Favourite tale from the days of regional ITV?

What's not currently on the box
paul.austin
625 lines

Favourite tale from the days of regional ITV?

Post by paul.austin »

My favourite ITV regional franchise story is this:
Thames/LWT were showing something like Super Cup football from Africa in the late-night/overnight slot, so one chap got some beers in and invited his mates round to watch the game.
However, he lived in Royston in Hertfordshire, which is served by Anglia, and he hadn't checked this. Come 11.40 that evening, and instead of the match starting he and his pals saw... the epilogue on Anglia, followed by the station closing down for the night.
They were not too pleased...

Tim D
405 lines

Re: Favourite tale from the days of regional ITV?

Post by Tim D »

One of my favourites that I vaguely remember hearing somewhere was a story about ATV transmission.

I think it was when ATV was at Aston Cross in Birmingham. The story goes that they were screening a late-night film when one of the transmission team noticed that they could see through the window into a flat on the opposite side of the road in which a young couple was canoodling on the sofa. The room was dark and they couldn't quite see enough of what was going on, so when it became apparent that the couple's TV set was tuned to ATV, they started to gradually push up the luminance levels on the telecine to brighten up the glow coming from the television set and get a better view of the action.

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

Tim D wrote:One of my favourites that I vaguely remember hearing somewhere was a story about ATV transmission.

I think it was when ATV was at Aston Cross in Birmingham. The story goes that they were screening a late-night film when one of the transmission team noticed that they could see through the window into a flat on the opposite side of the road in which a young couple was canoodling on the sofa. The room was dark and they couldn't quite see enough of what was going on, so when it became apparent that the couple's TV set was tuned to ATV, they started to gradually push up the luminance levels on the telecine to brighten up the glow coming from the television set and get a better view of the action.
Story at https://www.bvws.org.uk/405alive/info/s ... tales.html405 Alive

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

I'd heard that story but about ATV in Foley Street London, which seems plausable because of the narrowness of the street and the height of the buildings around it

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I remember reading this once in a column by the journalist Hunter Davies, who comes from Carlisle. I presume it must have occurred during the Euro 96 football championships, when England and Scotland were drawn in the same group and played their final group matches simultaneously. The matches were scheduled to be shown on ITV.

This caused tremendous problems for Border Television, whose transmission area of course covered both England and Scotland. Their solution was to record the Scotland match and play it in full immediately after the England match, without revealing the result. This meant that they had to attempt to censor the commentary of the England match, and viewers heard things like "and it's good news from Villa Park where Scotland are one bleep bleep bleep..."

Tim D
405 lines

Post by Tim D »

That's the one. Thanks Nigel.