Grenfell Tower in Archive Shows & Films

What's not currently on the box
rosalyn
405 lines

Grenfell Tower in Archive Shows & Films

Post by rosalyn »

Dear All,

Since this catastrophic fire in London, I have been spotting the Grenfell Tower time and time again whilst watching and enjoying my archive TV shows on DVD. I've seen it in at least two episodes of The Sweeney, one episode of The Professionals and three episodes of Minder so far.

It has a strange effect on me, sends a bit of a chill down my spine whenever I spot it. Seeing it without the cladding on it, and thinking what was to happen in the years to come. Yet before the fire two years ago today, it would never have registered at all, being just another London tower block.

So I thought I would pitch the question on the second anniversary of the Grenfell fire, have any of you here at the Mausoleum Club spotted it in any archive shows you've watched recently? If so, how does it make you feel? Are there any TV shows or films that were shot in, or feature the building prominently, maybe as a focal point where some fictional characters are supposed to live?

Ones off the top of my head are The Sweeney, 'Big Brother, 'One of Your Own'. The Professionals 'Fall Girl'. Minder, 'The Car Lot Baggers' and 'Around the Corner', all where the building is just there in the background.

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Re: Grenfell Tower in Archive Shows & Films

Post by David Boothroyd »

Given the proximity to TV Centre it's been in a lot. It's in the title sequence of 'Rockliffe's Babies' and I think a few episodes as well.

Aaron76
405 lines

Post by Aaron76 »

It also appears in the title sequence of the London Weekend series New Scotland Yard.

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

Aaron76 wrote:It also appears in the title sequence of the London Weekend series New Scotland Yard.
I think not. The only tower blocks which appear in the title sequence of 'New Scotland Yard' (filmed from the Westway and freeze framed when the episode title appears) are the six on the Warwick and Brindley Estate in north Paddington.

I know they are because I have been the local ward councillor for all these six tower blocks for the last 17 years.

Aaron76
405 lines

Post by Aaron76 »

My mistake. Thanks for the correction.
I wrongly assumed the tower blocks featured were more near the Wood Lane end of Westway.

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

Here's a link to the locations for Minder 'Around the Corner'. Scroll down to the shot of the guy on the allotment and you will see Grenfell quite prominently left of frame.

http://www.minder.org/locations/S05E09_ ... Corner.htm

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

Caught an unexpected glimpse of it for the very first time during an umptieth viewing of The Sweeney first series episode 'Cover Story', mostly filmed around that part of Kensington.