Dr Who Blu-Rays

What's not currently on the box
Simon36
HD

Dr Who Blu-Rays

Post by Simon36 »

Starting a Dr Who related thread, with some trepidation. I’ve been enjoying the classic series blu-ray boxes, but is it just me or is there no visible improvement in the film sequences? I can’t understand why blu-rays of things like The Sweeney look remarkable, but there’s no such dramatic improvement here? I understand that VT stuff can’t really be bettered but surely the whole point of blu-Ray is to at least make the elements that can be improved look wonderful?

John Williams
Committee

Re: Dr Who Blu-Rays

Post by John Williams »

It depends whether the original film sequences exist. For Seasons 10, 12 and 18, very little or nothing still exists. For Season 19, plenty of film sequences are still around which is why there's a dramatic improvement for that particular set.

There is an improvement for the studio VT scenes as well, but they are not HD. It's SD VT presented in the highest quality for the home market.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

John Williams wrote:It depends whether the original film sequences exist. For Seasons 10, 12 and 18, very little or nothing still exists. For Season 19, plenty of film sequences are still around which is why there's a dramatic improvement for that particular set.

There is an improvement for the studio VT scenes as well, but they are not HD. It's SD VT presented in the highest quality for the home market.

Apparently, the new blue rays of Monty Python are going to be good because people like Terry Gilliam kept his original cartoons etc.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

I've fallen behind with my Dr. Who appreciation.
I gave up on the current output ages ago, having accepted that I'm no longer part of the 'target audience'. But it seems there has been another spate of 'missing episode' animations released.
Why is no-one talking about them?

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

John Williams wrote:It depends whether the original film sequences exist. For Seasons 10, 12 and 18, very little or nothing still exists. For Season 19, plenty of film sequences are still around which is why there's a dramatic improvement for that particular set.

Ah, I see. Thanks for that. Odd perhaps that they didn’t launch with one that did have surviving original film sequences. Is it the case that none exist for most of the Pertwee and Baker years? I was wondering why the Spearhead from Space blu-Ray didn’t look that amazing either; presumably the same thing. Just have to hope that Deadly Assassin and Android Invasion film sequences have survived!

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

Simon36 wrote:Ah, I see. Thanks for that. Odd perhaps that they didn’t launch with one that did have surviving original film sequences. Is it the case that none exist for most of the Pertwee and Baker years? I was wondering why the Spearhead from Space blu-Ray didn’t look that amazing either; presumably the same thing. Just have to hope that Deadly Assassin and Android Invasion film sequences have survived!
They played safe with Season 12 - Tom Baker and the Daleks - to launch the series. HD took a back seat.

I think Spearhead from Space looks good, and it’s all on film so it does exist, but it’s 16mm, so will never scrub up as well as the 35mm ITC series.

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

This is a useful overview which mentions which stories have surviving 16mm film elements.

https://www.herocollector.com/en-us/Art ... definition

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

Also worth mentioning that it’s often the same people working on these TV blu-rays. The Professionals and the first series of The Sweeney were done on blu-ray by Jonathan Wood, who also did Spearhead from Space. I think they all look great for 16mm, but I guess different starting material generates different results.

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

John Williams wrote:
Simon36 wrote:Ah, I see. Thanks for that. Odd perhaps that they didn’t launch with one that did have surviving original film sequences. Is it the case that none exist for most of the Pertwee and Baker years? I was wondering why the Spearhead from Space blu-Ray didn’t look that amazing either; presumably the same thing. Just have to hope that Deadly Assassin and Android Invasion film sequences have survived!
They played safe with Season 12 - Tom Baker and the Daleks - to launch the series. HD took a back seat.

I think Spearhead from Space looks good, and it’s all on film so it does exist, but it’s 16mm, so will never scrub up as well as the 35mm ITC series.
Also some of "Spearhead from Space" is taken from a low contrast print, not the 16mm negative, due to trouble with a protective coating reacting with the fluid in a wet gate printer or telecine in the past.