Trapped in TV Land device

What's not currently on the box
paul.austin
625 lines

Trapped in TV Land device

Post by paul.austin »

To me, If i were writing a Trapped in TV Land story, I'd do a period TV show where there was more restrictions on, say, women or young people.

"Pleasantville" (the show within a movie) played it for laughs but boy would a modern little girl or adolescent female be pished off at not being able to wear trousers to school or church or a job if they arrived in a fifties drama or sitcom.

drmih
625 lines

Re: Trapped in TV Land device

Post by drmih »

You mean a bit like "Lost in Austen"?

ghughesarch
405 lines

Post by ghughesarch »

There was a BBC play in the late 80s where a criminal from a gentle, 1950s, 'Dixon of Dock Green' type show was arrested by corrupt coppers from modern series 'The Filth'. And vice versa, though the reverse situation was only shown in a short scene at the end where the tough modern gangster was being offered a cup of tea. His response was the first time I remember hearing 'fuck' on television.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ghughesarch wrote:There was a BBC play in the late 80s where a criminal from a gentle, 1950s, 'Dixon of Dock Green' type show was arrested by corrupt coppers from modern series 'The Filth'. And vice versa, though the reverse situation was only shown in a short scene at the end where the tough modern gangster was being offered a cup of tea. His response was the first time I remember hearing 'fuck' on television.
"The Black And Blue Lamp", interesting to compare that with it's supposed comment on "Dixon", and the later "Life On Mars", a comment on "The Sweeney" and an opposite view.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"