Actors appearances in commercials

What's not currently on the box
Don Satchley
625 lines

Re: Actors appearances in commercials

Post by Don Satchley »

Jeff Goldblum also advertised Holsten Pils if memory serves.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

ray lomas wrote:
spflog1 wrote: Jan Francis & Paul Nicholas - Cadbury's Wispa
Mel Smith and Peter Cook did one for Wispa too.

Which has just reminded me of the series of Holsten Pils ads from around the same time, with Griff Rhys Jones edited into scenes from classic films.
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten that Mel did those with Peter. I did remember the ones Mel and Griff did for Wispa but then promptly forgot to add it to the list! Daft really, as they're easily the first that come to mind with that whole advertising campaign.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Don Satchley wrote:Jeff Goldblum also advertised Holsten Pils if memory serves.
As did Donald Pleasence.

The Wooksta!
405 lines

Post by The Wooksta! »

"Look at the quality of workmanship on that arrowhead!"

Vic and Bob were advertising Cadbury's Boost in the early 90s.

"Cadbury's Boost - slightly rippled with a flat underside."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNDvJyJDXro

And don't forget Harry Enfield doing the Dime Bar ads either. His "Dime Bar?" question was a euphemism for stupidity where I worked at the time.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Eric Idle did a commercial for Rowntree Mackintosh's Breakaway chocolate biscuit bar in his "nudge-nudge" persona didn't he? It had "the suggestive biscuit" as the strapline at the end. Must have been quite early 1970s as the mickey is taken in Monty Python's Live at Drury Lane album: "Oh! Breakaway. Urgh!"
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

Eric Idle tells the story of how John Cleese told him off for doing that advert, saying it was wrong to cash in like that.
Eric was so chastened he turned down an offer from Australia to do a similar advert there.
He then discovered they'd asked Cleese instead and Cleese had agreed to do it!

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Just been reminded of Frank Thornton advertising Smith crisp's Horror Bags and Bernard Cribbins advertising Hornby train sets.

I wonder if voice-overs count. If so Tom Baker was ubiquitous during the 80s/90s during commercial breaks.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Thinking of voice-overs reminded me of Rob Brydon's P+O ads.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

wittoner wrote:Eric Idle tells the story of how John Cleese told him off for doing that advert, saying it was wrong to cash in like that.
Eric was so chastened he turned down an offer from Australia to do a similar advert there.
Cleese also did ads for Sony.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Ian Wegg wrote: ...Actors who made an advert or two early in their careers and went on to greater fame, the ones that turn up on those Before They Were Famous shows. Ross Kemp and Angus Deayton come immediately to mind ...
Re-reading this thread and this reminded me that Angus Deayton was advertising Barclaycard when his drug-usage story broke. I think the ads got pulled just after.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

Cole wrote:I wonder if voice-overs count. If so Tom Baker was ubiquitous during the 80s/90s during commercial breaks.
I've already mentioned Tom for his PR1ME Computers ads. He did those in character as the Doctor, with Lalla as well.

A few more:

Henry McGee - Sugar Puffs
Lynda Bellingham - Oxo stock cubes
Patrick Allen - Barratt Homes
Lenny Henry - Premier Inn

The Wooksta!
405 lines

Post by The Wooksta! »

Mention of Angus getting his ads pulled after the coke scandal broke reminded me of Vic Reeves - who had been on the Churchill Insurance ads - being dropped after he was done for drink driving. Bob Mortimer of course remained the voice of the dog.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Mention of John Cleese, reminded me of the fairly recent "Fawlty" style Specsavers ad, criticised by Timothy West, also for 'cashing in' , although there have been a number of ads with Andrew Sachs, not mentioned by name but obviously Manuel.

Trying to work out the earliest ads based on a TV character/TV show, it's still with Hancock at the moment though.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

wittoner wrote:Eric Idle tells the story of how John Cleese told him off for doing that advert, saying it was wrong to cash in like that.
Yes, John Cleese did an ad in Australia for the Nudge chocolate bar, mid/late-70s maybe. I think he was on a golf course or something. It was with Ian Smith who played Harold in Neighbours later on. My memory's actually not that good, I've seen it since somewhere.

Cleese's chastising of Idle wanting to do a commercial must've been early on, as JC has done several ads just in Australia over the years, let alone elsewhere, and not just Britain and America, if what's seen on YouTube is any indication.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Mark wrote:Trying to work out the earliest ads based on a TV character/TV show, it's still with Hancock at the moment though.
Jack Edwardes and partner (could be Felix Bowness but it looks more like Dickie Arnold, it's hard to tell - it could be someone else altogether) did an advert for Hoover in 1958. I'm not that clear on the style of the Edwardes / Arnold partnership, but the commercial looks very like the kind of thing Edwardes did as half of Mick and Montmorency / Mick and Marmaduke - getting a job and doing it badly in slapstick fashion. In this case it was pasting up posters for "National Hoover Week". There's no talking, just slapstick under a frantic music track.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Simon Coward wrote:
Mark wrote:Trying to work out the earliest ads based on a TV character/TV show, it's still with Hancock at the moment though.
Jack Edwardes and partner (could be Felix Bowness but it looks more like Dickie Arnold, it's hard to tell - it could be someone else altogether) did an advert for Hoover in 1958. I'm not that clear on the style of the Edwardes / Arnold partnership, but the commercial looks very like the kind of thing Edwardes did as half of Mick and Montmorency / Mick and Marmaduke - getting a job and doing it badly in slapstick fashion. In this case it was pasting up posters for "National Hoover Week". There's no talking, just slapstick under a frantic music track.
Interesting, not seen that one, that's has to be the earliest so far then, by a coincidence I was looking at a picture of Mick and Montmorency, just recently, in the book 'Eye On TV'.

There are also some early ads from Tommy Cooper, and I saw one with Arthur Haynes (possibly on "Heroes Of Comedy").

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Mark wrote:Interesting, not seen that one, that's has to be the earliest so far then, by a coincidence I was looking at a picture of Mick and Montmorency, just recently, in the book 'Eye On TV'.
I meant to say, but forgot, that that commercial can be dated precisely because it is part of a commercial break preserved in a Granada recording of a live play ("The Liberty Man", 01.10.1958).
Mark wrote:There are also some early ads from Tommy Cooper, and I saw one with Arthur Haynes (possibly on "Heroes Of Comedy").
I suppose with someone like Cooper, it would very much depend on its nature. Apart from the odd sketch, Cooper didn't generally play characters on screen, and his persona wasn't specifically created for television even though television was the medium through which most people got to see him. But I guess if Haynes was, for instance, playing his tramp character in a commercial, then there'd certainly be no argument - unless that also happened to pre-date "the box".

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

That's true about cigar advertising. They were no longer allowed to say, "From Benson and Hedges" anymore. Embassy changed the name of their rival to the initials, "ESP" around the same time.

I remember Frank Windsor advertising Hamlet in a war setting with Frank saying, "Hard work fighting the French".

Think Paul Darrow did one too, "Nonsense, the world is round".

Another I recall was Clive Dunn advertising Birds Eye Faggots (? What on earth?) in his old man persona with an ear trumpet to aid poor hearing!

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Rodney Bewes promoted Birds Eye Faggots. I can't remember the Clive Dunn one; which side of Dad's Army was it?

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

It was the early '70s. 1971? There's a still image of the commercial in the 1972 ITA guide to Independent Television book.

I remember seeing the actual commercial.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Simon Coward wrote:
Mark wrote:Interesting, not seen that one, that's has to be the earliest so far then, by a coincidence I was looking at a picture of Mick and Montmorency, just recently, in the book 'Eye On TV'.
I meant to say, but forgot, that that commercial can be dated precisely because it is part of a commercial break preserved in a Granada recording of a live play ("The Liberty Man", 01.10.1958).
Mark wrote:There are also some early ads from Tommy Cooper, and I saw one with Arthur Haynes (possibly on "Heroes Of Comedy").
I suppose with someone like Cooper, it would very much depend on its nature. Apart from the odd sketch, Cooper didn't generally play characters on screen, and his persona wasn't specifically created for television even though television was the medium through which most people got to see him. But I guess if Haynes was, for instance, playing his tramp character in a commercial, then there'd certainly be no argument - unless that also happened to pre-date "the box".
Haynes was as himself, but possibly early 60's, not sure where I have seen it, it's not in "Heroes Of Comedy", the Cooper ones, could be late 50's/early 60's.

Another one for Wispa, Arthur Lowe and John Le Mesurier, they were obviously going through well know duos.

Mention of those Prime Ads earlier, there's also the French Champagne ads with Patrick Macnee and Linda Thorson.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Focus II wrote:... Think Paul Darrow did one too, "Nonsense, the world is round" ...
Another from Blake’s 7, although not in character: Stephen Greif did a pizza advert which also coined an oft-used phrase (within my peers anyway) "that's handy, Harry!"

Also recall George Cole doing ads for the Leeds Building Society in Arthur Daley guise.

The Wooksta!
405 lines

Post by The Wooksta! »

Mention of Rodney Bewes reminds me of the later Tudor Crisps adverts from the 1990s, voiced by t'other Likely Lad James Bolam.

Paul Darrow was advertising mobility scooters about ten years back, eerily prescient of his need for them now.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Another pair using their TV roles/personas, though some time after Hancock, were Warren Mitchell and Una Stubbs. They advertised Findus Fish Fingers together, late 60s? early 70s? Perhaps in the long gap between series three and four of Till Death Us Do Part. There's no mention of any names, but they're clearly in Alf / Rita mode.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Ah Findus reminds me of the Orson Welles commercials..... however what emerged later was the hilarious voice over outtakes, which you can find on that well known file viewing site under 'Orson Welles Frozen Peas'

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

Another Paul Darrow one was for Wimpy, about 1985. Can also be found on a certain site...

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Just seen on Twitter, Ronnie Barker advertising Walker's crisps, 1985.

Ian Fryer
405 lines

Post by Ian Fryer »

Cole wrote:Just seen on Twitter, Ronnie Barker advertising Walker's crisps, 1985.
Ronnie B also did an excellent series of ads for Sekonda watches at the back end of the seventies.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ian Fryer wrote:
Cole wrote:Just seen on Twitter, Ronnie Barker advertising Walker's crisps, 1985.
Ronnie B also did an excellent series of ads for Sekonda watches at the back end of the seventies.
And John Cleese was batting for Accurist.!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Simon Coward wrote:Another pair using their TV roles/personas, though some time after Hancock, were Warren Mitchell and Una Stubbs. They advertised Findus Fish Fingers together, late 60s? early 70s? Perhaps in the long gap between series three and four of Till Death Us Do Part. There's no mention of any names, but they're clearly in Alf / Rita mode.
Good one, later on there was Steptoe And Son in an Ajax ad ( costume and names) and the famous Kenco ad.

Also a great ad ( late 80's) for the Telegraph, with Hitchhikers graphics and Peter Jones VO.