Vendetta 1966-68 - any hope of a DVD set ?

What's not currently on the box
billo
405 lines

Vendetta 1966-68 - any hope of a DVD set ?

Post by billo »

I used to love this show as a kid back in the sixties

The BBC Drama series is probably now best know for it's great John Barry theme tune however I believe BBC held six complete episodes before a seventh - 'The Jigsaw Man' (1968) was recovered in 2014

The complete soundtrack to a missing series two episode; 'The Suicide Man' (1967) - Featuring Angelo James - was recorded by a fan off air and has been posted here

[link removed as links to files not uploaded by the copyright holders is forbidden]

The show starred - sometimes alternately - Stelio Candelli as Danny Scipio, Neil McCallum as Angelo James and later Keiron Moore as Mike Hammond and ran for three series with I think 36 episodes in all

Is there any chance of a DVD set of the surviving full episodes plus that soundtrack does anyone know....?

Ian K McL
405 lines

Re: Vendetta 1966-68 - any hope of a DVD set ?

Post by Ian K McL »

I would really like to see the surviving episodes released on DVD. Simply used to release a lot of vintage TV shows though sadly there has not been a monochrome drama release from them since Les Miserables a year ago.

billo
405 lines

Post by billo »

yes indeed and while it might seem unlikely as just a mere seven episodes plus one missing episode's soundtrack are known to survive and would be available to include in any DVD set we should bear in mind that the surviving Vendetta episodes do exceed some released shows such as say 'The Zoo Gang' which was a mini series of only SIX episodes in total so any DVD set of what is held of 'Vendetta' would already exceed that show !

I have thanks to another poster on another forum found out a bit more about the show

The first two episodes starred Stelio Candelli as Danny Scipio with opening episode titled; 'The Sugar Man'

while the third episode 'The Widow Man' introduced series co-lead star Neil McCallum as Angelo James - Danny Scipio making a brief closing scene cameo

Stelio Candelli's ill health had forced the quick creation of a alternating lead and while most of series one featured either Scipio or James plus joint episodes it was noticeable that Neil McCallum took the sole lead in about four consecutive episodes presumably filmed while Candelli was unwell

in the show they covered this by doing an episode where Danny Scipio is shot in the side but manages to hold a wanted Mafia figure at gunpoint in a rail car on a deserted junction line for most of the story until help arrives at the very end of the episode - this must have been filmed when Candelli was recovered but then screened ahead of the four earlier filmed 'Angelo James' featured consecutive episodes so the absence of Danny Scipio was explained as him (also) recovering from his gunshot wound away in hospital - a joint Scipio / James featured episode then followed where Scipio is sown to still be feeling the effects of his recent wound...

Series two has either Scipio or James featured episodes - 'The Suicide Man' is an Angelo James episode - plus some joint Scipio / James episodes too

Series Three opens the same way but about four episodes in 'The Hit And Run Man' (which I think is one that may survive in the BBC archive) is Neil McCallum's final appearance where Angelo James must be the victim of a hit and run deliberate attack - I believe James does recover but is unable to continue his 'vendetta' activities - tho' James friend American Mike Hammond (Kieron Moore) on arriving from the USA is so angered he joins in place of James to help Danny Scipio from there on...

a remaining two series three episodes feature Scipio / Hammond plus two Mike Hammond featured episodes and the last two series episodes feature Danny Scipio as at the beginning

Ian K McL
405 lines

Post by Ian K McL »

Very interesting thanks - for that. I love BBC drama series of the 1960s. Adam Adamant Lives! is my all time second favourite TV series. It is interesting that so many of that series survives compared to Vendetta. However Ryan International exists complete and I asked Simply to think of releasing it but they declined.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

You posted the question in a few different places. But if you have a good reason for wanting to see them, more than just superficial curiosity, then you could book a viewing session at the BFI on appointment. You'd have to be in London or possibly a few affiliated places would do as well.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Ian K McL
405 lines

Post by Ian K McL »

I am just interested in the television shows that were shown during my lifetime. Unfortunately at this time my poor health does not really allow me to travel very far from home any more. Many thanks though for your post. It is much appreciated,

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Sorry to hear that you are unwell, namesake - hope recovery is in the horizon?

I'm afraid you are mistaken about RYAN INTERNATIONAL - the first episode is missing, and only b/w film recordings of the other nine survive.

billo
405 lines

Post by billo »

I also enjoyed Ryan International - Kieron Moore's next BBC Series starring him as Hugh Ryan of an International law firm with Cyril Luckham as his partner plus Ursula Howells (playing Cyril's wife I think) and Susan Shears as their legal secretary

BBC screened them on Monday nights if I remember correctly

I didn't realise there was just TEN episodes, tho' running weekly over a ten week period would have seemed quite a long series back then

pity they don't put out both Vendetta and Ryan International DVD sets of the surviving episodes

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Ian K McL wrote:I am just interested in the television shows that were shown during my lifetime. Unfortunately at this time my poor health does not really allow me to travel very far from home any more. Many thanks though for your post. It is much appreciated,
Yes it is not much help I fear. It's probably a bridge too far for most people regardless of health anyway.
Although, like I said, if there is a university or institution nearby you, that is affiliated to the BFI, then you might still stand a chance.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'd love to see these series released as well, there are still plenty of classic 60's series that should be available, "Maigret" and "The Troubleshooters" to name but two more.

I think the last sighting of "Vendetta" may have been a clip shown in the BBC Four Radiophonic Workshop documentary a few years ago, which reminds me, John Bakers music cues for the series survive, there were some at least, as featured on 'The Vendetta Tapes' album , they gave the series a great 60's buzz!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Spiny Norman wrote:You posted the question in a few different places. But if you have a good reason for wanting to see them, more than just superficial curiosity, then you could book a viewing session at the BFI on appointment. You'd have to be in London or possibly a few affiliated places would do as well.
There used to be something like this at the Bradford TV and film museum, although it was never open when I was there.
You had to book in, and be present on-site, and select your choice from a huge wad of type-written sheets. You then sat in something resembling a language lab to watch your item, start to finish, once per appointment.
I'm not sure if you could take notes.
It was trumpeted as something 'new' and 'wonderful' and a wonder of our hi-tech age, even having an unpronounceably-forgettable 'buzz-word' of a name.
They might as well have been announcing a new service of horse-buses...

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

brigham wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:You posted the question in a few different places. But if you have a good reason for wanting to see them, more than just superficial curiosity, then you could book a viewing session at the BFI on appointment. You'd have to be in London or possibly a few affiliated places would do as well.
There used to be something like this at the Bradford TV and film museum, although it was never open when I was there.
You had to book in, and be present on-site, and select your choice from a huge wad of type-written sheets. You then sat in something resembling a language lab to watch your item, start to finish, once per appointment.
I'm not sure if you could take notes.
It was trumpeted as something 'new' and 'wonderful' and a wonder of our hi-tech age, even having an unpronounceably-forgettable 'buzz-word' of a name.
They might as well have been announcing a new service of horse-buses...
Well, of course now it's 2020, but then even today there's still a lot of stuff that you can't buy or stream, so...
It's for the obsessed few but those few were happy to have at least that.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Spiny Norman wrote:Well, of course now it's 2020...
It was a joke at the time, and I said so at the time.
What a boon it would have been in the 1960s. What a step forward in wider-access television.
Just think of how much now-lost material would have survived in its inventory.

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

ian b wrote:Sorry to hear that you are unwell, namesake - hope recovery is in the horizon?
Likewise. Hope you get well soon Ian M.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

brigham wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:Well, of course now it's 2020...
It was a joke at the time, and I said so at the time.
What a boon it would have been in the 1960s. What a step forward in wider-access television.
Just think of how much now-lost material would have survived in its inventory.
Uhm... depending on what year we're talking about, how was it a joke? Options were very very limited until 15, even 10 years ago.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Opened On 19th July 2013.
By which time cheap DVD had supplanted expensive VHS, and internet access was as widespread as gas and electricity.
It was perfectly clear by now that archives were to be stored electronically, and retrieved using a personal computer via the internet. (The archives available for the 'new' service were, in fact, so stored).
Against this background, the Bradford museum launched its 'new, exciting' outside lavatory.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

brigham wrote:Opened On 19th July 2013.
By which time cheap DVD had supplanted expensive VHS, and internet access was as widespread as gas and electricity.
It was perfectly clear by now that archives were to be stored electronically, and retrieved using a personal computer via the internet. (The archives available for the 'new' service were, in fact, so stored).
Against this background, the Bradford museum launched its 'new, exciting' outside lavatory.
Alright, 2013, point taken...

I suppose (trying to find the positive point) "right-wise" it was probably quite savvy...

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

It was the launch of it that grabbed my attention. If they had announced it as a way to see, even fleetingly, things that were hidden by man-made 'rights' issues, then I would have been cheering. But they chose to present it as a new way to see old material; which it undoubtedly was, although a distinctly poor one.
Coupled with the fact that most of the inventory was already available on DVD, (and much of it in my library), and I gained a lasting, but negative impression.