2020- Missing Ace of wands(Any progress)

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

Re: 2020- Missing Ace of wands(Any progress)

Post by Mark »

Yes, it's excellent isn't it, I love the Library music compilations for the various stories.

Also nice to know that the BFI have the two Don Houghton scripts, "Now You See It, Now You Don't" and "Nightmare Gas", presumably rehearsal scripts.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

You probably know that Fred owl loves ti hear original viewers memories so Im going to ask what memories you have of the wiped series 1 serial "The mind robbers"? As we know no scripts or audio survives and only 2 publicity photos exist. Literally any memories of this story would be fascinating to hear.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Frustratingly, I can't recall "The Mind Robbers", I know I saw every episode of the series, never missed it, but as it gets further away!

I knew I had watched the "Sexton Blake" 1967 Christmas Day special, "The Vanishing Snowman", but couldn't recall details about it, until I read the script that is, and scenes came back to me, so it shows memories are still there, but need a trigger as time goes on.

Same thing happened with the ATV series "Virgin Of The Secret Service" from 1968, when I watched it on DVD for the first time in decades, every episode came back to me.

Let's hope some or all of the scripts turn up ( or better still, the episodes).

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Although a lot of people have shared their memories of it, what do you remember of the original title sequence? I've heard it was less impressive than the Series 3 titles but I've always wondered what it actually looked like for real, although fredowl on twitter has done a good reconstruction of them. Did tarots face appear in the intro like S3 except squiggled out and turn to the side view like in the screenshot from the titles in the scripts?

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

You should have a read at the scripts for "The Smile" which are included in the DVD pdf script archive if you haven't already as you said it's one of your favourites. Unfortunately the writer of the mind robbers died some time ago so contacting his family (of which there are no leads) to see if they kept examples of his work. Fredowl told me that the BFI Scripts were donated by the widow of Don Houghton Pik-Sen-Lim (who appeared In the doctor who story mind of evil - also written by him as Captain Chin Lee. I believe Trevor Preston scripts on the dvd were sourced from his own copies. It's a shame he passed away in 2018 as a proper interview with him would've been great. I still think it's shocking that nothing survives from Series 1 and 2 and even more shocking if no film recordings were made of them whatsoever. Though series 3 is very good.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I have read the scripts, of the missing episodes, and thoroughly enjoyed them, they did trigger off some memories, such as the scene of Tarot, Sam and Lulli pretending to be kids in the playground and of Mrs Kite being held at Tarot's pad.

Also the scene with Tony Selby and Reg Lye with his Taxi, I have been trying to work out where that scene was filmed.

As for the titles, I don't recall the face shot in the early series, I'm not sure who would have been responsible for the title sequence at Thames, but there were some similar style animated titles for several shows such as "Pardon My Genie" from around that time.

The wave line titles certainly rings big bells with me, but the opening of the reconstruction seems missing something, possibly photos of Tarot turning into the wave line, before it turns back into the side shot of him.

By the way, Vernon Dobtcheff is still with us, at 85, but he may recall about the production of "The Mind Robbers" ( he certainly recalled his "Doctor Who", "The War Games" well enough in an interview, some years ago).

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Thought I'd say that a load of unseen black and white photos from one and one and one are four have been unearthed on contact sheets. They are available to view on the Fredowl twitter account! There are also some ones from now you see it!

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

There are also some low quality photos from Now you see it, now you don't of falk robbing the bank, holding the manager at gunpoint and chloroforming the manager and having a look at the safe. Also looks as if Possibly Tim Curry is in one of the photos, being shot, or chloroformed as well.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the heads up, they are great!

Lets hope the negs still exist, somewhere!, and that there are more from other stories.

Bigger versions have been put up now.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

If you spot a twitter account called Mrsweetsbookshop98 that's me on twitter. Fredowl told me he has contacted TV Times but their photo archive is currently closed due to the coronavirus crisis. Let's hope they are still there!

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

And there is probably even more unseen photos from series 2. Loads were probably taken for all 3 series but many are probably in a archive forgotten about.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

ShutterStock bought the Rex Features library a while back...

https://www.rexfeatures.com/search/?kw= ... er=&iprs=f

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Unfortunately all of the photos there are known about and not unseen, but still interesting. There are more colour photos out there that haven't released, but Fredowl is working on trying to track them down as well as some magazine editors and authors on twitter trying to find out where the negatives are but everything had been put to a standstill due to the coronavirus

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

We had a thread on here a while back about potential photo sources like the TV Times, it's just a question of what survives.

With "Ace Of Wands", there's photos that appeared in mags like TV Zone, such as the ones from "Nightmare Gas", Tarot holding a skull and so on, and also the set photos from "The Power Of Atep".

There should me more photos from the original press call as well, and then there's the possibility of local papers covering location filming, there must be more around.

Same goes for many ITV series, there's the usual suspects around for "The Tomorrow People", but there must be more, the DVD photo galleries consisted of screen grabs ( probably ran out of budget), but a let down nonetheless.

Also a while back, I linked to some great location photos from "Do Not Adjust Your Set", from getsurrey, so there are some gems that turn up!

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

There are quite a few publicity photos that are good quality from the tommorow people here

https://www.rexfeatures.com/search/?via ... &lkw=&pg=1

Many of them weren't on the dvd, or even printed in magazines etc

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Scroll down past the 1990s series publicity photos until you get to the 1970s series ones

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Oh yes, seen those, they are the usual ones seen from "TTP", but as with "Ace Of Wands", there were others seen in magazines like TV Zone, some great B/W shots ( again as with "Ace Of Wands", probably TV Times and maybe some from Thames/Fremantle).

There was also a pic of Frances de Wolf ( in costume as Jedikiah) alongside Roger Price and Ruth , outside Euston Rd studios.

One of the B/W shots taken in studio was used for one of the fan cards, there is also a fan card for series 3 of "Ace Of Wands" featuring the three stars.

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

Hopefully on the future some photos of the giant chessboard from the eye of ra turn up. The quality of the stories in series 2 are fantastic. Shame absolutely none of the 4 story's were preserved in any format (that we know of)

ArchiveTvfan43
405 lines

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

It may have been from series 1 instead or not in the show at all, but someone recalls that in S2 there were firemans poles used to exit the HQ quickly. Apparently Tarot and Sam Use these to get down to the ground floor to get the motorbike in a hurry to sweets bookshop in seven serpents episode one. Though I don't see how that would work as the S2 apartment is at the top of a tower block? We know it's fairly high up as lulli almost falls to her death from the roof but luckily as you know tarot with the help of Mr Postle And Mr sweet manages to haul her back onto the roof. Do you remember what the S2 HQ looked like? It's hard to get an idea with the photos. Did it have a kitchen? Possibly a conversation pit? Was there a practice stage? There were definitely security monitors to see who was outside the apartment and a lift with possibly a classic sliding door?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The series 2 set was smaller for one thing, and modern looking, as can be seen in the pics, , a big table for sitting round and a basic area for rehearsing tricks..

The series 1 stage had blue screens at the back for CSO, as can be seen in one photo.

Nice to know it's not just me that can't recall much of "The Mind Robbers", even the great man himself can't either, one of Zandar's tricks perhaps!