1989 Thames/ Yorkshire/ LWT repeat seasons

What's not currently on the box
Billy Smart
625 lines

1989 Thames/ Yorkshire/ LWT repeat seasons

Post by Billy Smart »

Thames, Yorkshire and LWT all celebrated their 21st anniversaries in 1989, and each company marked the occasion by screening a special repeat seasons of old programmes. These repeats seem to have mostly only been broadcast within each company's region.

Some of the surrounding material for the Yorkshire broadcasts has recently materialised on YouTube, with special in-vision introductions from the stars for episodes of assorted old dramas - The Main Chance (John Stride), Hadleigh (Gerald Harper), Emmerdale Farm (Sheila Mercier), Flambards (Christine McKenna) and The Sandbaggers (Ray Lonnen) (The Racing Game was also part of the season).

Does anyone know what the full line-ups were for each season? It would be interesting to see what each company considered their legacy to be at that time.

ian b
D-MAC

Re: 1989 Thames/ Yorkshire/ LWT repeat seasons

Post by ian b »

Here's a few...

27-07-89 THE BIRTHDAY SHOW hosted by Edward Woodward

THAMES MAVERICKS 9pm
24-07-89 CALLAN - That'll Be The Day
31-07-89 PUBLIC EYE - Who Wants To Be Told Bad News
07-08-89 VAN DER VALK - Enemy
14-08-89 THE SWEENEY - Target

Plus a selection of comedies including...
BLESS THIS HOUSE - The Frozen Limit (20-07-89)
FATHER DEAR FATHER -The Opposite Six
AND MOTHER MAKES THREE - Simon's Holiday

Also AFTERNOONS REVISITED, four compilations culled from AFTERNOON PLUS from 24-07-89.

Bizarrely, while HTV took the MAVERICKS, (as filler for late Friday nights), it couldn't be bothered to assemble a similar retrospective for its own 21st anniversary.

LWT repeats included...
BUDGIE: Everyone Loves A Baby
BOUQUET OF BARBED WIRE: Festivities
WITHIN THESE WALLS: Remand Wing
UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS: Distant Thunder
DOCTOR IN CHARGE - Brotherly Hate
ON THE BUSES - The New Uniforms

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Thames' celebrations also included a repeat of THE NAKED CIVIL SERVANT (03-08-1989).
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

A quick look in The Times, pins Main chance (Yorkshire) and and Public Eye (Thames) down to 9-10pm 31 Jul, Sandbaggers (York) and Van Der Valk (Thames) 9-10pm, 7 Aug, and Raffles (York) and The Sweeney (Thames)9-10pm, 14th Aug. 21st doesn't appear to have anything 'archive' listed, so that may have been the end of the season, and I haven't gone back earlier. Granada had Magnum at the same start time each week, so were obviously being different with their own scheduling.

I see IanB has been busy at the same time, but the digital newspapers are definitely your friend.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

LWT's also included

THE GENTLE TOUCH - The Good, the Bad and the Rest (28-07-89)
21 YEARS - A LONDON A-Z (also 28-07-89), which was a special edition of THE LONDON PROGRAMME comparing attitudes, lifestyles and politics of Londoners over 21 years.
21 YEARS OF LAUGHTER (29-07-89) hosted by Denis Norden
ASPEL IN THE BEST COMPANY (also 29-07-89)
A LIVE CELEBRATION (30-07-89) - a party on the South Bank
ABC OF THE SOUTH BANK SHOW (also 30-07-89) - highlights of 12 years of...

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Aha, thank you. Its interesting how - in the field of drama, anyway - all three companies concentrate on programmes from the seventies, with the only relatively recent episode being The Gentle Touch (1984).

I'm surprised how little of this I saw at the time (I would have been 16). The only thing that I can remember watching was the Dennis Norden LWT comedy retrospective, and being excited to see clips from the very early Channel 4 French & Saunders and Oblivion Boys specials that I'd just been reading about in Roger Wilmut's recently-published Didn't You Kill My Mother-in-Law?. Apart from Budgie and Upstairs Downstairs (which had been repeated on Channel 4) the names of these seventies series wouldn't have meant very much to me. We're still a few years away from UK Gold, and the drama archive opening up a bit.

Also interesting how we seem to get just the one single play across the three seasons.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Billy Smart wrote: Also interesting how we seem to get just the one single play across the three seasons.
Actually two (at least). Your comment rang a bell with me, and a quick hunt confirmed that Yorkshire showed their MR AXELFORD'S ANGEL (1974) on 21-08-1989.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

One other thing. Rather out of the main run of things, Yorkshire also broadcast THE GREAT YORKSHIRE SHOW on 17-02-89, a 90-minute Richard Whiteley-hosted clips and guests show.

They also took their CALENDAR show out on the road under the title CALENDAR 21.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

ian b wrote: Bizarrely, while HTV took the MAVERICKS, (as filler for late Friday nights), it couldn't be bothered to assemble a similar retrospective for its own 21st anniversary.
HTV wasn't one of the "Big Five" network companies, so would there have been enough material to create a similar season?

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

From Wikipedia:

The National Library of Wales archives now store 200,000 ITV (HTV) film and video items dating from 1958

So I'm guessing they might have had 'something', just not the will.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

The Thames Mavericks season ended with MINDER. Can’t remember the episode off hand. LWT also showed an episode of HOLDING ON.

There was a similar season in 1982 entitled BEST OF BRITISH; can’t remember what the occasion was though! UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS episode GUEST OF HONOUR and SWEENEY episode VISITING FIREMAN (bizarre choice) showed up.

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Simon36 wrote:There was a similar season in 1982 entitled BEST OF BRITISH; can’t remember what the occasion was though!
Covering up gaps in the schedule during the 1982 World Cup, I think.

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Simon36 wrote:The Thames Mavericks season ended with MINDER.
That makes sense, as I think that all five were introduced by Dennis Waterman, surrounded by cans of film in the Thames archive. The Callan and Public Eye ones can be found on YouTube.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There was also another compilation: "21 Years Of Situation Comedy", but I don't have a date for it in my listings, the comps were all networked of course.

Granada had it's 30th in 86, but the only ones I have down are an episode of "The Army Game" and ( possibly two) of "Bootsie And Snudge", they obviously showed more than that though.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Simon36 wrote:The Thames Mavericks season ended with MINDER. Can’t remember the episode off hand. LWT also showed an episode of HOLDING ON.

There was a similar season in 1982 entitled BEST OF BRITISH; can’t remember what the occasion was though! UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS episode GUEST OF HONOUR and SWEENEY episode VISITING FIREMAN (bizarre choice) showed up.
I remember that season. In addition to the above, also billed were

BLESS THIS HOUSE: The Frozen Limit
HADLEIGH: Film Story
THE CUCKOO WALTZ
LILLIE: The New Helen
GEORGE AND MILDRED: Moving On
THE PERSUADERS!: Greensleeves
A FAMILY AT WAR: The Summer Before the War
THE SAINT: Queen's Ransom (in b/w!)
WHY DIDN'T THEY ASK EVANS
THE LOVERS
GET SOME IN
THE BENNY HILL SHOW
RISING DAMP: Fire and Brimstone
DOCTOR IN CHARGE: Honeymoon Special
THE PRISONER: The Girl who was Death
RETURN OF THE SAINT: Duel in Venice
THE DAME OF SARK
ANOTHER SUNDAY AND SWEET F.A.
THE PROFESSIONALS: The Acorn Syndrome

With some days having two potential schedules dependent on the outcome of earlier games, I'm not sure that every one of those was broadcast.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Brock wrote:
ian b wrote: Bizarrely, while HTV took the MAVERICKS, (as filler for late Friday nights), it couldn't be bothered to assemble a similar retrospective for its own 21st anniversary.
HTV wasn't one of the "Big Five" network companies, so would there have been enough material to create a similar season?
While I'm sure there would have been some sort of feature on either of the regional news programmes, there was no great fuss about HTV's 21st anniversary - and it's not as if some sort of short repeat season couldn't have been assembled from its output. Albeit the more famous programmes were either children's series or multiple-part US co-productions that wouldn't fit easily into a handful of hour slots.

The fact they bought in the Thames dramas as filler rather underlined the company's lack of enthusiasm for its own celebration - I'd actually called the HTV West switchboard to ask if there were going to be any repeats of either its own or others programmes, and in a quite surreal twist the switchboard put me through to then Director of Programmes Derek Clark instead of programme publicity or whatever. The overall impression I got was that he was slightly embarrassed that the company wasn't puting out the flags, but that the cost of making new transfers for tx of anything wasn't worth the cost.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Simon Coward wrote:BEST OF BRITISH season... With some days having two potential schedules dependent on the outcome of earlier games, I'm not sure that every one of those was broadcast.
I kept a note of which schedules went out, slipped into the relevant RT and TVTs, which I can dig out if necessary Simon.

The ITC/ATV programmes had any branding faded out and replaced with the Central globe - and an episode of FATHER DEAR FATHER wasn't used, but turned up in an afternoon slot before the year was out, (HTV West at least). I'm guessing repeat fees had already been paid out and someone didn't want it to go to waste.

BBC2 had PLUNDER during the 60s, spun off from a LATE-NIGHT LINE-UP slot - some interesting bits and bobs there, trawling through Genome.

1976 was FESTIVAL 40 on BBC2, and the following year brought FESTIVAL 77 - a programme (or two) from each of the Queen's reign.

SIX OF THE BEST, an episode each from three UK and three US series kicked off the start of 1981 - and to celebrate the twentieth anniversaries of Z CARS and DOCTOR FINLAY'S CASEBOOK an (unrepresentative) episode from each popped up on Sunday afternoons the following year.

Later in 1982 saw vintage repeats (radio and tv) to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the BBC, (including the famous MAIGRET cock-up), and, of course, the well-remembered if slightly shambolic, TV 50 in 1986.

Granada had a run of repeats in 1976 or 1977, late at night of (mostly?) American series specially selected, (I forget its overall title right now, and I've never compiled a list), and also did CORONATION STREET proud with a run of repeats in 1981 as part of its 25th birthday celebrations. and followed that up in 1982 with a similar selection for the programmes 21st.

There's must be other vintage tv retrospectives that have either slipped my mind, or I've yet to come across.

(Though I suppose we’d better get the obligatory mention of 1981’s THE FIVE FACES OF DOCTOR WHO and 1982’s DOCTOR WHO AND THE MONSTERS repeats over and done with too.)

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

There must be a special skill in finding atypical episodes for such compilations.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Simon Coward wrote:
WHY DIDN'T THEY ASK EVANS
The Guardian wryly speculated that the only reason for this repeat was to offset some of the production's considerable costs, since it was hardly a tv milestone...

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

brigham wrote:There must be a special skill in finding atypical episodes for such compilations.
Quite!

Actually, it's telling that both the Best of British and Mavericks episodes of The Sweeney that were chosen were scripted by Troy Kennedy Martin, whose scripts the cast and production team loved, but which the fans generally give the thumbs down to. VISITING FIREMAN also won the series its highest ever ratings on a repeat while the original series was still being transmitted.

Watching John Stride's intro to THE MAIN CHANCE, he says something to the effect that "in this episode, things are rather different to usual"... so typical of these kinds of selections. Certainly in Mavericks, the Callan episode, excellent as it is, is distinctly atypical of the series.

Rumour had it that CARNIVAL OF MONSTERS was chosen for The Five Faces of Doctor Who because Barry Letts, then exec producer, had directed it.

Re the Coronation Street repeats, I remember one run being after News at Ten and beginning from episode one. Was this 1981, for the programme's 20th anniversary? Don't remember a 1982 season...

I've raised this before, long long ago on the old forum, but there was an absolute paradise of repeats on ITV in the early 80s, all over the schedules, which suited me fine as we had just got a video. Some time in the late 80s, I remember an article in the TVTimes (I think) mentioning this in passing and saying it was for economic reasons, a rise in advertising costs or something like that, but I've never found anything to support that. Whatever the case, on the average day in 1984, there were a hell of a lot of repeats on ITV, both day and evening. Sometimes they were formalised (I remember in about 1985 there was a series of sitcom repeats on a Saturday afternoon called "Comedy Classic".

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

Simon36 wrote:Re the Coronation Street repeats, I remember one run being after News at Ten and beginning from episode one. Was this 1981, for the programme's 20th anniversary?
It was. The estimable Corripedia states that:
[Episode 1] had its second repeat (and its first-ever airing in the regions covered by ATV, Westward Television, Grampian Television, Border Television and Channel Television) on Monday 4th May 1981 at 10.15pm at the start of a week of repeats celebrating Granada's 25th anniversary. The repeat of this episode in the Granada region contained all the original adverts from the 1960 airing. This repeat was not aired by Ulster Television or Anglia Television. This repeat was seen by 9,257,000 viewers (chart placing unknown but outside the top twenty). The other episodes repeated in the week were Episode 16 (the 1961 gas leak), Episode 375 (Emily Nugent jilts Leonard Swindley), Episode 668 (the viaduct collapse), Episode 702 (Elsie marries Steve Tanner) and Episode 923 (the coach crash in the Lake District) although these repeats were not screened in all of the ITV regions (see individual episode entries for details).

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

Simon36 wrote:I remember in about 1985 there was a series of sitcom repeats on a Saturday afternoon called "Comedy Classic".
This was a(n initial) concerted network approach to Saturday afternoon programming just after 'World of Sport' had been cancelled. I seem to remember a mid day Wrestling show, the 'Saint and Greavsie' football magazine in its new standalone slot, that selection of sitcom repeats - 'Please Sir' was an LWT contribution, some occasional fairly high profile feature films and a 'Results Service' show late in the afternoon.

I think the ITV network committee wanted to establish a countrywide 'programming identity' for Saturday afternoon that varied from their weekday (and Sunday) schedules and also compete (and contrast) with the continuing sport of Grandstand on BBC-1 (and horse racing now on Channel 4).
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I used to tape the Saturday afternoon repeats of "Please Sir!", they screened series 2 and 3 and the first two of series 4 (the last ones with Alderton), Granada region moved it to late Friday afternoons during series 3,

"On The Buses" as well, I think, before "PS", Granada also had the complete run of the new "Mind Your Language" series 4 in the Sat slot.

Loved the "Best Of British" season and taped those too, some of the other comedies they showed were:

"Please Sir!" "The Honour Of The School"
"On The Buses" "The Cistern"
"Doctor At Large" "No Ill feeling"

The "Father Dear Father" episode was the Donald Sinden Hospital visit one "Brother Dear Brother" .

The previously mentioned "Who" season "Five Faces" was possibly the only TV retro season to have it's own press call, with Carole Ann Ford , Janet Fielding and some ceramic Police Boxes in Hammersmith Park.

Shouldn't leave out "TV Heaven", with a great selection of shows , "Please Sir!", "The Human Jungle" and "The Avengers" to name a few, some programmes were edited though sadly, plus adverts and title sequences ( probably the best retro season of all), there was even an excellent book you could send for, I did, still have it.

Also "TV Hell", which included the first episode of "Triangle".

A BBC 2 Christmas retro run, including an edited "Christmas Night With The Stars" from 64, "Hancock's Half Hour" episode, "Ericson The Viking" and a rather patronising look back at Christmas Shows.

"ATV Night" on BBC 2, had an episode of "Edward The Seventh" and "Danger Man".

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

That Christmas one, was that A PERFECT CHRISTMAS? A BBC Two theme day, on 21 DECEMBER 1991? The theme nights of that era were a good place for surprise repeats. That one included The Signalman and, for some reason, The Evacuees, which had originally been shown in March 1975 but repeated on Christmas Day that year.

The ITV repeat circus of the 80s most often occupied three slots: 1.30pm (everything from Hazel and Man in a Suitcase to Harvey Moon and Return of the Saint) although to be fair mid-afternoon had long been a drama repeat slot, Public Eye being a popular choice there in the 70s. Also 9pm saw repeats most often of The Sweeney (a few were shown at 8pm, but the IBA ruled against most of them being suitable for that slot) and post News at Ten, where in the mid-80s The New Avengers, UFO and Hammer House of Horror turned up. It required an eagle eye to spot things buried away at peculiar times but was worth it! The repeat run of THRILLER across all regions from 1981 to 1984 was chaotic and often the episodes were billed by their new American title, and not even as THRILLER at all!

Another unexpected repeat run was the entire first series of Upstairs Downstairs, including the black and white episodes, only on LWT, in1996, for the 25th anniversary. Even C4 had skipped the black and white ones during its repeat run between 1982 and 1985. They’d also done repeats of colour Callan and lots of Avengers! It was like Network a few decades early.

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

Simon36 wrote:The ITV repeat circus of the 80s most often occupied three slots: 1.30pm (everything from Hazel and Man in a Suitcase to Harvey Moon and Return of the Saint) although to be fair mid-afternoon had long been a drama repeat slot, Public Eye being a popular choice there in the 70s.
For reference, Simon Coward provided an excellent list of ITV afternoon repeats (up to the end of the 1970s) here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3280

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Simon36 wrote:That Christmas one, was that A PERFECT CHRISTMAS? A BBC Two theme day, on 21 DECEMBER 1991? The theme nights of that era were a good place for surprise repeats. That one included The Signalman and, for some reason, The Evacuees, which had originally been shown in March 1975 but repeated on Christmas Day that year.
Yes, that's the one, there was also "Flowerpot Men", "Dr Finlay's Casebook", "Eastenders", "Top Of The Pops" "Steptoe And Son" and, of course, "Morecambe And Wise".

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

The theme nights were always nicely selected. Crime and Punishment included a repeat of the original Rumole of the Bailey Play for Today.

Two further Sweeney repeats that were downright bizarre choices showed up I remember, one on BBC and one on C4 in the 90s. BBC showed Supersnout as part of an evening of programmes that also included an episode of Shoestring, I think, in about 1993. C4 showed the Special Branch episode Exposure and The Sweeney episode I Want the Man in the summer of 1995. Can’t remember the reason though.

When ITV did a complete Sweeney run in the mid 80s they skipped the episode LOVING ARMS for some reason. Although it did surface on UK Gold I always suspected it was a rights issue: the episode had clearly been rewritten to the point of making no sense at all.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Simon36 wrote:C4 showed the Special Branch episode Exposure and The Sweeney episode I Want the Man in the summer of 1995. Can’t remember the reason though
Those were part of a series entitled Vintage Thames on Channel Four.

08/07/1995 The Kenny Everett Show - Didn't Quite Make It In Time For Christmas Show
08/07/1995 The Sweeney - I Want the Man
15/07/1995 Man About the House - Three's A Crowd
15/07/1995 Special Branch - Double Exposure
22/07/1995 Bless This House - The Frozen Limit
22/07/1995 Callan - Call Me Enemy
29/07/1995 George and Mildred - Moving On
29/07/1995 Minder - The Son Also Rises
05/08/1995 The Knowledge
12/08/1995 Rumpole of the Bailey - Rumpole and the Heavy Brigade

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Simon36 wrote:BBC showed Supersnout as part of an evening of programmes that also included an episode of Shoestring, I think, in about 1993.
"Supersnout" was part of BBC2's Cops on the Box evening of 31/05/1993, which in turn was part of its Crime and Punishment season.

Other repeats in that season included the Rumpole of the Bailey play (16/05/1993), Bad Company (17 & 19/05/1993) and Porridge - Happy Release (24/05/1993).

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Simon Coward wrote:
Simon36 wrote:BBC showed Supersnout as part of an evening of programmes that also included an episode of Shoestring, I think, in about 1993.
"Supersnout" was part of BBC2's Cops on the Box evening of 31/05/1993, which in turn was part of its Crime and Punishment season.

Other repeats in that season included the Rumpole of the Bailey play (16/05/1993), Bad Company (17 & 19/05/1993) and Porridge - Happy Release (24/05/1993).
just a thanks for the amazing afternoon run lists you provided on the old thread.

IIRC Southern was good to the kids during the holidays often running The Saint and Seaway in the mornings (before the kids went out LOL)
London too had a sort of holiday morning service often with Edgar Wallace and Douglas Fairbanks Presents

Not sure if it was always the case but IIRC Douglas Fairbanks presents use to appear without Douglas Fairbanks introducing ie. as a stand-alone film.. which, having seen some US versions was perhaps because the intro was sponsor laden?