Channel 4 and ITV

What's not currently on the box
Simon36
HD

Channel 4 and ITV

Post by Simon36 »

Something I’ve always wondered. When Channel 4 started ITV programmes were often repeated there, and ITV often said in junctions “starting now over on Channel4...”

Does anyone know when this sort of thing stopped and why?

doubleM
625 lines

Re: Channel 4 and ITV

Post by doubleM »

Simon36 wrote:Something I’ve always wondered. When Channel 4 started ITV programmes were often repeated there, and ITV often said in junctions “starting now over on Channel4...” Does anyone know when this sort of thing stopped and why?
It happened when Channel 4 took over selling their own advertising (from the regional ITV companies who - in return had originally funded the channel when it was a 'minority interest' setup), as part of the Broadcasting Act 1990. (The same act which broke the quality threshold for selection of the 1993 ITV francises).

As good a summary as any is on the Channel 4 Wikipedia page, under the 'funding section'.

Channel 4 - Wikipedia
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Many thanks for this!

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Maggie Brown's A License To Be Different: The Story Of Channel 4 (BFI 2007) is recommended. It includes a lot about the pivotal change once Channel 4 started to sell their own advertising.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

Yes, I remember this. "Over on ITV now, News at Ten" was something else I remember.

In the early days of Channel 4 it certainly was, "ITV2" in all but name.