what a lot of trouble they went to, to get it played.!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Slightly off-topic, but just wanted to mention a new ad for First Direct Banking...it's in B/W...hooray for B/W...more please!

Joanna Lumley has done a few ads over the years,, but she puts in a pre-fame appearance in a 60's Nimble ad.

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

Several more spring to mind.

Leonard Rossiter and Joan Collins - Cinzano
Sharon Maughan - Nescafe Gold Blend

And what about Harriet Philpin from the now famous R Whites secret lemonade drinker ad. I recall seeing her in an episode of The Sweeney (Thou Shalt Not Kill), and as I have been watching the very nice Dutch DVD set of Blake's 7 recently, I noticed she also popped up in an episode of that too.

Mike Grady from Citizen Smith also appeared in a commercial in the 70's, though I cannot recall what it was for. Kit-Kat or something similar.

When I was last in the USA, 11-years-or-so-ago, I saw a very old, very plump, and very out of condition Lee Majors in an advert, though I cannot remember what it was for. I do recall the tagline being something like "for your six million dollar solutions". It came across as a bit sad really, and he reminded me of older Biff from the Back to the Future films.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Simon Coward wrote:
Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Simon Coward wrote:I think the store signage and whatnot has been Sainsbury's for decades - certainly back to the 1960s - but the name of the company which owned the shops was "J. Sainsbury Ltd". So in that sense, back in time, "Sainsbury's" was effectively a brand name.
No, it was "J Sainsbury" up to 1998, then they started to change progressively, although there are still a few "modern" stores that still have the original signage. Redditch is a good example of a large store that still has "J Sainsbury" on the front.
I may be thinking it's older than it really is because they've called themselves "Sainsbury's" in print and TV ads for the best part of six decades at least, as well as their own brand food having that name for decades.

On the other hand, the word "Sainsbury's" is clearly sticking out on a sign from the shop in the photo here and it doesn't look like a picture that was taken less than 20 years ago to me.

I seem to recall that we're not supposed to link here, but if you search a well-known video sharing site for the words Savacentre Washington you get a nice Sainsbury's logo at the start, a style which I well recall. I can't find any contemporary branded goods which use it, so if it wasn't for shops, what was it for?
I think we have to separate what is colloquial use - even by the company itself - and what it was officially. Checking the British Newspaper Archive, both the supermarkets and the company are refered to without the possessive, often with the initial prefix, throughout the 1960s. Where the possessive appears, it's mostly appropriate in context, although there is the occasional use of an "s" without an apostrophe.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote: I think we have to separate what is colloquial use - even by the company itself - and what it was officially.
I'm pretty sure that during the 70s my local branch in south-east London had "J Sainsbury" in large letters on the building itself, but "Sainsbury's" over the door as you went in. That suggests that the company was happy to use the colloquial name in its branding alongside the "official" name.

Incidentally, Wikipedia says that the name of the holding company is still "J Sainsbury plc", but its divisions are called "Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd", "Sainsbury's Bank" and "Sainsbury's Argos".

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

There are a couple of current ones doing the rounds...

Julie Walters for Vision Express (previously with Trevor McDonald);
James Cordon and those irritating Confused.com ads.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

rosalyn wrote:Several more spring to mind.

Leonard Rossiter and Joan Collins - Cinzano
Sharon Maughan - Nescafe Gold Blend

And what about Harriet Philpin from the now famous R Whites secret lemonade drinker ad. I recall seeing her in an episode of The Sweeney (Thou Shalt Not Kill), and as I have been watching the very nice Dutch DVD set of Blake's 7 recently, I noticed she also popped up in an episode of that too.

Mike Grady from Citizen Smith also appeared in a commercial in the 70's, though I cannot recall what it was for. Kit-Kat or something similar.

When I was last in the USA, 11-years-or-so-ago, I saw a very old, very plump, and very out of condition Lee Majors in an advert, though I cannot remember what it was for. I do recall the tagline being something like "for your six million dollar solutions". It came across as a bit sad really, and he reminded me of older Biff from the Back to the Future films.
Yes, good ones, those Collins/Rossiter ads are classics without are doubt.

Harriet Philpin was also in a "Who" ( "Genesis Of The Daleks" 1975).

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Cole wrote:There are a couple of current ones doing the rounds...

Julie Walters for Vision Express (previously with Trevor McDonald);
James Cordon and those irritating Confused.com ads.
Also those recent Warburtons ads with Peter Kay and The Muppets.

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

Ah! As you've mentioned Muppets, what about our fibreglass friends from the worlds of Gerry Anderson. Although not strictly actors, I guess the original voice artists would count.

Please correct me if I've got any of these wrong.

Supercar - Walls Ice Cream
Fireball XL5 - Zoom ice lolly
Stingray - Sea Jet ice lolly
Thunderbirds - Zoom and FAB ice lollies, and Sugar Smacks cereal
Captain Scarlet - Orbit lolly and Sugar Smacks cereal
Joe 90 - Lolly (can't remember which) and Sugar Smacks cereal.

Many of these are included as extras on the various DVDs.

And a live action one would be the Blue Cars Travel with Nicholas Parsons and Denise Bryer.

:-)

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Also recently Sally Geeson in the Everest Windows ads.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Brian F wrote:Also recently Sally Geeson in the Everest Windows ads.
She did a 'Head and Shoulders' commercial in the 1960s.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

Didnt John Cleese do an ad for Accurist, (spelt correctly?) watches ?

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

Tiffany Chapman (Brookside/Hollyoaks/Emmerdale) in a 2016 Halifax commercial, appearing with Top Cat no less.

There's a nice piece on it here.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1 ... doing-now/

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

The late Lynne Frederick did a Protein 21 shampoo advert "Mends split ends, the last of the frizzies" very early in her career. In fact they caption over said "Lynne Frederick, actress".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

rosalyn wrote:Ah! As you've mentioned Muppets, what about our fibreglass friends from the worlds of Gerry Anderson. Although not strictly actors, I guess the original voice artists would count.

Please correct me if I've got any of these wrong.

Supercar - Walls Ice Cream
Fireball XL5 - Zoom ice lolly
Stingray - Sea Jet ice lolly
Thunderbirds - Zoom and FAB ice lollies, and Sugar Smacks cereal
Captain Scarlet - Orbit lolly and Sugar Smacks cereal
Joe 90 - Lolly (can't remember which) and Sugar Smacks cereal.

Many of these are included as extras on the various DVDs.

And a live action one would be the Blue Cars Travel with Nicholas Parsons and Denise Bryer.

:-)
Also a "Doctor Who" one for Sky Ray lollies, with an Actor hiding his face, as it's not Patrick Troughton.

Weetabix ad in the 70's, with a Dalek.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

prisoner5 wrote:Didnt John Cleese do an ad for Accurist, (spelt correctly?) watches ?
Yes the 'Accurist, Accurankle' one.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brian F wrote:The late Lynne Frederick did a Protein 21 shampoo advert "Mends split ends, the last of the frizzies" very early in her career. In fact they caption over said "Lynne Frederick, actress".
There's a 70's one for Camay, where they mention 'Nicola Pagett Actress', but well known by then of course.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

June Whitfield has done a few over the years including ones for Birds Eye, and with Terry Scott's Curly Wurly ad, that's Terry and June taken care of.!

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Mark wrote:June Whitfield has done a few over the years including ones for Birds Eye, and with Terry Scott's Curly Wurly ad, that's Terry and June taken care of.!
With Scott as an overgrown schoolboy!
I hoped I'd permanently forgotten that one.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:
Mark wrote:June Whitfield has done a few over the years including ones for Birds Eye, and with Terry Scott's Curly Wurly ad, that's Terry and June taken care of.!
With Scott as an overgrown schoolboy!
I hoped I'd permanently forgotten that one.
Now now, go and listen to his novelty record, 'My Bruvver' until you like it!

Sally Thomsett did an ad for Crunchie ( with David Janson in it) and Richard O' Sullivan did one for Remington, and also for Look-In.

No sign of any for Paula Wilcox though.

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

On hearing the sad news of Geoffrey Hayes, i recall he did a Guinness ad early '70s.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Don't remember that one!

However it did remind me that Zippy did an ad for Marmite, and more recently Pizza Hut ( with George).

In the same vein, Windy Miller promotes Quaker Oats.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

Mark wrote:
Not sure,wasn't the Wispa one was it, on the YT comments, it mentions it was filmed just a couple of months before Arthur Lowe died.
I certainly recall an advert for the blood transfusion service which included John Peel being abruptly taken off after he died.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Focus II wrote:
Mark wrote:
I certainly recall an advert for the blood transfusion service which included John Peel being abruptly taken off after he died.
Interesting, don't recall that one either.

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

Gay Hamilton - Man in a Suitcase, Space 1999, and more recently, Edwina Dunn in Eastenders - was once in a Fry's Chocolate Cream commercial. It was the one where a girl is savouring the taste of the chocolate while reclining on a sofa, and her cat knocks an ornament from a shelf above, and she catches it in her hand. Remember?

And a pre-Bond George Lazenby was Mr 'Big Fry', a little before my time, if memory serves me well?

Delivering boxes of chocolates to those lucky gals leading jet-set lives was also an out-of-hours earner for not one, but two, Skydiver captains from UFO! And all because the lady loves Gary Myers and David Warbeck. :-)

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

"Loving care from Clairol" shampoo I think it might have been from 1984 featuring Justine Lord, perhaps best known for playing Death in the Prisoner episode, "The Girl Who Was Death".

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Focus II wrote:"Loving care from Clairol" shampoo I think it might have been from 1984 featuring Justine Lord, perhaps best known for playing Death in the Prisoner episode, "The Girl Who Was Death".
I'd have thought it was a bit earlier than 1984, but you're quite right that she did appear in a commercial for "Loving Care".
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

smorodina
405 lines

Post by smorodina »

Slightly off topic as he wasn't an actor, but the talk of posthumous appearances reminded me of the 'elephant.co.uk' adverts a few years back. Stephen Vickerstaff, who presented them, died of a diabetic related illness at 28 and the adverts continued for some time after his death. Apparently his parents wanted them to continue as a sort of tribute.
Andy Hurwitz

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

Simon Coward wrote: I'd have thought it was a bit earlier than 1984, but you're quite right that she did appear in a commercial for "Loving Care".
It might have been. I have this commercial on a VHS recording at the end of a film from February 1984 which included it.

Terry and June, sorry if someone's already mentioned this. Electricity Board Shop adverts.