The best place to order DVD's...

What's not currently on the box
Xrds1895
405 lines

The best place to order DVD's...

Post by Xrds1895 »

I've been a long time devotee of play.com but, sadly, the company is on its way out and will soon only be a marketplace rather than selling new stock.
One of the best things about play.com was the fact that, nine times out of ten, DVD's would turn up the Saturday before the Monday they were officially released. Now it may only be 48 hours but to be able to watch new purchases during the weekend rather than watching them exhausted after a days work was always a great thing. The last few releases from Play have turned up a few days after their official release date and, in the case of Dr.Who-The Reign of Terror, over a week late.

So, where would clubbers suggest buying DVD's based on speed of delivery, price and any other criteria?

didi-5
625 lines

Re: The best place to order DVD's...

Post by didi-5 »

The best place to order DVDs (no ' ) for me remains Amazon, despite their dodgy tax position. I generally get things as close to release as possible and I buy a lot of Marketplace titles, which I have always found cheaper than Play Trade and the like. And for Network releases I do support their own site, but less often at full prices. Simply/DVD Gold have started to annoy me a bit so I have dropped them.

Xrds1895
405 lines

Post by Xrds1895 »

Cheers Didi. I often heard that HMV were good for obtaining discs a little early but, given their current circumstances, I don't imagine that will be the case now!

Michael
625 lines

Post by Michael »

I noticed the other week that SendIt.com have scrapped their postage charges again and got the Reign of Terror for a couple of quid less than Amazon were asking for it. I've also got Ark in Space and The Aztecs on pre-order there for £11.99.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Michael wrote:I noticed the other week that SendIt.com have scrapped their postage charges again and got the Reign of Terror for a couple of quid less than Amazon were asking for it. I've also got Ark in Space and The Aztecs on pre-order there for £11.99.
But have they improved their delivery? Last time I ordered a Dr Who from them I gave up 2 weeks after release when they were still "Awaiting stock". Let us know how those orders go, please.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

For Network stuff, the best and cheapest place to order is from Network itself. Annoyingly they won't take orders until release day, which means waiting a couple more days. Ideally they'd take orders from the Wednesday before so they arrive on release day or even before.

For films, MovieMail are the best company. You'll generally get stuff the Saturday before release, they'll send you a good monthly magazine and you can save up bonus points for £5 discounts. They're also a family firm and you know the name and face of the person you're dealing with. And unlike Amazon they don't dodge tax or hire neo-Nazis to intimidate workers.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Surely the best place to buy DVDs is from a physical shop? Yes, you'll pay more, but you can be pretty confident that they won't be dodging tax *and* you won't be contributing to the long slow death of retail (and the accompanying redundancies) that the growth of online shopping has engendered.

Alan Hayes
625 lines

Post by Alan Hayes »

GarethR wrote:Surely the best place to buy DVDs is from a physical shop? Yes, you'll pay more, but you can be pretty confident that they won't be dodging tax *and* you won't be contributing to the long slow death of retail (and the accompanying redundancies) that the growth of online shopping has engendered.
All very well in theory, but definitely a case of too little too late. Let's face it, it will soon be impossible to find anything other than the big chart titles on the high street. It's inevitable and to be honest, those high street retailers that are going or gone should have been fairer with their customers in the past. HMV regularly charge above RRP on the high street and have done for countless years, so basically, they don't deserve my custom (and I do feel for those losing their jobs, not least because I don't currently have one myself!).

As for recommending a reliable, affordable company that is above board and has the personal touch, try Ludovico Institute on ebay or their online shop at http://www.first4dvd.co.uk/ - often cheaper than Network on new releases. Great service.

gallifreyan
405 lines

Post by gallifreyan »

GarethR wrote:Surely the best place to buy DVDs is from a physical shop? Yes, you'll pay more, but you can be pretty confident that they won't be dodging tax *and* you won't be contributing to the long slow death of retail (and the accompanying redundancies) that the growth of online shopping has engendered.
Given that the nearest actual physical shop that I might stand some chance of getting a disc I wanted is a 40 mile round trip for me, nope Amazon/Zavvi/Play et all beat that into a cocked hat.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Alan Hayes wrote:
GarethR wrote: All very well in theory, but definitely a case of too little too late. Let's face it, it will soon be impossible to find anything other than the big chart titles on the high street
That may well be true, but the reality is still that the growth of online shopping is directly linked to the death of retail. There's no way around it, we're throwing people onto the dole because we want stuff cheap.

I'm just as guilty of that as anyone here, and it bothers me. I take a very small measure of comfort from the fact that I don't place pre-orders and then change them if a different online retailer offers the item 2p cheaper (which I know some DW fans do).

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Ross wrote:For Network stuff, the best and cheapest place to order is from Network itself. Annoyingly they won't take orders until release day, which means waiting a couple more days. Ideally they'd take orders from the Wednesday before so they arrive on release day or even before.

For films, MovieMail are the best company. You'll generally get stuff the Saturday before release, they'll send you a good monthly magazine and you can save up bonus points for £5 discounts. They're also a family firm and you know the name and face of the person you're dealing with. And unlike Amazon they don't dodge tax or hire neo-Nazis to intimidate workers.
Network need to sort out their ordering arrangements. I have no problem with paying a bit more to buy from 'source', as it were; but showing nice shiny 'coming soon' images without an 'order now' button is just poor management.

I'd never even heard of MovieMail. Lots of old obscure titles-just my thing. I've sent them a trial order.

Amazon is still my 'default' setting. They keep prices low by operating out of low-tax locations, in much the same way as manufacturers use low-pay low-safety working environments. One day it'll all end, and we'll be back to Durham coal and Durham prices. Enjoy it while you can.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

I'm not sure anything could have halted the decline of the high street DVD retailer. Let's face it the online stores have been around an awful long time now and retailers have failed to respond to a threat that was staring them in the face. Yes, it's sad to see stores like HMV go. They tried hard. But really they were murky hell holes offering a bewildering choice. And if you got that far you then had to join a hellish mile long queue like begging for bread in a third world country. It's no wonder people get fed up and buy online instead. Nobody likes being treated like cattle.

SteveBoyce
405 lines

Post by SteveBoyce »

I was also a play.com devotee. Rakuten are crazy to think that they can keep it going as a marketplace, it's dead.

I don't "approve" of Amazon but it's the last man standing.

didi-5
625 lines

Post by didi-5 »

MovieMail are a great, friendly company. I don't use them as much as I used to, but I have never had a problem with them.

Alan Hayes
625 lines

Post by Alan Hayes »

GarethR wrote:That may well be true, but the reality is still that the growth of online shopping is directly linked to the death of retail. There's no way around it, we're throwing people onto the dole because we want stuff cheap.
Yes, it's directly linked, in the same way that the growth of mobile phones is directly linked to the death of the public payphone. You can't avoid it. It's progress. And for jobs lost on the high street, there have been jobs created in fulfillment facilities (I don't doubt it's not like for like in terms of numbers, of course). Don't forget that some of "our type" of retail chains (MVC, Our Price, VIrgin/Zavvi) were lost long ago and not just because of online retail. Supermarkets must bear a large chunk of the blame for killing the high street as must local councils and landlords who have been exceptionally greedy with high street business rates which are forcing any number of smaller and not-so-small concerns out of business.

On the other side of the coin, without the rise of online retail, would we still have the Royal Mail, I wonder?

Chris Orton
405 lines

Post by Chris Orton »

Ross wrote:For Network stuff, the best and cheapest place to order is from Network itself.
Network aren't always cheapest - Ludovico Institute http://www.first4dvd.co.uk/ are often a bit cheaper and are very reliable in my experience.

BBC Shop is very good too and is now my default retailer for all Who titles.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

I predict that in the long term, sales of physical media or downloads will become peer-to-peer. For that reason, I'm very interested by developments at Network at the moment. The trick seems to be to attain recognition of the producer-as-source from the potential customer base, without having to sink huge amounts into advertising - recognition as a primary source by search engines is essential to this.

Online retailers, esp. Amazon, are able to take advantage of their positions as first ports of call for browsing customers, particularly when they were one of the first to market with an effective customer rating system. However, I imagine the likes of Amazon are not insensible to the development of direct peer-to-peer / producer-to-customer commerce, hence the investment in Kindle, the 'locking' of customers into such a tool, and, the development of Kindle into audio-visual streaming/download devices in future.

Personally, I like to order from producers when I can and am also a fan of the likes of Movie Mail for their added content, but it's very hard to avoid big discounts when they're available. As far as the High Street is concerned, I think that times change. My tastes are so out of the mainstream that I very seldom see stuff that interests me in today's media outlets and who is going to put in a special order at RRP, when it's so easy to buy online?

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Richard A wrote:...sales of physical media or downloads will become peer-to-peer... to attain recognition of the producer-as-source from the potential customer base... recognition as a primary source... one of the first to market with... not insensible to the development of direct peer-to-peer / producer-to-customer commerce... the 'locking' of customers into such a tool.. for their added content...
It sounds like you're auditioning for The Apprentice.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Alan Hayes wrote: Yes, it's directly linked, in the same way that the growth of mobile phones is directly linked to the death of the public payphone
I'd say it's similar but different. Mobiles are ubiquitous enough that pretty much everybody has one now, so inevitably that's had an effect on the need for public payphones. That said, even in the days before mobiles, I very rarely used public payphones anyway, and that probably goes for a lot of people. We just had to prearrange meeting times and places, and stick to them :)

The death of retail, or at least of certain categories of retail, is something subtly different. It's a demonstration that we're all Thatcher's children now; give people the choice of getting the exact same thing cheaper, and of course they'll take it, without considering that the cheaper option is cheaper mainly because whoever's offering it has slashed their overheads - in the case of online retail, by utilising fewer staff, no physical shop premises, and (in some cases) exploiting tax loopholes. And not everyone can take advantage either, because not everyone has access to or is comfortable using electronic means of payment - lots of people still prefer going to a real shop and handing over cash.

Richardr1
405 lines

Post by Richardr1 »

GarethR wrote:The death of retail, or at least of certain categories of retail, is something subtly different. It's a demonstration that we're all Thatcher's children now; give people the choice of getting the exact same thing cheaper, and of course they'll take it, without considering that the cheaper option is cheaper mainly because whoever's offering it has slashed their overheads - in the case of online retail, by utilising fewer staff, no physical shop premises, and (in some cases) exploiting tax loopholes. And not everyone can take advantage either, because not everyone has access to or is comfortable using electronic means of payment - lots of people still prefer going to a real shop and handing over cash.
It is not just price, and I suspect that few people really shop around online.

Online there is the choice - most of what I buy, either music or Video, was never available in the local shops, which by virtue of size had a limited stock at all times.

Secondly there is time, I can now shop for a CD in a minute or two.

Thirdly, although I buy CDs, the bulk of the market has moved to downloadable music. Again technology, not price. The same is happening in video, with Sky, Virgin Media, Lovefilm, Netflix, Blickbox and others.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Ross wrote:It sounds like you're auditioning for The Apprentice.
The Apprentice? What's that then?

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Richard A wrote:
A television game show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Appren ... TV_series)

It's full of aspiring young businesspeople who talk in nonsensical management jargon.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

Richard A wrote:
Seriously? You're professing complete ignorance of one of the biggest and most popular BBC TV series of the past 8 years?

Alan Hayes
625 lines

Post by Alan Hayes »

I wish I was in a position to profess ignorance of it...

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

It's fantastic. Entirely predictable, but fantastic. Pure crack TV.

RobinCarmody
625 lines

Post by RobinCarmody »

GarethR wrote:And not everyone can take advantage either, because not everyone has access to or is comfortable using electronic means of payment - lots of people still prefer going to a real shop and handing over cash.
Indeed, but if your tastes (in whichever field) are non-mainstream, not everyone has the equal ability to do that. If you live in or near a major city, great, if you don't, much less so.

Amazon's practices bother me as much as they bother anyone here and probably more than many, but for those of us with non-mainstream tastes living in non-metropolitan areas, the internet really has changed our lives. I'm not sure city dwellers, who used to have an inherent advantage in access to non-mainstream products which they've now pretty much lost, really appreciate that.

If there were shops selling the sort of things I'm interested in in my nearest towns then *of course* I would use them, but there never really were, and there certainly won't be now. I always suspect that people with non-mainstream tastes who *do* have a strong affection for the physical shop lived around major cities in the pre-internet days - in non-metropolitan areas people with such tastes mostly relish the fact that there's now a level playing field and they're not inherently disadvantaged in terms of access anymore.

Amazon in some ways - in terms of embodying the dichotomy of capitalism, and specifically Marx's theory about global capitalism being more progressive than the stuff it swept away in rural and never-industrialised areas - reminds me of the offshore radio stations of 1964-67. Not progressive in itself, but *enabling* progressive things and bringing them to a new audience as the offshore stations did with Motown and Stax. The main difference, of course, is that (as you acknowledge) Amazon has British government and establishment approval in a way its closest equivalent in the 1960s did not.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

GarethR wrote:
Richard A wrote:
Seriously? You're professing complete ignorance of one of the biggest and most popular BBC TV series of the past 8 years?
Another pre-requisite for British citizenship, I imagine.

SteveBoyce
405 lines

Post by SteveBoyce »

Richard A wrote: However, I imagine the likes of Amazon are not insensible to the development of direct peer-to-peer / producer-to-customer commerce, hence the investment in Kindle, the 'locking' of customers into such a tool, and, the development of Kindle into audio-visual streaming/download devices in future.
You are completely right on that front I am very sure. Unfortunately.

Michael
625 lines

Post by Michael »

Brian F wrote:
Michael wrote:I noticed the other week that SendIt.com have scrapped their postage charges again and got the Reign of Terror for a couple of quid less than Amazon were asking for it. I've also got Ark in Space and The Aztecs on pre-order there for £11.99.
But have they improved their delivery? Last time I ordered a Dr Who from them I gave up 2 weeks after release when they were still "Awaiting stock". Let us know how those orders go, please.
In a word: no. It's still not posted yet according to the online order status. I think I'm just going to cancel it and get it from somewhere else.

I don't usually worry about getting pre-order items close to the release date - especially if the price is significantly lower as it was here (£11.99). It's not like I don't have plenty of other things needing my attention (I'm still ploughing my way through the titles I bought in the Networks pre-Christmas sale). But the fact that SendIt are no longer listing the title at all at any price is just too odd.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Received my first order from MovieMail today. Not the fastest at six days, but nothing was exactly urgent. Good stout packaging.

I'll be ordering again.