Christmas tapes

What's not currently on the box
swills
405 lines

Christmas tapes

Post by swills »

Nor sure if this shoulsd be in this forum or not ! I am sure i saw somewhere that on BBC4 over Christmas there is a short programme about the Christmas tapes of the BBC and ITV that are now (as far as I am concerned !) sought after, and well loved... but I cant seem to find anything listed, or was it me just dreaming ?? lol

gallifreyan
405 lines

Re: Christmas tapes

Post by gallifreyan »

This Sunday:

DOCUMENTARY: The Secret Story of the BBC Christmas Tapes
On: BBC 4 (9)
Date: Sunday 23rd December 2018 (starting in 4 days)
Time: 21:30 to 22:00 (30 minutes long)
The story of the blooper-filled BBC Christmas tapes since their first appearance in 1978. These festive mash-ups of outtakes, blunders and specially filmed comedy sketches were shown to BBC staff at Christmas parties and were never meant for public viewing. Their story has not been told before - until now.
(Stereo)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=17351

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

Thankyou :-) been scanning the EPG, but did not see it, must be my age !

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

The Mastermind out-take was my contribution

B

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Should be interesting (look forward to the "Mastermind" one, Bernie) the programme has been mentioned in one or two threads.

Wasn't it the 79 one with Legs and Co dancing about in VT?

Always thought the ITV versions were somewhat lame in comparison.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Bernie wrote:The Mastermind out-take was my contribution

B
Oh, I didn't know you were a contestant, did you mess up?

;)
This is nøt å signåture.™

yellowtriumph
405 lines

Post by yellowtriumph »

Mark wrote:Should be interesting (look forward to the "Mastermind" one, Bernie) the programme has been mentioned in one or two threads.

Think about the size of the staff and facilities at BBC television Centre, then think about the size and facilities of the average ITV production centre.

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

Spiny Norman wrote:

B

;)
Ho, ho. By the time Good King Memorex was being made, everyone was looking out for content. Stars like Noel Edmonds were saying "Merry Christmas VT" every time something went wrong. I had a rushes roll of Mastermind for a trail, and there was some blooper on it that I passed on, and Grant put it in. It was my total contribution, though my brother appears in White Power Christmas in Pres A. I think Warwick Cross was studio director, in so much as one was needed, and Warwick and Ray Moore made the opening trail package for GKM.

Looking back now, it all marked a peak for BBCtv and Television Centre, as a huge somewhat disfunctional family all pulling together to make telly.

Bernie

...and Yellowtriumph where have you been all this time?

yellowtriumph
405 lines

Post by yellowtriumph »

Bernie wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:

B

;)
Ho, ho. By the time Good King Memorex was being made, everyone was looking out for content. Stars like Noel Edmonds were saying "Merry Christmas VT" every time something went wrong. I had a rushes roll of Mastermind for a trail, and there was some blooper on it that I passed on, and Grant put it in. It was my total contribution, though my brother appears in White Power Christmas in Pres A. I think Warwick Cross was studio director, in so much as one was needed, and Warwick and Ray Moore made the opening trail package for GKM.

Looking back now, it all marked a peak for BBCtv and Television Centre, as a huge somewhat disfunctional family all pulling together to make telly.

Bernie

...and Yellowtriumph where have you been all this time?

.. I still visit from time to time, but as time passes I find I have less to contribute. As an aside you will delighted to know your re-edited BBC Presentation 'tape' has had a wide audience.

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

yellowtriumph wrote: As an aside you will delighted to know your re-edited BBC Presentation 'tape' has had a wide audience.
Yes - it seems to have had far more of an impact than I expected. All I did was put together some old stuff for internal (sort of) consumption - mostly the people who were in it. We have a Pres mailing list and a Tech-Ops mailing list and that's where I sent it. I've had a lot of emotional emails.

B

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

Think I still have what must a copy of a copy of a........... on VHS, of one of them, shame they can be made available through a website for like minded people..if you get my drift :-) !

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Bernie wrote:Stars like Noel Edmonds were saying "Merry Christmas VT" every time something went wrong.
Yeah, for example Baldrick says "mery christmas VT!" in the Blackadder III bloopers too. Even though the tapes had moved on from bloopers to other ideas by then.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

yellowtriumph wrote:
Mark wrote:Should be interesting (look forward to the "Mastermind" one, Bernie) the programme has been mentioned in one or two threads.

Think about the size of the staff and facilities at BBC television Centre, then think about the size and facilities of the average ITV production centre.
Yes indeed, I was thinking more along the lines that they just weren't as funny with the specially done stuff.

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

I really enjoyed the Christmas tapes documentary. Nice to see Jim Bacon, with whom I've often worked, feature! Lovely man.

I think a good point was made too that they convey that sort of family / TV factory feel of Television Centre which can doubtless be somewhat romanticised by those of us who never worked there, but which does seem to have existed to some degree.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Shame It was only 30 mins, but very good, and they even showed a bit of Legs and Co in VT, so that's me happy!

If only those BBC 1 jumpers were available in the shops.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

A nice little programme which could easily have been an hour. They did rather pass over the fact that the BBC ones are just as sexist and pervy as the ITV ones though!

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

Paul Hayes wrote:I think a good point was made too that they convey that sort of family / TV factory feel of Television Centre which can doubtless be somewhat romanticised by those of us who never worked there, but which does seem to have existed to some degree.
It did indeed exist, though we didn't realise it at the time, as we didn't know anything else. It all started to come undone in the early nineties, courtesy of Mr Birt

Bernie

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

You mean...Birtros!