Coronation Street - boxed sets

What's not currently on the box
robinsmith
405 lines

Coronation Street - boxed sets

Post by robinsmith »

Saw the big gold Corrie box the other day for 'not very much money', but as I'm not a huge 'modern soap' fan, I thought something like the 60's (and at a push 70's) Network sets, would be probably the best selection.

The big gold box looked like it was mostly heavy with modern disaster episodes and compilations.

Are the gold boxes all smoke and mirrors, and the archavist should perhaps just get the 60's set, if they wanted any Corrie on their shelves?

ian b
D-MAC

Re: Coronation Street - boxed sets

Post by ian b »

IIRC only a couple of 60s episodes on the big box, and a bit of duplication with the Network sets for the 70s and 80s - though some episodes compliment the selection on those by being immediately before or after episodes.

The ad breaks have been chopped mind, but for (I'm guessing) a tenner in ASDA, it's worth while getting.

Network's 60s set should be a prerequisite for on any self-respecting archive tv buff's shelf, mind.

Ernest Grainger
405 lines

Post by Ernest Grainger »

I hear the ITV Gold box uses filmised versions of some episodes, which rather put me off. Or is it not that bad?

Lee Rose
405 lines

Post by Lee Rose »

It's sloppy. They did the same with Tram Crash. Ther was no logic to it either because they filmised the live episode and left another alone. Bizarre.

If you can find it for a tenner though, it's probably worth a look. My Asda has it for £20 when I checked. If it was a tenner, I'd have had it (I've already got the mini 3 disc version of the set and Network's 60s, 70s and 80s.)

VintageFan
405 lines

Post by VintageFan »

The ITV box set was a wasted opportunity. There's very little to interest archive fans. The few episodes from the 60s and 70s have all been previously released and only one of the 80s episodes-from 1985-is new to DVD. The 90s and noughties episodes are mainly unique to this set,although some are filmized. But so much space on the set is also given to those cheapo half hour clip fests that ITV did a few years back- and,again,these are heavily skewed to recent years.
Much better to invest in the Network sets,speaking of which when are we going to get some more classic Street from Network. Further volumes from the 60s and 70s and (early) 80s are long overdue. Or better still a continuous run of episodes like we've had with Emmerdale Farm and Crossroads. They could start from the very beginning or even the start of the colour era.

Lee Rose
405 lines

Post by Lee Rose »

I've love a good consecutive run, at least for the first few years. Those are my favourites, from what I've seen of them. The dialogue shines. That small selection of chronological episodes from 1960 were superb. It lost something when it went to just a selection of odd episodes from each year.