Original Jackanory props

What's not currently on the box
Jules63
405 lines

Original Jackanory props

Post by Jules63 »

Hi everyone.

When my father worked on The Money Programme for the BBC when I was a kid, they shared a studio with Jackanory (they could use a corner of a large studio apparently).

One day when leaving work he saw Jackanory had thrown lots of props, giant polystyrene gold coins - pictured in links below - into a skip. He brought two of them home for me and I still have them. Can anyone tell me what story they are from? He cannot remember the year at all.

The larger coin is maybe 2 feet across in size.

http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk/01041.jpg
http://www.sterling.rmplc.co.uk/01042.jpg

Jules

Mark
Committee

Re: Original Jackanory props

Post by Mark »

That's interesting, 1960's or 70's?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Jules63
405 lines

Post by Jules63 »

Well I was born in 1963 so it would probably be late 1960s or early 1970s.

I wrote to the long-time producer of Jackanory, Anna Home, and she kindly wrote back to me but said she could not remember the coins at all.

I have often thought that as the coins are marked One Crown and Half Crown, it was something to do with a royal fortune or similar. I guess my only hope is finding a Jackanory fan.

TV was very ephemeral in those days (according to my Dad). You did a programme and threw everything away (or took it home) and moved on. There was no idea - until about the early 1970s he says - that there might be the possibility to sell programmes again one day on some kind of home tape-format, so little was kept.

Jules

Rory Clark
405 lines

Post by Rory Clark »

Jules63 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:45 am
I have often thought that as the coins are marked One Crown and Half Crown, it was something to do with a royal fortune or similar. I guess my only hope is finding a Jackanory fan.
Going through Kaleidoscope's TV Brain database the only thing I can find that comes near is episode four of 'The Otterbury Incident', titled 'The Clue Of The Bitten Half-Crown' but the TX date is 20/10/1983, so maybe too late for your recollection. At least it exists, so if you could get hold of a copy, you'd know for sure.
... and a right looking ponce no one's ever heard of.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

It's not that Rory. Narrated by Martin Jarvis, it has illustrations and it is a standard writing desk and study background set - no coins to be seen.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Wonder if it was a "Jackanory Playhouse", started in 72, but can't see anything that might fit.

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

I would have thought it would have been before or soon after decimalisation, when children still remembered Half Crowns.

Jules63
405 lines

Post by Jules63 »

Thanks for the replies.

I have asked my Dad (who is 80 now) again for any more info on the coins he can remember. He says (the square brackets are my additions):

"I brought them home from Lime Grove [studios]... they probably are [from Jackanory] because Jackanory used to have a corner of Studio D from which we transmitted Tonight [1975 onwards] and in which I made "Grand Strategy" [1972 - https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/dc10390da1f ... 40c57bb390].

I think I actually got them from a skip in Smiths Yard - they were thrown out anyway. It is possible that I picked them out of the skip when I was on the Money Programme - 1972 - 1975; we were also in Studio D then, though I do not recall Jackanory being in there [then}. My best guess would be about 1972. I brought them home for you as a decoration."

It's all a long time ago and it's a small thing to ask my Dad to remember .... I suppose we can't even be 100% it was Jackanory as the coins were in a skip but that seems to fit.

Jules63
405 lines

Post by Jules63 »

So, looking at IMDB for the 1972 Jackanory stories (there were only seven that year), and also let's take 1971 and 1973 for good measure, one story does stand out as a possible candidate.

3rd Jan 1972 - The Jester who Fooled a King, read by Bernard Cribbins. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1889013/?ref_=ttep_ep1

Fortunately, someone has put the original story it was taken from, read by Wendy Craig, on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0UMT_mmJpQ. The story, of which the Jackanory rendering was an "adaptation", specifically mentions the King's gold crowns at 1:27.

This Jackanory seems to have had actors in it so I guess it was a play of some kind. The King was played by Philip Julian, and according to IMDB this was his only acting role - ever (also for two of the other actors). They say everyone has their 15 minutes of fame (Andy Warhol?) and this episode was...15 minutes long. It was Tom Merrifield's (Matenko) last ever acting job.

I'm kind of thinking this episode might be the one but I'd love to be able to confirm it. I think it is one of the lost or rather "not-kept" ones though.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Could well be that one, then!

It's great that the props survive...the treasure that could be found in BBC skips!

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Jules63 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:50 am
It's all a long time ago and it's a small thing to ask my Dad to remember .... I suppose we can't even be 100% it was Jackanory as the coins were in a skip but that seems to fit.
Your dad found these pre-decimal coin props in a skip while he was working on The Money Programme in 1972? Hmm, I just wonder if we're missing something obvious! :)

Anyway, I hope you find the answer, fascinating things to have.

Jules63
405 lines

Post by Jules63 »

We did consider the possibility that the coins were from the Money Programme, but Dad course was working on that so would surely know if they were from it.

Also, looking at them they look more "fairy tale" than proper currency. There was no "crown" coin by 1972, only half-crown anyway so the Jackanory idea fits far better, and they would surely have been silver, not gold as they are.

I remember Dad taking me to work with him (mostly at Lime Grove) and he would take me through the studio-set storage area on the way to the canteen at lunch time. I was most excited to find the round window, arch window and square window from Play School, pushed away in a corner of the storage. They were one piece - just plywood, no glass and not even painted on the back. I was looking round them for Big Ted and Little Ted but Dad said they were probably kept somewhere else.

Whilst he was working he would sometimes leave me alone in a cutting room watching Charlie Brown cartoons he drew out of Film Storage, played on a film cutting machine.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Jules63 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:30 am
There was no "crown" coin by 1972, only half-crown anyway
There was no half-crown either, because Britain adopted decimal currency in 1971! (The half-crown was actually withdrawn at the start of 1970.)

brigham
D-MAC

Post by brigham »

Those coins say 'mythical mediæval monarch' to me, rather than 'serious grown-ups money programme'.

I like the half-crown, with a literal 'half-a-crown' on it. Reminds me of the Lundy 'half-puffin'.