"The Stranger" - early Australian sci-fi rediscovered

What's not currently on the box
Spiny Norman
D-MAC

"The Stranger" - early Australian sci-fi rediscovered

Post by Spiny Norman »

It's been mentioned on other sites but not here yet, so... "Australia's answer to Doctor Who" - a scifi TV series from 1964 called "The Stranger".

Recently, it's been rediscovered, cleaned up, digitized, and everything. Now all 12 episodes are on youtube (legally even).

See full news bulletin here.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Private Frazer
625 lines

Re: "The Stranger" - early Australian sci-fi rediscovered

Post by Private Frazer »

This will be very interesting; thanks.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

I wonder why it is running at 24 fps though.
This is nøt å signåture.™

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Perhaps there's to be a blu-ray release.
Running at 24fps seems to be a fad at the moment.

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

Looks like they spliced the originally prints of the the filmed sequences into the film recordings of the VT of the rest of the production. Better quality and no out of phase problems.

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Well, it's interesting, I'll give you that. Shades of An Unearthly Child. But what on earth was going on with the editing. You constantly think bits of the story are missing. But then you imagine they were never made, because they then have to recap the leaps in the plot in the next scene. It's very strange. My favourite scene has to be in episode two when the thirty year old children are hiking in the Blue Mountains and pause to scan the valley with their binoculars, only to be stunned when they see an alien spacecraft about 10ft away. Work that one out.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

Thanks for the heads up on this. I watched a bit and it looks interesting so will have to check this out later today.

Captain Peacock
405 lines

Post by Captain Peacock »

This is EXCELLENT news! I have very clear memories of this series from my childhood: broadcast on BBC1 in 1965 around 5pm IIRC. I still have an off-air recording of the opening theme (ep.2 onwards) on a reel of tape.

All I need now is a DVD release of the TV series Iron Horse starring Dale Robertson and that's all my childhood TV favourites released on DVD. Sony WERE going to release it but that was eight years ago and so far, diddly squat!

CP.

Ian K McL
405 lines

Post by Ian K McL »

Good News Captain Peacock. Iron Horse is due to be released by Elephant Films in France next month. You can order a copy from Amazon.fr Happy viewing!

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

I've been watching this over the past few days and so far enjoying it (just finished ep 3 yesterday). It's an interesting piece of archive television but I do know what you mean about the jumps in editing and scripting. The writing reminds me a bit of something someone with little writing experience has written with giant leaps in logic and parts of the plot missing or contrived to suit the overall story. Because of the age of the piece, I'm willing to forgive this, but I'm curious to see what happens.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Anyone have any idea what format the show was recorded on? Was it 35mm film inserts and 35mm telerecorded studio video? I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) at the time Australia werent really using videotape?