1989 Thames/ Yorkshire/ LWT repeat seasons

What's not currently on the box
Simon36
HD

Re: 1989 Thames/ Yorkshire/ LWT repeat seasons

Post by Simon36 »

I don’t think anyone has yet mentioned the super. BLACK AND WHITE IN COLOUR season in the 90s. Can’t remember the year but there was a repeat of the Play for Today A HOLE IN BABYLON and loads more, and a superb accompanying book.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Mentioned by Mark on 6th July.

BBC2’s 1992 season WAR AND PEACE saw the repeat of TESTAMENT OF YOUTH.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

One programme from the "Black And White In Colour" season, , "A Man From The Sun" (1956) was very impressive, with strong performances from Cy Grant and Earl Cameron, would like to see that on DVD.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Mark wrote:Nigel Kneale wasn't always that lucky with the "Quatermass" repeats, was he...I don't think he was thrilled with the choice of episode and time slot for the 86 repeat either.
At least it was complte, but it was weird having just one episode in broadcast quality, and the other five from more dubious sources!
Didn't the "Adam Adamant" repeat have the original Stones track on it?...I'm sure it did.
Yes, which made the editing-down all the more annoying, given that the re-dubbed but otherwise full-length VHS had come out a couple of years previously.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Simon36 wrote:BBC2 also had a rather tasty RICHARD EYRE season in 1993, which contained three Play for Todays, JUST A BOY’s GAME, COMEDIANS and THE IMITATION GAME, and the SCREEN ONE: PAST CARING.
Yes, that was a nice mixed bag, although I detest the counter-factual Imitation Game with a vengeance.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Simon36 wrote:I don’t think anyone has yet mentioned the super. BLACK AND WHITE IN COLOUR season in the 90s. Can’t remember the year but there was a repeat of the Play for Today A HOLE IN BABYLON and loads more, and a superb accompanying book.
Black and White in Colour: Television, Memory, Race 1936-1968 [27/06/92#1 x 46m]
Z Cars: Place of Safety [24/06/64#42 x 48m]
Play For Today: A Hole in Babylon [29/11/79#7 x 107m]
Color Adjustment [1991\28/06/92 x 86m]
Play of the Month: A Passage to India [16/11/65#2 x 110m]
Tonight: West Indians [21/08/63 x 12m]
Empire Road: The Street Party [31/10/78#1 x 28m]
Black and White in Colour: Television, Memory, Race 1968-1992 [30/06/92#2 x 50m]
The Colony [16/06/64 x 42m]
A Man From the Sun [08/11/56 x 59m]
Empire Road: Wedding [25/10/79 #10 x 29m]
Variety in Sepia: Adelaide Hall [09/10/47 x 6m]

They also repeated a couple of episodes of The Lenny Henry Show at the time, but they weren't billed as part of the season proper.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:They also repeated a couple of episodes of The Lenny Henry Show at the time, but they weren't billed as part of the season proper.
The first one was, in Radio Times, anyway. I don't know whether that extended to on-screen presentation/continuity.

The season also included a broadcast of Spike Lee's film Do The Right Thing.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

yellowtriumph
405 lines

Post by yellowtriumph »

Just to side track a little, the 25th celebrations at LWT weren’t just restricted to on-air events. There were also cast reunions at Kent House. I remember of a lot of the remaining cast of ‘On the Buses’ being warmly welcomed to one such event in the hospitality suite.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Interesting...I hope photos were taken.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

What was unusual about the 1983 CH4 showings of The Prisoner was, apart from the first episode, they had their break bumpers intact.

Unless I've missed it, I'm surprised there was no mention of Gerry Anderson shows being revamped by popular demand following a campaign from NME readers' I recall.

These started with Joe 90, Stingray and Thunderbirds that gradually went through the ITV regions from 1981.

LWT had both Joe 90 and Thunderbirds on Saturday mornings.

Westward took Thunderbirds, the first episode they showed was "Alias Mr Hackenbacker"! ATV had Joe 90, I think on Monday afternoons.

Then came Space 1999 in 1982. In 1985 Captain Scarlet and Fireball XL5 returned. In 1986/1987 UFO.

The Champions returned to afternoons in 1984 followed by Man In A Suitcase in 1985, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) 1986/87 and The Baron.

Regions differed, not always showing the full series. Thunderbirds was replaced by Stingray rather quickly on Westward for example, as The Baron was dropped by Tyne Tees after a couple of episodes.

Stingray was also shown in 1988 mornings before the horror of This Morning types of programmes started.

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

Focus II wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:18 am
What was unusual about the 1983 CH4 showings of The Prisoner was, apart from the first episode, they had their break bumpers intact.
Episode 1 had a still image with video generated caption IIRC. Then they aired Many Happy Returns as episode 2 instead of Chimes of Big Ben, then they showed A, B and C correctly as episode 3 but with an unintended 4 minute edit which removed nearly all the meeting with B. It was at this point that someone from Six of One appeared on Right to Reply and I think may have been from that point onwards that the break bumpers returned - although I only recall for sure they didn't appear on episode 1. They still made more mistakes and had it not been for lots of viewers reminding them they would have actually screened Once Upon a Time as episode 15

Before they started it looked like C4 was going to be TV Heaven with some much needed repeats of UK shows but they had a very rocky run. They started showing The Avengers from week one in a post midnight slot but only had very heavily cut versions and it took quite some time to get it sorted out which I think coincided with a move to saturday peaktime.
Focus II wrote:

Unless I've missed it, I'm surprised there was no mention of Gerry Anderson shows being revamped by popular demand following a campaign from NME readers' I recall.

These started with Joe 90, Stingray and Thunderbirds that gradually went through the ITV regions from 1981.

LWT had both Joe 90 and Thunderbirds on Saturday mornings.

Westward took Thunderbirds, the first episode they showed was "Alias Mr Hackenbacker"! ATV had Joe 90, I think on Monday afternoons.
The order in which the series made their way round the regions varied wildly. Some regions didn't air some of the series at all.
Focus II wrote:

Then came Space 1999 in 1982. In 1985 Captain Scarlet and Fireball XL5 returned. In 1986/1987 UFO.
Not sure about which other ones missed out but neither Anglia nor Central screened Space 1999 in the 80's. Not sure if they aired series 1 but TVS didn't repeat series 2 as it's well documented that the Southern / TVS region never saw Year 2 of the show on terrestrial until BBC2 aired it.
London viewers never saw UFO in the 80's and neither did STV viewers.
Focus II wrote:

The Champions returned to afternoons in 1984 followed by Man In A Suitcase in 1985, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) 1986/87 and The Baron.

Regions differed, not always showing the full series. Thunderbirds was replaced by Stingray rather quickly on Westward for example, as The Baron was dropped by Tyne Tees after a couple of episodes.
The Champions was an oddity in London. Along with the Brian Clemens Thriller series these are the only 2 occasions during that era That I can recall when the London broadcasters actually shared a bought in series . LWT showed 9 Champions on saturday mornings and some time later Thames aired the rest on weekday afternoons.

Granada always seemed to be first to rerun these shows. Randall aired on Anglia in late 87/early 88 but some were on saturday mornings and like most of the rest of the country the majority were weekday filler. I recorded the run from Anglia but missed one. I borrowed a tape from someone who had recorded the missing one and it was complete but the other 2 episodes on their tape had the pre credits sequences all edited out.
LWT repeats of Space 1999 were complete when it aired at 9.25 but partway through the run they moved it to 1130 so each one got cut by 5 minutes after that.
TVS refused to buy Randall or UFO but a well publicised campaign by TVS viewers sick of seeing them scheduled in other regions finally got them to give in and both shows appeared quite a while after the others and instead of weekday afternoon filler they used them to fill the newly arrived through the night schedule.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Blunderbirds wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:48 pm

Granada always seemed to be first to rerun these shows.
This may have been because of the ITV non-network film buyer Leslie Halliwell resided at Granada ?
His remit would have included ITC programmes as if they had been classed as ATV network programmes the other ITV companies
would have said something like "hey you have had your share of the network with ATV programmes"

So ITV companies could choose what they wanted and as we know when they transmitted them.

Apparently Haliwell got questioned by the IBA in the 70s about his continual enthusiasm for 'The Edgar Wallace Mysteries' as they could see no merit in showing them especially with the move to colour.

I think Halliwell moved to Ch4 in the early days hence it had all the familiar goodies?

I seem to recall that the rag 'The Exchange & Mart' (social media in the 70s LOL) use to have desperate-sounding adds on the lines of " has anyone in the Granada TV area recorded on Philips N1500 The Prisoner episode blah blah...will pay "
Of course, it started touring most of the country a year or so after.

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

I don't think Halliwell "moved" to C4. He purchased their films in addition to those of ITV. At the time C4 was owned by the ITV companies. IIRC his input to most of ITV was only for films intended for networking. An interview in a 1983 Video Viewer made it clear that he liked buying for C4 but was unsure what to do with many modern movies destined for ITV where the language was starting to become a problem - this was before ITV bailed out and began to buy very watered down US TV Versions.
Movies that often only appeared on a few regions seemed to be the choice of individuals for each region

brigham
D-MAC

Post by brigham »

I must have read a different Exchange and Mart.
Mine was a gigantic collection of classified ads.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

brigham wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:18 am
I must have read a different Exchange and Mart.
Mine was a gigantic collection of classified ads.

Quite right, but there were odd requests as well, I am pretty sure in the then short 'video' section amongst the mainly Philips video recorders for sale at that time there would be adds for recordings ....but yes of course it was a long time ago and I might have just imagined it now.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

fatcat wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:24 pm
I seem to recall that the rag 'The Exchange & Mart' (social media in the 70s LOL) use to have desperate-sounding adds on the lines of " has anyone in the Granada TV area recorded on Philips N1500 The Prisoner episode blah blah...will pay "
Of course, it started touring most of the country a year or so after.
I thought that "it" referred to Exchange & Mart when I first read this - I had visions of audiences flocking to theatres around the country to listen to an extended reading of classified ads!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I remember E&M having ads for TV shows, not surprisingly "Who" featured an awful lot!

I also remember that Halliwell interview ( I should still have it somewhere, although I thought it was in 'Home Video' mag or something like that, there were a lot good articles and interviews in those old Video mags.

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

Mark wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:41 pm
I remember E&M having ads for TV shows, not surprisingly "Who" featured an awful lot!

I also remember that Halliwell interview ( I should still have it somewhere, although I thought it was in 'Home Video' mag or something like that, there were a lot good articles and interviews in those old Video mags.
I kept all the old issues of Video World, Video Today and Video the Magazine from the 80's along with hardware mags too. Ditched them all in a 1999 house move but spent the last 10 years buying them all over again on ebay. Did the same with the various dvd magazines like DVD Review.

Pretty sure there was no magazine simply called HOME VIDEO but Video Viewer was one of the many magazines that covered Home Video although it strayed away from the main subject and covered upcoming movies on tv, usually C4 who seemed to schedule their films a month at a time and in advance enough for them to cover them. They were not able to do that for BBC or ITV. It was in among the C4 features where they chatted to Halliwell. IIRC (its in the loft) he named The Last Detail as a problem movie because of bad language towards the end. I think ITV continued to clumsily edit language for a few more years until it was impossible without making it look silly and that's when they switched to TV Versions.
BBC persisted with their own editing for longer although they didn't even try with Beverly Hills Cop where the purchase of the TV Version allowed them to give it a screening in a family viewing slot.