"Morecambe And Wise: The Lost Tapes"

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

"Morecambe And Wise: The Lost Tapes"

Post by Mark »

Greatly enjoyed the newly recovered episodes, and the short intro.

Nice to see Jenny Lee Wright alongside Eric and Ernie, and as I have always liked middle of the road songs, the musical interludes are perfect for LE shows like this.

I suppose Braben was the best, but there is much to enjoy with Hills and Green style, (fan of the films as well) and the pools sketch was very nice.

Hope they come to DVD soon.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Simon Mclean
405 lines

Re: "Morecambe And Wise: The Lost Tapes"

Post by Simon Mclean »

On the subject of MOR musical interludes, I'm normally quite good at recognising the performers on shows like this, but I've drawn a total blank on Chris Langford - it seems she did a few BBC shows between 1967-69, then nothing. Anyone know who she was?

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Back in the day when they were trying to recover Episode 2 (there's a wonderful BBC blog about the progress so far), i seem to remember Philip Morris suggesting that he may have another copy. I assume that he'd found these but hadn't confirmed the numbers.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Simon Mclean wrote:On the subject of MOR musical interludes, I'm normally quite good at recognising the performers on shows like this, but I've drawn a total blank on Chris Langford - it seems she did a few BBC shows between 1967-69, then nothing. Anyone know who she was?
Doesn't seem to much about her, but she was a regular on Granada's "People And Places", and "The One O' Clock Show" from Tyne Tees.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

drmih wrote:Back in the day when they were trying to recover Episode 2 (there's a wonderful BBC blog about the progress so far), i seem to remember Philip Morris suggesting that he may have another copy. I assume that he'd found these but hadn't confirmed the numbers.
The two just shown were apparently Audition prints found in a disused Cinema in Sierra Leone, the decayed one was presumably found elsewhere?...there has been no further mention of the supposed second copy though.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

Episode 2 came from Jos like the DW episodes if I remember correctly.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Oh yes, I think you are right, it's so long ago.

Seen the minute or so recovered from the goo, but it's in the fridge now isn't it?... too expensive to do the lot at the moment.

drmih
625 lines

Post by drmih »

I think it's all been cut up and scanned - the issue of taking this experimental approach was that it had to be done before it was totally lost to decay. The process is to put all of the bits in chronological order and then try and make them watchable - apparently the clean up will be much harder than on a badly scratched print, as the frames aren't already formed and there was also the level of damage caused by decay and the parts where the laser cut it. I guess it will be a labour of love by someone, rather than a commercial exercise.

Ronco
625 lines

Post by Ronco »

drmih wrote:Back in the day when they were trying to recover Episode 2 (there's a wonderful BBC blog about the progress so far), i seem to remember Philip Morris suggesting that he may have another copy. I assume that he'd found these but hadn't confirmed the numbers.
He also said he'd check on his recovered Goodies episodes when someone mentioned "Kitten Kong" as he felt he might have the original. No word as of yet whether this is the case.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It is odd he hasn't mentioned whether he's checked or not, he's supposed to be making another announcement early in the new year I think.