“Back in Time for TV” Blog

What's not currently on the box
AndrewP
625 lines

“Back in Time for TV” Blog

Post by AndrewP »

Just flagging up something which I’ve rather enjoyed reading of late: HE Cooper’s “Back in Time for TV” postings at Transdiffusion. It’s great to see somebody taking a slightly different approach to what I’ve come across before, and to show some new perspectives on old material. Always makes me happy to see people relishing the subject of archive television, and conveying it with understanding and enthusiasm. So, here’s the link in case others might enjoy it too.

https://www.transdiffusion.org/2019/05/ ... or-tv-1974

All the best

Andrew

Mark
Committee

Re: “Back in Time for TV” Blog

Post by Mark »

Always lots of good stuff on there to read.

One thing I like, when looking back at previous decades, is the changing TV landscape, patterns of TV schedules that last a few years and then change.

Sundays, for instance, in the early 70's, was always "The Golden Shot", and then family shows like "Catweazle" or "Black Beauty", The God Slot with "Stars On Sunday", and a variety of Sit-Coms around the 7pm slot, "On The Buses", "The Fenn Street Gang" or "Doctor At Large/In Charge".

You got used to them while they lasted, and barely noticed as they slowly evolved with tweaks here and there.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Mark wrote:Always lots of good stuff on there to read.
Mmmm. I tried to post a missive of enjoyments and gratitude on the website itself ... but it didn't seem to work. Shame. When I see something I like, I always try to enthuse about it or give positive feedback ... but I've tried twice now to submit and comment and the blog just ain't 'avin it.
One thing I like, when looking back at previous decades, is the changing TV landscape, patterns of TV schedules that last a few years and then change.

Sundays, for instance, in the early 70's, was always "The Golden Shot", and then family shows like "Catweazle" or "Black Beauty", The God Slot with "Stars On Sunday", and a variety of Sit-Coms around the 7pm slot, "On The Buses", "The Fenn Street Gang" or "Doctor At Large/In Charge".

You got used to them while they lasted, and barely noticed as they slowly evolved with tweaks here and there.
The "shape" of schedules is fascinating isn't it? I think there's potential for quite a study into this one day. Understanding when the changes occur.

All the best

Andrew

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, it would be fascinating, creating eras with clever scheduling patterns.

Sometimes they can be quite sudden changes, 1973 saw the end of "On The Buses". "Nearest And Dearest", "Father Dear Father" and "The Fenn Street Gang", and in 2010, three long runners ended with "Last Of The Summer Wine", "Heartbeat" and "The Bill".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The Geoffrey Lugg Tapes (head of Thames presentation) on Transdiffusion 's soundcloud, are an interesting listen, only three tracks, but supposedly many hours taped.

The GL Tapes

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Very much enjoyed the sampling of 1975... and for the *third* time I've tried to leave comments to this effect on the Transdiffusion website itself. But they just seem to vanish.

If there *is* anyone looking in from Transdiffusion, this blog is something which I'm enjoying immensely, and I'm keen that the hard work behind it is rewarded by at least a modicum of appreciation from a reader such as myself.

Anyway, here's the new one:

https://www.transdiffusion.org/2019/05/29/back-in-time-for-tv-1975

All the best

Andrew

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

1979 is a year with a lot of very strong and vivid memories for me... and the latest edition of this blog was one which I found especially effective.

Hope others may enjoy it too.

https://www.transdiffusion.org/2019/08/21/back-in-time-for-tv-1979

All the best

Andrew

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

The emphasis on News programmes makes this particular post especially effective and interesting. Its the type of thing that usually gets overlooked in such blogs, being both hard to access and the antithesis of 'cult television'. Something that occurred to me when reading was that while the reliance upon maps and audio-only coverage of parliament must come across as weirdly unvisual now, both these conventions may have worked better to convey information objectively to the viewer than present-day TV news does.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

HE's blog now has a new, self-contained home... and has reached forward to 1984. Some interesting stuff on there - hope others are still finding it as engaging as I am:

http://backintimefortv.co.uk/

All the best

Andrew