Britbox - UK version

What's not currently on the box
Controller 2957
625 lines

Britbox - UK version

Post by Controller 2957 »

Firstly, I wasn't impressed by the fact that you have to subscribe to the service BEFORE you can browse content. Anyway, I signed up and did several searches but came empty on the titles I was looking for. Seems like they're going for the low hanging fruit with nothing much for the serious enthusiast. I know 'our sort' aren't really the target demographic, but all the same... I know that more content is promised soon but unless they up their game fairly soon I'll be cancelling my subscription.
You see, no-one... NO-ONE escapes the new world!!

The Official Timeslip Website
http://www.timeslip.org.uk

drmih
625 lines

Re: Britbox - UK version

Post by drmih »

I saw that they are going to have every surviving episode of DW from January, including the animated stories, so I wonder whether they'll be funding new animations to provide 'original' content?

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

It is very poor at the moment, but I m optimistic it will improve vastly, eventually. Hopefully lessons have been learnt from BBC Store and having ITV and C4 onboard will help. They need to offer archive content and stuff that isn't on iplayer otherwise there is no point in the BBC being involved.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

If it's anything like the Canadian version, I'd give it a chance before you totally write it off. The Canadian version started off mildly ok but in the last 6 months or more they've been adding a whole bunch of content that I never expected them to add. I think the lack of some content has to do with rights issues.

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

The person I spent Christmas with started a free 30 day trial on Christmas Eve. Complete waste of time. A load of Doctor Who suddenly appeared. That hasn’t enhanced it for me, by might for some.

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

I took the free trial out of curiosity to see Dr Who. Everything is "filmised" so series made on tape look like they are on film. I believe this is because it's a streaming service rather than a standard broadcast and the loss of the VT look happens on all streaming services.
I'm unsure who it's aimed at though.
The BBC Store type archive material doesn't seem to be a consideration at the moment and the things they do show have either been on free services in recent years or have been on home video formats.
Everything is listed as being in HD. But it isn't of course.
Worst of all there are movies that should be HD but as they come from ITV they are still SD and titles like Whistle Down the Wind is listed as being remastered for HD but it's actually worse than the dvd. ITV have at least offered one treat which is their first HD restoration of one of their Carry On movies . Up the Khyber looks great in HD as do those movies that are genuine but the upscales look like what they are - SD and pretty bad SD at that.

They've already got on the PC bandwagon by making it clear they won't be offering It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Love Thy Neighbour or Til Death Us Do Part but this seems odd. This is a streaming service where you choose what you watch. You won't accidentally bump into "offensive" material like you would on broadcast tv.
If it's to get any long term success it needs major changes

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

I have signed up and have used Britbox to catch up on a few bits that I had previously missed (e.g. Rowan Atkinson's Maigret). But I am finding it a little odd that there is a slight conflict with the ITV Hub ...

One thing I was keen to see were the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes. They are not on Britbox (in fact, the ONLY Holmes present is the Michael Caine movie). I thought this rather odd as there had been several versions over the years. It then occurred to me to have a look on the ITV Hub and there is the whole of series one of Brett's Holmes.

Therefore, are any series that are on constant loops on ITV3/ITV4 being barred from Britbox: The Sweeney, The Professionals, etc?

But then... there are the programmes that could appear on both: vintage Doc Martin and Scott & Bailey (at least Britbox had the S&B episode that ITV3 won't show).

I am sure that there are many more examples and some from the BBC iPlayer.

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

I assume that ITV will get shows onto Britbox as soon as they can. I expect they will want as much on there as possible but as you say there is a conflict with ITV Hub (I think the pay version is also still ongoing creating even more conflict) but as with broadcast tv ITV seem to be steering clear of VT drama. Upstairs Downstairs is usually the only one that gets a look in. Many of the filmed long runners have been regular on ITV3 so perhaps they want a suitable break before the move to Britbox.

The Sweeney is of course a Thames / Euston show which means its owned by Fremantle which is separate from ITV. I would expect them to reach a deal to air old Thames shows but I'm not sure how important that is to them.
If they get round to The Professionals it will be interesting to see if they air the HD restorations or stick with the badly edited versions rinsed in swamp water that ITV4 screen

RayB
405 lines

Post by RayB »

"The Sweeney" S1-4 have recently appeared on the US version of Britbox - I'm not sure if they are remastered or HD (programme information is a bit limited). There is more content from 25+ years back on the US offering - the Thames/Freemantle archive is something that needs unlocking - or maybe Freemantle are going to enter the market with an offering of their own? (I wish).

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

US Britbox has been going a bit longer than the UK one so I expect it will have more and even once the UK one is well established it's likely to have a lot of different material to ours.

Although the entire Sweeney seems to have been remastered about 5 years ago in readiness for Bluray as in spruced up a lot (see the most recent dvd set) there are no HD masters beyond series 1.

RayB
405 lines

Post by RayB »

I've had a subscription to the US service since it began but there hasn't been too much in the way of movement - there's certainly more content on the UK version already and as far as I can tell, the US offering is strictly BBC & ITV, no hint of any other channel or content provider getting a look.

In respect of the UK version, I've seen the 90's series "This Life" being offered. It's also getting a re-airing on BBC4 at the moment...

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

I think there has been some kind of deal made at the BBC regarding availability of some programmes due to the BBC wishes of keeping things on Iplayer for up to a year.
I seem to recall that prior to the most recent series of Line of Duty the BBC wanted to make the first 4 available and in order to do that they had to rush a repeat onto BBC4 which resulted in them trashing the late night schedule for a week and screening 3 episodes a night from 1am of the series onto the channel completely unannounced. They did run it a couple of more times during or after Series 5 too and those screenings got listed in the Radio Times.
I assumed this was the reason for the repeat of This Life but I've not heard anything about them needing to do that to allow for Britbox.
I did record This Life yesterday as I only have the dvd's. I was hoping they might offer an HD version or change the old widescreen 14:9 compromise into a 16:9 version but they did neither

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

I tend to find more interesting things on Iplayer's "From The Archive" section. For instance they just put up series 6 onwards of Silent Witness.

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

Blunderbirds wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:19 pm

I assumed this was the reason for the repeat of This Life but I've not heard anything about them needing to do that to allow for Britbox.
I did record This Life yesterday as I only have the dvd's. I was hoping they might offer an HD version or change the old widescreen 14:9 compromise into a 16:9 version but they did neither
According to last night's continuity announcement BBC4 are repeating This Life as a tribute to Tony Garnett.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Thanks to Roobarb's for this useful link: https://tvrdb.com/britbox/

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:04 pm
I clicked on the link and almost the first thing I saw was a whopping great error. As I think I've mentioned previously on this forum, 42 Up was shown on BBC1 - not ITV!

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

I'd forgotten about the Roobarb Forum and how terrible it is. I had a look out of curiosity having been reminded of it and did a search for "Timeslip".
Before I could search I had to answer a "random question."
"Which 1984 David Lynch film was based on a series of novels by Frank Herbert?" I have no idea and don't intend using Google before reading a very poor forum. Idiots.

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

Brock wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:24 pm
Ian Wegg wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:04 pm
I clicked on the link and almost the first thing I saw was a whopping great error. As I think I've mentioned previously on this forum, 42 Up was shown on BBC1 - not ITV!
Someone noticed as it has been corrected. Although in this day and age of independent productions they original channel of broadcast seems almost irrelevant information. It was still made by Granada like the others which is what we need to know.
Good to see how far ITV have come in 20 years. From running scared from multi channel so much they claimed the channel had no slot for 42up and were so desperate for ratings they were running week long nights of Coronations Street sandwiches with Millionaire as the filling and losing viewers by not putting ITV onto Sky Digital initially they woke up and embraced multi channel airing thousands of hours of material that would never get an ITV1 slot anymore. And we got 3 nights of 63up + a documentary on the series too.
I'm assuming the complete overhaul of the old episodes so they now look half decent was more for their debut on Britbox than it was for the very nice and very good value Bluray edition Network recently released.

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

SgtPepper wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:28 pm
I'd forgotten about the Roobarb Forum and how terrible it is. I had a look out of curiosity having been reminded of it and did a search for "Timeslip".
Before I could search I had to answer a "random question."
"Which 1984 David Lynch film was based on a series of novels by Frank Herbert?" I have no idea and don't intend using Google before reading a very poor forum. Idiots.
The search system on the site is almost worthless.
But the forum does have useful info even if some of the members leave a lot to be desired

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

I don’t really want this to descend into Roobarb bashing, but I backed away years ago when a rather politically ranty member was openly giving advice (and unchallenged) on how to shoplift magazines from supermarkets.

To get back on topic, I’m wondering how Britbox are going to join in with the likes of Netflix, Amazon and even themselves (iPlayer, ITV Hub and My5) when it doesn’t have its own app for smart TVs and Firesticks etc. It appears to be limiting itself to PCs, phones and tablets.

Having said that, casting from the iPad to the telly is easy enough, but how many are aware of that feature?

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

Cole wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:02 am
I don’t really want this to descend into Roobarb bashing, but I backed away years ago when a rather politically ranty member was openly giving advice (and unchallenged) on how to shoplift magazines from supermarkets.

To get back on topic, I’m wondering how Britbox are going to join in with the likes of Netflix, Amazon and even themselves (iPlayer, ITV Hub and My5) when it doesn’t have its own app for smart TVs and Firesticks etc. It appears to be limiting itself to PCs, phones and tablets.

Having said that, casting from the iPad to the telly is easy enough, but how many are aware of that feature?
It does have an APP for some tv's. My Panasonic smart tv is the only place I can watch it on a decent size screen. Despite them promising and repeating when I actually phoned them that Britbox would be available by the end of last year on any device that offered Freeview Play it's still not available on my Bluray recorder or 4k player - and they're both Panasonic too. It would need to be available on one of those for me to get it back because those devices supply sound to my amp but the tv doesn't and I can't be bothered to mess about with leads etc to ensure it does

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

Apparently the first original material on Britbox is going to be a new series of Spitting Image. Strange choice considering it stopped being funny after the first two series.

brigham
D-MAC

Post by brigham »

SgtPepper wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:40 pm
Apparently the first original material on Britbox is going to be a new series of Spitting Image. Strange choice considering it stopped being funny after the first two series.
It's possibly aimed at a new generation. The idea is to bring a new audience to 'old' TV, not cater exclusively for the ones who saw it the first time.

RayB
405 lines

Post by RayB »

Cole wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:02 am

There is an app for Samsung smart TV's too and I understand there's now a dedicated app for Fire TV devices - much better than using the built-in Silk browser!

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

Got another 30 day trial as the new arrival of vintage kids tv sounded interesting but this is ITV we're talking about here so understandably if there was a better way to screw it all up I don't know what it is.

Anderson shows - per the rest of the service everything is listed as HD yet shows which are available on bluray in HD like Thunderbirds, Scarlet, Joe 90 etc are still SD only. Thunderbirds is cropped to 16:9 and they only include 10 episodes. The rest of Anderson suffers like the other new arrivals in possibly catching the eye of a newbie interested in paying to watch an old series only to find they only offer one episode. What's the point?
Timeslip has the first 6 part serial and some of the episodes include the opening ITC ident coupled with the ATV jingle which was included on the telerecordings of the US dvd release but on neither of the UK releases. It too is labelled as HD.

Catweazle is an oddity. The image itself does look improved and even close to HD but it must be the laziest upgrade ever as all the muck, dirt, dust etc we associate with 16mm LWT of the time is all still there.

If everything that could be HD (like all the movies) was genuine HD there would be a reason to subscribe but so many like all bar one of the Carry Ons + the Norman Wisdom films and so much more are grotty SD (some even starting with the Carlton caption of the 20 year old masters) it's not attractive.

Main problem remains lack of devices to get it. Despite a promise to be on all Freeview Play devices they tell me that Bluray and 4k players are not coming anytime soon although Now tv / Roku devices are being looked at.

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

I signed up for the trial when Timeslip appeared. Just for the sake of being able to watch it via a TV service, which is something I never expected. Little things etc.................. Pleased to see the app appear on the Firestick as well.