Actors appearances in commercials

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

Re: Actors appearances in commercials

Post by Mark »

A Watneys ad, Morecambe and Wise again, and The Scaffold did another.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

ian b wrote:
And part of the copy-writing team at advertising agency Benson's responsible for that was Dorothy L. Sayers, who definitely penned...

If you can say as he can
"Guinness is good for you"
How grand to be a Toucan
Just think what Toucan do
That's an interesting snippet. Of course, Wimsey worked undercover in an advertising agency, at one point.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

wittoner wrote:
Focus II wrote: If you're being coy about naming names because it was the unmentionable one...It wasn't!
It was Alan Freeman who did Brentford Nylons.
I stand corrected. I'm certain JS did appear in a similar department store advert though, clearly not Brentford Nylons.

And another from memory: Tony Bastable advertising Peugeot Talbot cars circa 1982.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

I'm also now remembering the Bryan Pringle (with David Bailey) camera ads tag line "David Bailey, who's he?". I think it was for Canon.

Another one was Jimmy Edwards for Toby bottled beer ( what a surprise) in a Shakespearean mode "Toby or not Toby, there is no question".

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

Didnt Leslie Crowther do a lager beer ad with the line "are you coming down to zee beer kellar" in a German accent, either Kronenberg, or Hoffmeister?

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

Just been told Angus Deayton advertised Appletise back in "85.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Deayton also did Fruit and Fibre. One of them from the Bill also did that as well. Clips have been shown on various Before They Were Famous programmes. Didn't Patsy Kensit advertise frozen peas?

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Brian F wrote:I'm also now remembering the Bryan Pringle (with David Bailey) camera ads tag line "David Bailey, who's he?". I think it was for Canon.

Another one was Jimmy Edwards for Toby bottled beer ( what a surprise) in a Shakespearean mode "Toby or not Toby, there is no question".
The David Bailey ads were for the Olympus Trip.

I don't remember the Toby beer ads but I do remember Jimmy Edwards promoting a vending machine that dispensed shots of Scotch Whisky.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

stearn wrote:Deayton also did Fruit and Fibre. One of them from the Bill also did that as well. Clips have been shown on various Before They Were Famous programmes. Didn't Patsy Kensit advertise frozen peas?
IIRC Patsy did Birds Eyes Peas adverts "Fresh as the moment when the pod went pop".

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Just recalled Brian Murphy having an outburst because it wasn't real Formica: "I pay my rates!"

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

It was the then fairly unknown Bob Todd's adverts for Knorr stock cubes - "It's Beef! It's Beef!" - which led to Benny Hill inviting him to join the cast of his show.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I've been trying to identify the "It's Beef! It's Beef!" bloke for YONKS.
(I thought it was OXO, by the way!)

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

prisoner5 wrote:Didnt Leslie Crowther do a lager beer ad with the line "are you coming down to zee beer kellar" in a German accent, either Kronenberg, or Hoffmeister?
Don't remember that but he did appear in Stork SB commercials on a taste comparison test.

As did singer Joe Brown for Pepsi (The Pepsi challenge).

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Brock wrote:
Mark wrote:One of my favourites was the Xmas 'Wonder Of Woolworths' ads
Although virtually everyone remembers that as the slogan, it was actually "That's the wonder of Woolworth". For some reason the company insisted on referring to itself without the "s" in its advertising, although it also promoted the nickname "Woolies" - "that's the wonder of Woolworth, that's the wonder of good old Woolies". No one in real life ever called it "Woolworth" as far as I know.
Not unique, of course. People invariably add a possessive after W H Smith, Tesco, Sainsbury, Maplin, etc.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Brock wrote:Although virtually everyone remembers that as the slogan, it was actually "That's the wonder of Woolworth". For some reason the company insisted on referring to itself without the "s" in its advertising, although it also promoted the nickname "Woolies" - "that's the wonder of Woolworth, that's the wonder of good old Woolies". No one in real life ever called it "Woolworth" as far as I know.
Not unique, of course. People invariably add a possessive after W H Smith, Tesco, Sainsbury, Maplin, etc.
As previously mentioned, Sainsbury's - "live well for less" - has the possessive s in its name (and signage). I don't think I've ever heard it called Sainsburys's.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I can remember a time when the name displayed on the stores was "J Sainsbury", though it mainly used "Sainsbury's" in its branding and advertising.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Brock wrote:Although virtually everyone remembers that as the slogan, it was actually "That's the wonder of Woolworth". For some reason the company insisted on referring to itself without the "s" in its advertising, although it also promoted the nickname "Woolies" - "that's the wonder of Woolworth, that's the wonder of good old Woolies". No one in real life ever called it "Woolworth" as far as I know.
As previously mentioned, Sainsbury's - "live well for less" - has the possessive s in its name (and signage). I don't think I've ever
heard it called Sainsburys's.
I think the store signage and whatnot has been Sainsbury's for decades - certainly back to the 1960s - but the name of the company which owned the shops was "J. Sainsbury Ltd". So in that sense, back in time, "Sainsbury's" was effectively a brand name.

Both Boots and Timothy Whites used a possessive 's' too, though I don't recall either employing an apostrophe.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

'I've always liked Cliff Richards/Wendy Richards'...'IT'S RICHARD'...'That's what I said, Cliff Richards/Wendy Richards.

Didn't Brucie also do the Stork ads?

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

Mark wrote:'I've always liked Cliff Richards/Wendy Richards'...'IT'S RICHARD'...'That's what I said, Cliff Richards/Wendy Richards.

Didn't Brucie also do the Stork ads?
Yes, hear it all the time. Much like Dr Spock instead of Mr Spock...lol.

I think Brucie did.

And as you are on the subject of butter and margarine, Ray Lonnen did a Flora ad. :-)

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Ian Wegg wrote:
Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
As previously mentioned, Sainsbury's - "live well for less" - has the possessive s in its name (and signage). I don't think I've ever heard it called Sainsburys's.
I stand corrected on that exception, although obviously up to 1998 the stores were branded as "J Sainsbury." My father-in-law used to work for them before the change, and he pointedly always refers to them as just "Sainsbury."

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Simon Coward wrote:I think the store signage and whatnot has been Sainsbury's for decades - certainly back to the 1960s - but the name of the company which owned the shops was "J. Sainsbury Ltd". So in that sense, back in time, "Sainsbury's" was effectively a brand name.
No, it was "J Sainsbury" up to 1998, then they started to change progressively, although there are still a few "modern" stores that still have the original signage. Redditch is a good example of a large store that still has "J Sainsbury" on the front.

smorodina
405 lines

Post by smorodina »

rosalyn wrote:
Yes, hear it all the time. Much like Dr Spock instead of Mr Spock...lol.
The first time I heard that was on 'Joker's Wild', Harry Fowler making fun of Ray Martine's haircut - 'I thought it was Dr Spock off Star Trek!' Funny how some things stick in your memory.

On topic, I recorded an advert for German trains on one of the German satellite channels some years ago featuring Harry Enfield.
Andy Hurwitz

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, I remember the Dr Spock confusion as well.

The Ray Lonnen Flora ad was a good one, forgot about that.

There was a good Seconda ad with Bob Monkhouse, he must have done loads, but I apart from the Seconda ad, I have only spotted two others, an early Mars Bar ad, and game show style ad to win a car 'at your local chemist'.

Although he may be the only star to have done a posthumous ad on TV.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Mark wrote:
There was a good Seconda ad with Bob Monkhouse, he must have done loads, but I apart from the Seconda ad, I have only spotted two others, an early Mars Bar ad, and game show style ad to win a car 'at your local chemist'.

Although he may be the only star to have done a posthumous ad on TV.
That reminds me, wasn't there an ad with Arthur Lowe that had to be taken off after his death? I can't remember what it was for though. Does anyone else here remember it?

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Bob Monkhouse did the first satellite TV advert; for Dreem toothpaste , in 1961!

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Simon Coward wrote:I think the store signage and whatnot has been Sainsbury's for decades - certainly back to the 1960s - but the name of the company which owned the shops was "J. Sainsbury Ltd". So in that sense, back in time, "Sainsbury's" was effectively a brand name.
No, it was "J Sainsbury" up to 1998, then they started to change progressively, although there are still a few "modern" stores that still have the original signage. Redditch is a good example of a large store that still has "J Sainsbury" on the front.
I may be thinking it's older than it really is because they've called themselves "Sainsbury's" in print and TV ads for the best part of six decades at least, as well as their own brand food having that name for decades.

On the other hand, the word "Sainsbury's" is clearly sticking out on a sign from the shop in the photo here and it doesn't look like a picture that was taken less than 20 years ago to me.

I seem to recall that we're not supposed to link here, but if you search a well-known video sharing site for the words Savacentre Washington you get a nice Sainsbury's logo at the start, a style which I well recall. I can't find any contemporary branded goods which use it, so if it wasn't for shops, what was it for?

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

What a crazy conversation this is.
Our local grocer was called Dick Smith, and his name appeared on the front of his shop.
We went to 'Dickie Smith's'.
The 'others' (it was a divided community, back then) went to 'Hendersons'.
His shop-front said 'J. Henderson', that being his name.
Normal use of the possessive case...

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

[quote="Simon Coward"I seem to recall that we're not supposed to link here, but if you search a well-known video sharing site for the words Savacentre Washington you get a nice Sainsbury's logo at the start, a style which I well recall. I can't find any contemporary branded goods which use it, so if it wasn't for shops, what was it for?[/quote]

For information purposes, I'm guessing, as that wasn't a the BHS logo. Savacentre was one of those oddities (we had one in Basildon) where Sainsburys food was sold alongside BHS home and clothing, but you could only take goods bought there back there if there was a problem - it didn't matter that they were branded as per the other stores. IIRC there was a full BHS in the town centre as well with the nearest Sainsburys in Pitsea/Vange.

As for YouTube links, I think adverts are fair game as copyright holders would be very difficult to determine. Programmes should only be linked to if they are on an official channel i.e. uploaded by the copyright holder.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

stearn wrote:
Simon Coward wrote:I seem to recall that we're not supposed to link here, but if you search a well-known video sharing site for the words Savacentre Washington you get a nice Sainsbury's logo at the start, a style which I well recall. I can't find any contemporary branded goods which use it, so if it wasn't for shops, what was it for?
For information purposes, I'm guessing, as that wasn't a the BHS logo. Savacentre was one of those oddities (we had one in Basildon) where Sainsburys food was sold alongside BHS home and clothing, but you could only take goods bought there back there if there was a problem - it didn't matter that they were branded as per the other stores. IIRC there was a full BHS in the town centre as well with the nearest Sainsburys in Pitsea/Vange.

As for YouTube links, I think adverts are fair game as copyright holders would be very difficult to determine. Programmes should only be linked to if they are on an official channel i.e. uploaded by the copyright holder.
Yes, they opened one in Calcot near Reading, quite close to where I grew up, and there was one in Oldbury, West Midlands, not too far from where I am now, so I'm familiar with Savacentre as a concept. And I understand the reason for putting a Sainsbury's logo in the commercial. But what I was getting at is that I don't understand why I should recognise that typeface and rounded-corner rectangle style if the name wasn't (at that point or earlier) used on Sainsbury's own stores, which is effectively what I was told in an earlier post in this thread.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Checking The Times, Sainsbury's used a standard san-serif block capitals font until around 1994, then changed to a more cursive serif font (although they retained the block capitals on the Sainsbury's Homebase logo). When Sainsbury's bank appeared around 1997, that was with the block capitals.

1999 was when the Sainsbury's font in the SavaCentre ad appeared in their print adverts and I suspect the border was for packaging as I can't find any ads with borders - it looks as though it was orange text on white background, or white text on orange background, but difficult to confirm with a digitised microfilm!

I worked in BHS of an evening whilst studying for my degree and didn't see any branding like that shown on the ad. It was the upright lower case ribbon h between capitals B and S for years (there is an announcement that British Home Stores becomes BhS on Sept 15, 1986) then changed to an elongated script bhs in the mid 90s, though they never did change properly - when BhS went phut, the Southend store was still with the 1986 logo.

Oddly, searching SavaCentre DOES come up with an ad/article on Friday, May 27, 1977 with the British Home Stores font and the announcement that the Washington Hypermarket is due to open in November that year. So it looks like even though they announced a change in 1986, they still clung onto the old branding for the SavaCentre advert.

From wikipedia, SavaCentre was wholly owned by Sainsbury's from 1989 and the logo there is similar to the that in the ad, except, the branding of Sainsbury's SavaCentre is with the block capitals in an advert in The Times from Thursday, October 19, 1989.

Obviously branding was far more fluid a couple of decades ago than it is now so the use of borders or even several typefaces at any one time was acceptable.