Richard Branson TV series

What's not currently on the box
fatcat
D-MAC

Richard Branson TV series

Post by fatcat »

Does anyone remember a reality TV series hosted by Richard Branson? possibly late 90s

The basic premise was that Branson wanted only the best for some top jobs in his Virgin org.
So he would set them some tasks.

One of the tasks involved two hot air balloons about 10000ft up in the sky..the contenders had to walk a gangplank between the two into the other balloon ..once they had done this they then had to climb a rope ladder to sit on top of the balloon and have a cup tea with the utilities up on top of the balloon..of course they were blowing all over the place.

That was only one episode ..there were plenty of other extreme tasks to follow.

I thought at the time it was the most sensational piece of reality tv I had seen and there would be plenty of chat, interest and viewing figures to follow....however it just disappeared without a trace and cannot remember anybody anywhere mentioning it.
So I wondered if other people knew something I didn't.. ie it was fake or other reasons?

or maybe I dreamt it?

JezR
625 lines

Re: Richard Branson TV series

Post by JezR »

Sounds like "The Rebel Billionaire: Branson's Quest for the Best". Made for Fox in the USA in 2004, shown in the UK on ITV2. Mixed daredevil stunts with tasks more like the Apprentice, of which to a large extent it was derivative; Trump's verdict was '"I don't know the guy, but I think he's got zero personality and zero television persona." Didn't do well enough to be renewed.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Ah thanks that was it. I thought 'the tasks' were so impressive and quite sensational that would sell the series to a wider audience on its own.. also the fact that Branson would also take part in the task himself.

I recall another one where the young guy (and Branson) were going to go over Victoria Falls in a little sphere, they swung out the sphere on a winch to the edge of the falls and Branson said are you ready, (the guy naturally shitting himself) said yes and Branson replied something like, well we are not going, I have had a word with experts and they said we would probably be killed...so let that be a lesson to you young man in running a business, about assessing a situation yourself and getting the best advice first.....something like that anyway.

Trump was probably too giddy watching it LOL

stuartfanning
405 lines

Post by stuartfanning »

Here is the finale which I put on YouTube some years ago.

[YouTube link removed]

Only post links to official uploads by the copyright holders.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

stuartfanning wrote:Here is the finale which I put on YouTube some years ago.

[YouTube link removed]

Only post links to official uploads by the copyright holders.
Cheers Stuart for the thought