A question for the TV experts

What's not currently on the box
paul.austin
625 lines

A question for the TV experts

Post by paul.austin »

When should a TV writer refer to a show as being by ITV, rather than a regional company (Granada, Yorkshire, Thames and etc.). I'd be tempted to draw the dividing line at 1993 when Carlton and Meridian, the first "publisher-broadcasters" became contractors. Another possibility is 1999 when "Carlton Central" and "Carlton Westcountry" were created. The latest possible dates are 2002 when regional identity on networked programming was dropped or 2004 when Granada and Carlton merged

stearn
Committee

Re: A question for the TV experts

Post by stearn »

I'd says the context was everything. Made by ITV, is too general for anything pre ITV plc., and even after that, it is most likely to have been made for ITV by an independent. Transmitted on ITV is slightly different as that can go back to the earliest days where programmes were shown on the Network, but if it was something region specific, I'd be saying that. You also have anomalies like Thames still producing material for ITV (The Bill) after they had lost their franchise. It comes down to how good the writer is (or you, as a writer, want to be).

There was a history of Channel 4 recommended (on here, I think) last year. A very good book, but there were some sloppy mistakes - C4 presentation, soon after the station started, picking up the Radio Times to see what was supposed to be on. No, RT didn't carry C4 schedules until March 1991, so it was just an assumption by the author that RT has always carried everything. Another was Porterhouse Blues (plural) mentioned a couple of times. Obviously hasn't read the book or watched it to know what the Porterhouse Blue actually was.

I am less likely to trust an author if I spot obvious errors like those throughout a book as it makes me wonder what else is wrong that I don't have prior knowledge of.

yellowtriumph
405 lines

Post by yellowtriumph »

Point of order Mr Chairman, post 1993 the programme companies became licence holders in their areas, they were no longer referred to as programme contractors.

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

Just been watching Touching Evil from 1997 and surprised to see that ends with a caption saying it was an Anglia Television production so regional identity was still around then. Difficult to have a single cut off date because the gradual morphing of the regions into a single ITV went side by side with the increase in productions made by independents for ITV so best check the idents at the end. Can't recall the dates but I'm guessing that some would have been productions made by "ITV" but at the same time others would keep the name like "Central for ITV" during the same period. But I think generally it was post 2000 before it really properly went under one roof. Before that you did have some of the takeovers like Granada buying LWT but in the late 90's Granada and Carlton were still separate entities. Granada joined forces with Sky to create Granada + for satellite while Carlton went on a buying spree so they could fill their 2 On Digital pay channels for terrestrial. It was a few years before they completely became one