Top of the Pops no show

What's not currently on the box
Cole
625 lines

Top of the Pops no show

Post by Cole »

A friend of mine informs me that an article in this week's Total TV Guide says that any episodes of TOTP introduced by Mike Smith are not being shown as he isn't giving consent. I wondered if this was Mike Reid instead, seeing that Mike Smith has died?

ian b
D-MAC

Re: Top of the Pops no show

Post by ian b »

Smith didn't want his editions of TOTP repeated, a wish his widow is upholding.

Old news mind: this first reared its head back in 2016 when the 1983 episodes went out on BBC Four...

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Cole wrote:I wondered if this was Mike Reid instead
Although Mike Read presented TOTP on many occasions, I don't think Mike Reid ever appeared - were you thinking of Runaround?

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Brock wrote:
Although Mike Read presented TOTP on many occasions, I don't think Mike Reid ever appeared - were you thinking of Runaround?
Mike Reid had a hit with "The Ugly Duckling" in 1975, so he probably did appear as a performer. Pretty sure he never presented it, though.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

ian b wrote:Smith didn't want his editions of TOTP repeated, a wish his widow is upholding.

Old news mind: this first reared its head back in 2016 when the 1983 episodes went out on BBC Four...
Thanks for the reply. What surprised me is that there have been editions featuring Mike Smith broadcast over the last year.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Brock wrote:
Cole wrote:I wondered if this was Mike Reid instead
This can be an issue with Google or Bing these days; the swap between Reid and Read, while searching for the info still came up with the same results. Honest mistake on my part.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Cole wrote:
ian b wrote:Thanks for the reply. What surprised me is that there have been editions featuring Mike Smith broadcast over the last year.
Well, I dunno where you’ve seen them - certainly not on BBC Four.