Topical quizzes and panel games

What's not currently on the box
Brock
HD

Topical quizzes and panel games

Post by Brock »

A new series of The News Quiz on Radio 4 prompts me to ask: before Have I Got News for You came along in 1990, what news-based panel games were broadcast on TV? There was BBC2's short-lived Scoop in 1981-82, presented by Barry Norman and then Richard Stilgoe; and as far as I know you have to go all the way back to Ned Sherrin's Quiz of the Week on BBC1 before that (1969-70). But maybe I've missed some?

Mark
Committee

Re: Topical quizzes and panel games

Post by Mark »

There was one for Children in the 80's, from Central, with Tommy Boyd, "What's Happening", there's one on YT.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

In about '86, S4C broadcast Fel 'Na Mae ('That's The Way It Is') which a combination of a quiz and a light-hearted discussion. It was chaired by the historian John Davies (1938-2015, author of the seminal book A History Of Wales).

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

There was Thames' 'Headliners' presented by Derek Jameson, although it was a about the news it was about old newspaper headlines rather than topical news

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Another 'old news' show was the BBC's "Today's The Day" with Martyn Lewis, I thought that was an excellent show, I'm sure that had at least one celeb Xmas Day show.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

Considering radio, Children's Hour incorporated a regular 'Current Affairs Quiz' in the 1940s. Straightforward general knowledge though, matching regional teams.