Shows ruined by revival/comeback

What's not currently on the box
Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Re: Shows ruined by revival/comeback

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

jno wrote:Hawaii Five O - I actually like the remake and for me it is up there with the original which has many dud episodes.
The remake isn't something I'd go out of my way to watch, but the episodes I have caught of it do stand up better than a lot of the US crime series that seem to fill the various minor channels.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

paul.austin wrote:The Fallen One
? Where does that come from?

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

Billy Smart wrote:
paul.austin wrote:The Fallen One
? Where does that come from?
Russell T. Davies = Russell T. God = fallen angel = The Fallen One.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There was an article in The Listener, years ago, which suggested that "Who" reached it's peak of potential with the Hinchcilffe years, as despite the very good ratings, the controversial horror content meant that subsequent producers had to 'tone it down', ( a bit like telling the producer of "Top Of The Pops" to make the show but not put any music in it!) and therefore stunted it's progress.

Despite that I think Graham Williams and JNT did an excellent job, any script problems later on were down to some inexperienced writers being used.

Agree with jno though, ended in 89 for me too.

I would add the revival of "The Rag Trade" , mentioned earlier, that worked well, better than the BBC's revival pilot of it in fact, "Christmas Rush" being my favourite episode.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

DOCTOR WHO.

I thought it was fucking awful in 2005 and the passage of 14 years has only strengthened that opinion. For a laugh I watched an episode of the latest series. Still badly written but now packed with obligatory box-ticking and politically correctness. Just awful beyond words.

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

We need another return to Peladon for a Brexit comment story. :-)

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

How dare Dr Who do politics now that I'm aware it's doing politic!
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Don't forget the attempt at satire with the gag about UNIT being axed, last series.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Crackerjack" ('CRACKERJACK') is the latest to make a comeback it would seem.

Hosted by Sam and Mark, it will be on CCBC next year.

Don't drop that cabbage!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Caught the Saturday night repeat of Friday's "Crackerjack" ("Crackerjaaack") clearly based on the 80's gunge filled incarnation.

Can't fault the effort put into it, but miss the comedy routines and sketches version, it's practically all games now, and 'Double Or Drop" features the contestants dropping off the set, rather than the cabbages!...and the Pencils have got bigger!

Also miss the glory days and gravitas of The Television Theatre.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I've been watching Special Branch on Talking Pictures, and looking at this thread again has been illuminating. I was puzzled by the revamp at the tail-end of series one, and in series two it's definitely lost its way. It started out with an air of Callan about it, but some of the episodes in series two are silly or even semi-comical (such as "Love From Doris" which was on this week).* We'll see how it feels when series three comes up.

*There's also the rather tedious recurring character of Christine Morris. It's never a good sign when a show introduces a female villain as the hero's teasing nemesis/love interest, viz Philippa Vale in Bergerac.

billo
405 lines

Post by billo »

I fully agree with Black Nun re Doctor Who - a unique show that always had stronger and weaker tales but most were at least entertaining with six decent Doctors tho' Tom Baker's era had the lapse into self mockery after Hinchcliffe due to Mary Whitehouse moans while Colin Baker got a few clunker stories and the suspension then boot by Grade before really being able to develop his characterisation

for me by McCoy (who seemed to be out of his depth) the thing was visibly creaking with all those old comedians turning up as JNT frankly lost the plot

Paul McGann despite a poor 'Americanised' TV movie was good - the audio adventures he did were more in the style of 'classic' Dr.Who - and it's a shame he never got a TV show in the style of the 'classic' show

the 2005 revival onwards was really another show that just 'piggybacked' onto the classic programme nicking certain aspects like a police box, Daleks etc...and cheerfully murdered almost everything that was so special about the original show to boost the massive egos of two limited 'showrunners' with their own agendas

now that geeky 16 year old po faced 'fanboy' who had the nerve to have a go at Pip and Jane Baker has got his hands on it...and appears to be finally destroying whatever was left of the weak 2005 parody show proving you should never allow so called 'fans' anywhere near a TV show

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

To be honest I think that most of the Doctors thought to be weak gave much better performances in Big Finish audios. Also McCoy gave his best TV performance in the McGann movie.

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

I will chip in with Minder on Channel 5 with Shane Richie back in 2009. I think the original perhaps went on far too long and became tired, but I'm sure most will agree even the worst episodes of it were not as bad as this truly dire impostor that luckily only lasted for six episodes.

billo
405 lines

Post by billo »

I believe Dennis Waterman said he thought they really should have ended 'Minder' when he left - and renamed the George Cole / Gary Webster later series as; 'Daley and Co'

- which would have avoided any straight compare and been a quite logical spin off show in it's own right as Gary played Arthur's nephew also named Daley

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

That would have been better, certainly.

Didn't see much of the revival, but no surprise it was gone in a flash.

What about "The New Professionals"?...not good at all, despite the presence of the excellent Edward Woodwood.

billo
405 lines

Post by billo »

yes indeed and what about some famous American shows

The New Untouchables - couldn't touch Robert Stack's original

Black Kojak - who didn't love ya baby ?

Raymond Burr did 199 episodes of Ironside,
the later Black Ironside did a whole 9 episodes...

The Defenders - E.G. Marshall and Robert Reed did the classic version - Jerry O'Connell's comedic version was found guilty of being an unfunny joke

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

The proposed "Family Affair" in-character reunion in the eighties would have needed a Fake Buffy and a Fake Mr. French. Thankfully, Brian Keith nixed it. He also helped scuttle the proposed "Family Affair" film in the nineties that would have made fun of the show.

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

"Shows ruined by revival/comeback"

DR WHO.

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

Light the blue touch paper and retire to a safe distance.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'd go along with that one.